DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air Dairy - Accessories & Shell Change

ABHIII

Reactions
Hi, I was always fascinated by Drones & i wanted to buy one someday. Eventually I decided to buy myself a cheap Chinese one for a max budget of 80$. As usual i started looking at videos on YouTube for reviews, tutorials etc on the models i thought were ok for first time flying. YouTube keep recommending various more videos all the time. I saw the DJI tello AD in which those cool teens are flying it across the room, doing flip & other wannabe cool stuff & i said to myself Wooh, i need to buy this one. More videos on it. i made up my mind to buy the Tello, Small, Cheap with Intel inside, yeah yeah. But YouTube had other plans. Now it recommended videos on DJI Spark. Amazing small Drone, Good Range, Gimbal, various Modes etc etc. I was like, oh. why not this? Tello seems to look like a baby Toy. I don't want my friends mocking me on it. More reviews on YouTube, more time wasted. I spoke to a friend who has a DJI Phantom 4 pro. He said Naah, Spark is outdated, "Mate look at DJI Mavic Pro". Once again i go bonkers over it. So i googled more info on it Big, Long range, Occusync, 3 axis Gimbal etc. One look at the price & my mind kicks some sense into me, too expensive mate. But now God Google understood my Dilemma. His pupil Mr YouTube again recommended what i really 'wanted'. well, i get tempted too easily. Taa Daa THE DJI MAVIC AIR. The AD says it all "when people say sky's the limit, why stop there" blah blah & blah. Take my money DJI. So few days later & 1000$ poorer, I got myself a MAVIC AIR Fly more Combo.

IMG_20181211_191202.jpg

So here's the Story of WEEK 1

DJI guy gave me the basic tutorial. I got it home, fiddled around. Saw more videos on what to do & what not to do. I flew it around a bit for couple of days but not more than 30 meters away. Well, I was excited & scared at the same time. I read lot about those fly away. It would a shame to lose it within a week. On day 3 i had my first crash, i was flying during the night. I didn't spot a cable in the dark & my mavic air decided to hug it. It flipped upside down & landed on its shell. Luckily i had propeller guards on it. The propellers were still spinning when it crashed. I carefully lifted it off the ground & turned it off. It suffered minor damaged, Scratches all over the shell & propellers. Later i realized the sensors don't work in the dark. It wouldn't have spotted the slim cable anyway.
IMG_20181214_185442.jpg

I inspect the drone for more damaged & changed the Propellers. I flew it the next day. It flew alright.
IMG_20181216_161838.jpg

Reactions: devisger and Mrmund
I was bit upset that i crashed my drone like an idiot. I learned my lesson that sensors dont work in the dark & always survey your surroundings before flying. Meanwhile I searched for shells on Aliexpress & found many sellers. I've previous experience of buying from their site. it had been satisfactory. I ordered couple of shells, Red & black. Along with PGYTECH Lens Anti-glare Protector. It arrived in 12 days time.
IMG_20181226_140214.jpgIMG_20181226_140152.jpg

The PGYTECH Hood is about 4 gm, it Fits very well on the Drone & the quality is also excellent. It's made out of ABS so i guess it should protect the Gimbal in hard crashes. Importantly one can easily put the drone inside the DJI Case with the hood attached. i find it better than the default Gimbal cover provided by DJI. More accessories review coming up soon.

I was bit upset that i crashed my drone like an idiot. I learned my lesson that sensors dont work in the dark & always survey your surroundings before flying. Meanwhile I searched for shells on Aliexpress & found many sellers. I've previous experience of buying from their site. it had been satisfactory. I ordered couple of shells, Red & black. Along with PGYTECH Lens Anti-glare Protector. It arrived in 12 days time.
View attachment 57410View attachment 57411

The PGYTECH Hood is about 4 gm, it Fits very well on the Drone & the quality is also excellent. It's made out of ABS so i guess it should protect the Gimbal in hard crashes. Importantly one can easily put the drone inside the DJI Case with the hood attached. i find it better than the default Gimbal cover provided by DJI. More accessories review coming up soon.

Don't forget that the OEM gimbal cover holds the gimbal and camera securely during transport preventing damage

Don't forget that the OEM gimbal cover holds the gimbal and camera securely during transport preventing damage

Yes, I agree. The default cover keep the gimbal securely in place while in transit. I find the pgytech better as I can directly turn the Drone on without worrying about forgetting to remove the default cover which can burn the gimbal Motors.

Hi, so finally my shell covers arrived from Singapore though i purchased them from Aliexpress. I had ordered 2, Flame Red and Onyx Black. The shells are upto mark. The challenge was disassembly. I went through some videos on YouTube. The latest batch of Mavic air don't have screws under the Gimbal. I guess DJI realized that they were not need under the sensitive Gimbal area. It took a while to remove the upper shell but in the end it was a Big success.
IMG_20190101_145259.jpgIMG_20181231_144948.jpgIMG_20181231_145045.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave AA