DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Innapropriate plan for short tunnel exploration??

If you set up a normal digital camera up on a tripod and did a long exposure to get as much light as needed you might get a nice shot. You could shine a flashlight (Torch) as you call it and shoot the photo with that additional light too.

Reactions: Keerev
To be honest, whilst I applaud your sentiments, I would earnestly advise against it for all the reasons given above.
Looking at the photos, I would say the second one is pretty good and shows most of the tunnel without the inherent risks.
IF you do go ahead I wish you the best of luck and would love to see the results.
Take care. Peter
You guys can think up more ways to **** up a perfectly good drone than I can shake a stick at. But keep us posted because I think your goin to give it a try . Lol

I used to do mine survey work for evaluation of bat roosting sites, we used a rc toy tank on a long wire to explore dangerous adits and lowered it into shafts with bad cribbing. You will not be able to use radio remote control nor video feeds very far underground nor GPS.
Thanks
AMann
for your info. I can see your logic and my Grandson volunteered his 4x4 Wire Control model Jeep which is quite substantial, having survived 12mths of teenager abuse. It's just that the floor debris is substantial and Even my Grandson baulked at the challenge. I have the greatest admiration for the work you and mines explorers do, but this is not the appropriate site to discus. Many thanks for the benefit of your expertise.
keerev.

Reactions: AMann
If I wanted to do something like what you propose, I think that I would try it with a cheap drone. “Captain Drone” on YouTube does many reviews on inexpensive drones. Maybe one will suit your needs better. While losing a $150 drone would sting, losing a $1100 drone would break my heart. That way you could have a throw away drone that you could afford to take greater risks with. My 2 cents (or pence).
Thanks
Idealhobbies
for the idea. I recieved a super little DJI TELLO yesterday and have begun the quick training, intending to complete a go/return flight. I am not planning a "sacrificial" let alone a "suicidal" mission so will need to verify the capabilities before the attempt. Your principal of protecting my expensive Mavic Pro Platinum by using the much cheaper Tello makes much sense. I do however still plan to recover this great little beast as my real reason for purchase is, to keep my "hand-in" during the stormy winters we get here in West Wales, UK.
Thanks again, keerev.

There are a number of YouTube videos on using a mavic as a handheld stabilized camera. Didn’t check them out myself but you may want to as it may solve your issue and give you the benefit without the danger of flying it in the tunnel.
Thanks Jackcutrone for the idea. That seems a safe way to investigate this short tunnel (8metre). I will investigate this option.

The OP describes an "unstable" tunnel "including small falls of building stone". This makes going inside with any hand held option unwise. Looking at the pictures from post #8 it looks like all he needs is more light and a decent telephoto lens.
Thanks packnrat for you confidence in my photographic capabilities. I now avoid too much excitement so your idea is very attractive and under strong consideration. keerev.

I think the DJI Osmo Pocket set to 4K 50p would render the best results with someone carrying a small video light. I think your drone method is fraught with too many problems, especially loosing GPS.
Thanks Bigglesfliesundone. I am talking over a number of options, and just now, I discovered that the Mavic Pro Platinum camera is probably the best option of the 3 cameras I own. I believe that a hand-held rig is available for the MPP, but one friend thinks that he can modify a small rig he owns that is more suitable for this job.
keerev

There are a number of YouTube videos on using a mavic as a handheld stabilized camera. Didn’t check them out myself but you may want to as it may solve your issue and give you the benefit without the danger of flying it in the tunnel.
Hi Jackcutrone. Great minds think alike and you may see my reply to Bigglesfliesundone. That's a few independant opinions supporting the same principal so I think that I will follow you idea in one of the forms suggested. keerev

What about trying it with a small toy camera drone. No the video will not be "great" but you can see what is there and determine if it is actually worth risking the $$. Practice flying inside then give it a shot. the only downside would be the limited flight time but it the tunnel is straight through and only 25' long you should be able to maintain connection and they are not a apt to be affected by the metal in the tunnel. thoughts??
Thanks SCK and I recognise that the access shown in the photos look good. However, the tubular items are actually a number of metal rimmed cardboard containers. Do the idiots who dumped this rubbish have any idea how much damage they do? keerev

To be honest, whilst I applaud your sentiments, I would earnestly advise against it for all the reasons given above.
Looking at the photos, I would say the second one is pretty good and shows most of the tunnel without the inherent risks.
IF you do go ahead I wish you the best of luck and would love to see the results.
Take care. Peter
Thank you for the support and idea Peter. You may have seen my comments to SCK #16 which describes the debris. I think that the METAL rimmed cardboard barrels could be within reaching distance of something like a boat-hook, making a removal attempt, or at least a deflection, to leave less imposing obstructions. keerev

