DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI's on hand landing.

jwilson

Reactions
I broke 3 propellers landing on narrow boats. So I tried a hand landing, and it went well. I rotated the drone upside down to stop the propellers. So I emailed DJI this.

I've damaged a number of propellers on recent flights, mainly landing on narrow boats.
If I hand catch my drone, is it ok to turn it over so it's facing down, to stop the propellers? Since I fly with a tablet, I can't really operate Fly while I'm holding my drone. Thanks, Steve

This was their response.

Please don't catch the aircraft when the propeller is rotating. It may hurt your hand. We recommend you to take off and land the drone on the ground.

So when I'm on a boat, not because I want to be, I should still take off, and land, on land. Great advice!

So I'm on a boat, anchored in the ocean. How do I take off on land? Swim to shore, holding the drone in my teeth?

What did you expect? DJI's not going to tell people to do "potentially more dangerous than they need to be" things.

Flipping it works but is even more dangerous than just a normal hand catch and stop motors, but... you do you.

What did you expect? DJI's not going to tell people to do "potentially more dangerous than they need to be" things.

Flipping it works but is even more dangerous than just a normal hand catch and stop motors, but... you do you.
I don't see how it is dangerous. I was just worried than the stress you put on it might weaken it somehow.

Well if your fingers slip while it's fighting you flipping it you'll have a nasty surprise... but no it won't care about spinning the motors faster, that's what it does all the time in flight anyway.

Well if your fingers slip while it's fighting you flipping it you'll have a nasty surprise... but no it won't care about spinning the motors faster, that's what it does all the time in flight anyway.
Yea, I can see if your fingers slipped, it would be a major problem. You just have to make sure you grip it really tight.

@jwilson the fact that the motors stop when the drone is flipped over is because in the event of a lost or damaged prop, or props during flight ,that causes the drone to tumble as it descends, is just part of the system, to protect whatever the drone eventually connects with ,when it reaches the end of its descent,and to some extent ,the spinning remaining props, causing further damage to the structure of the drone itself, such as landing in a tree for instance
it was never intended to be used as a means of stopping the motors during the practice of hand catching
and it does put additional stresses on the airframe ,motors ,and props ,if used ,on a regular basis

I don't see how it is dangerous. I was just worried than the stress you put on it might weaken it somehow.
It's not dangerous (as long as nothing goes wrong).
If you fly from a boat, you need to hand launch and catch.
It's not hard, bring the drone down onto your hand and hold the left stick down till the props stop.

in the event of a lost or damaged prop, or props during flight ,that causes the drone to tumble as it descends, is just part of the system, to protect whatever the drone eventually connects with ,when it reaches the end of its descent,and to some extent ,the spinning remaining props, causing further damage to the structure of the drone itself, such as landing in a tree for instance
Lose a prop in flight and the motors will continue to run.

DJI has a building full of legal people that I am sure have advised DJI to NOT recommend landing a drone in your hand. Imagine the liability they would have if they provided instructions for you to land on your hand! Sure you can do it Many Do! BUT Yes it can cost you a trip to the emergency room for bigger drones. DJI Drones are programmed with a very high MORON SETTING ( YES its a real name for a real thing!!) this Moron setting "sets the limits of the amount of "angle" the drone can be sitting to start. If the moron setting is 35 then the drone will not start OR will shut off if the drone reaches an angle of 35 degrees In landing or in takeoff. when you flip the drone over in your hand you are initiating the Moron failsafe ( yes the name is Moron). there is nothing wrong with doing that BUT watch out for yourself and persons around you while doing it. MY 2 Cents.....

Reactions: jwilson
Since I fly with a tablet, I can't really operate Fly while I'm holding my drone. Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve.

Purchase a neck lanyard for the remote.

This will make hand launch / landing much easier to hold the remote while pulling the left stick down with one hand and landing in the other.

Keep holding the left stick down after landing to shut the motors off.

I tried flipping my SPARK back in the day and neither one of us cared for it.

Funny thing about the SPARK, DJI encouraged the palm land / launch.

I fly a MA2 with a Tripltek tablet and the lanyard helps quite a bit.

I broke 3 propellers landing on narrow boats. So I tried a hand landing, and it went well. I rotated the drone upside down to stop the propellers. So I emailed DJI this.

I've damaged a number of propellers on recent flights, mainly landing on narrow boats.
If I hand catch my drone, is it ok to turn it over so it's facing down, to stop the propellers? Since I fly with a tablet, I can't really operate Fly while I'm holding my drone. Thanks, Steve

This was their response.

Please don't catch the aircraft when the propeller is rotating. It may hurt your hand. We recommend you to take off and land the drone on the ground.

So when I'm on a boat, not because I want to be, I should still take off, and land, on land. Great advice!

So I'm on a boat, anchored in the ocean. How do I take off on land? Swim to shore, holding the drone in my teeth?
You should consider getting the Rescue Jacket for your drone as it entire Purpose it to allow landing on the boat and on the Water while increasing your VLOS to 3000 Ft.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Boat

Reactions: jwilson
@jwilson the fact that the motors stop when the drone is flipped over is because in the event of a lost or damaged prop, or props during flight ,that causes the drone to tumble as it descends, is just part of the system, to protect whatever the drone eventually connects with ,when it reaches the end of its descent,and to some extent ,the spinning remaining props, causing further damage to the structure of the drone itself, such as landing in a tree for instance
it was never intended to be used as a means of stopping the motors during the practice of hand catching
and it does put additional stresses on the airframe ,motors ,and props ,if used ,on a regular basis
I do not believe it stresses anything.

When I had a Phantom, I used to hand-land it occasionally. The landing gear was large enough to get a grip on it and still use one hand to shut it down. Also, no obstacle avoidance. Now, with a Mavic, it doesn't like it when I reach for it because of the obstacle avoid thing. If the ground is dusty or sandy, I either use the little round landing pad or my car roof. As for a boat so small that it threatens the props... I just don't. I don't like flying over water anyway. I know that IF it's going to malfunction, it'll probably be over water.

I catch my drones all the time. I agree that flipping is pretty dangerous not only to the pilot but also to the drone. There's a tremendous amount of torque when trying to flip the drone and it doesn't take much force for the drone to slip out of one's hand. I just wait for the props to come to a full stop after it lands on the palm of my hand.

Reactions: rp6 and Cafguy
Why the props stop isn't important. It's just a feature we can take advantage of. Like I said, it's possible the stress on the drone doing this could damage your drone.

It's not dangerous (as long as nothing goes wrong).
If you fly from a boat, you need to hand launch and catch.
It's not hard, bring the drone down onto your hand and hold the left stick down till the props stop.
Since I use a tablet and tablet holder, it's hard to move the sticks with one hand, but I will see if I can do that next time, rather than turn it upside down.

I thought I knew how to hand catch my Air 2 in my first week of flying……NOT!
My brother in law cut his finger while hand catching my drone. I didn't even want him to do it. I hurt my thumb in Thailand. I was coming through a very small opening, and it looked like it would hit something. So I grabbed at it, rather than watch it crash. My thumb hurt me for a long time.

When I had a Phantom, I used to hand-land it occasionally. The landing gear was large enough to get a grip on it and still use one hand to shut it down. Also, no obstacle avoidance. Now, with a Mavic, it doesn't like it when I reach for it because of the obstacle avoid thing. If the ground is dusty or sandy, I either use the little round landing pad or my car roof. As for a boat so small that it threatens the props... I just don't. I don't like flying over water anyway. I know that IF it's going to malfunction, it'll probably be over water.
In my opinion, to hand catch, you have to turn obstacle avoidance off first. That's what I do.

Reactions: Squidinc
I catch my drones all the time. I agree that flipping is pretty dangerous not only to the pilot but also to the drone. There's a tremendous amount of torque when trying to flip the drone and it doesn't take much force for the drone to slip out of one's hand. I just wait for the props to come to a full stop after it lands on the palm of my hand.
So if you just hold it, the props will stop automatically?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections