DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

**** my pants

nervous flyer

Reactions
Thank goodness I had it in sight when I lost connection. Was getting low battery warning. All of a sudden disconnected and that's when I **** my pants. Tried not to panic but I did anyway. About 1 minute into just watching it stay still, it then came back to home. I do believe I could have take control of it manually to fly it back. Is that correct?

You will gain more confidence if you practice flying home manually , try returning from a short distance to start with , and work your way up to longer distances , once you master that you wont panic when something goes wrong next time . We all press the RTH button it's usually very efficient , but best be prepared if something goes wrong

Reactions: nervous flyer
I had just got it, second flight. Thanks for replying. Pants are stained forever as a warning not to panic[emoji16]
Go and read the RTH section of the manual, then go to a large open area and experiment with RTH so you know what it can do and how to use it.

You will gain more confidence if you practice flying home manually , try returning from a short distance to start with , and work your way up to longer distances , once you master that you wont panic when something goes wrong next time . We all press the RTH button it's usually very efficient , but best be prepared if something goes wrong
Oddly enough I never trust the RTH and from day 1 always return manually. It's really not that difficult and I find the RTH speed is not that efficient. Returning at the highest speed is the most efficient and RTH doesn't do that.

Reactions: EyeFlightDrone
Don't think I've ever used it intentionally, apart from in the very early days to show it off. Much better to have full control in my opinion.

Thank goodness I had it in sight when I lost connection. Was getting low battery warning. All of a sudden disconnected and that's when I **** my pants. Tried not to panic but I did anyway. About 1 minute into just watching it stay still, it then came back to home. I do believe I could have take control of it manually to fly it back. Is that correct?

After before all else fails, read the manual:p

Oddly enough I never trust the RTH and from day 1 always return manually. It's really not that difficult and I find the RTH speed is not that efficient. Returning at the highest speed is the most efficient and RTH doesn't do that.
I don't believe that's true. I believe sweet spot is about 22mph. Better yet, look at flight conditions in the specs for max flight time.

I've had a few "oh no" moments with my P3A. One was in heavy wind where I was way over water and received "prop obstruction" along with "prop loose". A second later it occurred to me, I'm watching perfectly stable FPV. Probably a strong updraft went against one pair of props and with the other pair.
Another time I flew it up river and lost connection. Waited 4 minutes then got Low Battery, returning home.
Checked video and flight logs, AC was still receiving, just RC wasn't.

... About 1 minute into just watching it stay still, it then came back to home. I do believe I could have take control of it manually to fly it back. Is that correct?
Yes, you can cancel RTH once you regain control. Now go and clean your pants.
That’s not what he was asking.
He had a lost connection RTH and was asking if he could regain control and fly back manually. The answer is yes, he can press the pause button on the RC to cancel RTH and fly it back manually.

Start with understanding that you can fly it without a viewing device. That’s something most don’t understand. Disconnected is such a misleading and confusing error for the beginner. Panic when the rc light turns red!
Until then you always have control.

I tested the first 60 seconds of the failsafe RTH. Flew out in a straight line and changed direction. While flying in that direction I turned off my controller. It retraced it route for the next 60 seconds before flying back to home. If you dont know this about the failsafe, you would panic because the drone doesnt look like it is returning home. The first 60 seconds is the only thing different from the smart RTH. It is page 18 of the user manual.

Reactions: Duke846
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98