You guys can think up more ways to **** up a perfectly good drone than I can shake a stick at. But keep us posted because I think your goin to give it a try . Lol
Hi Olderguyjim. You sound as though you have been around long enough to recognise risk-takers". I think that my enthusiasm is tempered by my recognition that I didn't want to loose my investment and there are people like you with the common sense to question my methods. They give a wide range of sound advice to those of us who need it. That's the purpose of this site isn't it?
I like your approach of getting people to think again though. Thanks. keerev

I want you all to think of my "Mission Impossible" attempt to photograph an unstable small tunnel.
It's of great historical importance and was built into a walled embankment somewhere about 1795-1805.
It may collapse within a few years and could be related to the World Heritage Site near Llangollen in North Wales, UK.
Neglect of the entire site has resulted in increasing cracking of the entire structure, including small falls of building stone stone from the structure.
The story of the tunnel is lost in time, but poses more questions than you have room for here, but would be happy to expand on elsewhere.
The elevated embankment carried a single track railway, and is of a size that varies from 8 to10 m (25 to 30ft) wide, and runs for 1.2km (1/2 mile).
The tunnel runs at an angle through this embankment and has been blocked off at one end by a stone wall that is now failing.
Rubbish has been dumped, to half-fill this 2m x 2m tunnel, leaving little flying room.
Come on, chaps. Persuade me against the stupid, but desperate plan to record this before it falls down, or some authority makes it safe with a bull dozer.
If there are alternative approaches for an mere amateur, such as myself, please don't hesitate to tell me what you think as I know most of you know more than this new user.
I am on my 9th flight, the last 4 of which have been practising with kids toy tunnel tent, and brick pillars in my back garden.
I am flying a Mavic Pro Platinum, using "Tripod Mode", but struggling.
I have a thick skin, so just say your piece and I will not be offended.
Thanks for all of the great information that you all provide on this forum.
keerev.
Mount a GoPro on top of your car and drive through the tunnel with your headlights off. It will look the same and save you from crashing your drone.

I know you are just interested in a Hobby-type solution, but just FYI, this mission would be meat and drink to these guys - fully autonomous non-GPS guided drones currently being used in the deep mining industry. pretty cool stuff.
Powering Aerial Autonomy - Exyn

Unless there is a treasure at the other end, worth more than the Mavic, I don't see that it's worth the risk. Even if there was, you would still have to venture in there to retrieve it. But then I'm a little gun shy, since I did a few close quarters flights with my Phantom 3 Pro, that cost me more than one shipment to DJI for repairs. I haven't done that with the Mavic...yet.

I think the DJI Osmo Pocket set to 4K 50p would render the best results with someone carrying a small video light. I think your drone method is fraught with too many problems, especially loosing GPS.
You're right about losing GPS. Makes the drone immediately drift and walls are not perpendicular nor squared at all, and dimensions vary constantly. But walking with an OSMO may not be feasible either, depending on whether there are walkways and lighting. Would an old structure like that even be safe in entering due to falling rock or previous structures placed inside?

If I had a hankering to do it I would just spend the money
and buy thr Osmo Pocket and not take a chance flying mine.If I didn’t have the money then I would just go for it but
keep the outter bubble protector on it and walk right behind it. Is what I would do . And keep in mind what meta said .
Not really, all I would need is for someone say it can’t be done then I would go for it.
Ha! I bought the Osmo Mobile and use my Note 9. Freaking PERFECT for these sorts of "inside" shoots..

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi ScubaBob. What a singular solution! I think I would prefer the principles used by the Current stock of politicians, and utilise their utilisation of "Reverse Gravity". A quick run down the tunnel roof on my grandson's skateboard with a box-brownie should suffice. I can just imagine the comments from the gatekeeper when I meet St Peter or Old Nick. "I can't stop you coming in, but the Drone stays out there. We've been Geo-fenced"
Thanks for the chuckle. it's just what we all need now and then!
keerev

I know you are just interested in a Hobby-type solution, but just FYI, this mission would be meat and drink to these guys - fully autonomous non-GPS guided drones currently being used in the deep mining industry. pretty cool stuff.
Powering Aerial Autonomy - Exyn
Thank you Rubicon for a most interesting reference to follow-up. A quick look amazes me just how far this new technology has taken us. What a wonderful way to research the history and also future of our planet.
Thank you again.
keerev

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone