DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Part 107 Experience (For those not yet certified)

Hadyomama

Reactions
Like lots of folks, after I plunked down $175 bucks, I was reluctant to spend even $99 more for a study course, guaranteed pass or not. I found Northrup's YouTube study guide as well as those of Altitude University and Gary Glenn. I watched the latter two once each and then stuck with Northrup's for a total of four or five complete runthroughs in the month before the test date. I also found and took two different practice tests, which I passed (barely - 74%). This somehow gave me the confidence to slack on the study part, for the most part, until the last week and a half during which I did most of the watching - I like pressure :)

The day of the test, I got up early and watched Northrup one more time and felt pretty confident. I poked around for more information while I was waiting to go to the testing center and in the last hour before leaving, stumbled upon two "I just took the part 107 test 2022" videos and boy am I glad I did.

In both of them, the creators seemed a bit shell-shocked and weary. In both of them, came the same message: You will see questions you never saw in any of the study materal.

I was somewhat less than confident at this point.

Spoiler: This turned out to be completely true.

I let go of any attachment to the outcome and remained calm as I signed paperwork, emptied my pockets into the security locker and waited. The proctor finally collected me and led me into the room filled with cubicals and the hum of soundproofing white noise. I was handed "the book", a couple of pencils and a piece of paper accompanied by a clear piece of lexan, a dry erase marker and a calculator. I've tested for a ton of Microsoft certs and this wasn't unlike those - lots of pre-test instructional bits on how to navigate the test on the computer and the "if we catch you cheating ot talking, you will be banished forever" warnings.

I put the sound deadening headphones on (as I did for all my MS certs) and pushed on.

The first quarter of the test, I was sailing, recognizing test questions and feeling great. Then, in the second quarter, I was horrified as the warnings came true. I hadn't even heard of much of what was presented. I began bookmarking and bookmarking and again, bookmarking questions. Third quarter (I think) is where the sectional charts came which was fine, except for the fact that I didn't recieve the magnifying glass all the study materials promised - I spent a considerable amount of time with my nose pressed against the sectional chart, trying to find a microscopic little town called Winnebago. lol.

The last quarter was a mix of things I knew and questions that needed bookmarked.

I went back over each of the bookmarked questions slowly and deliberately and answered as logically as seemed possible. I then clicked "finish", expecting to get the "Microsoft Mile" calculating your results bit, which I did, but after came not my results, but a sort of customer satisfaction sort of quiz with three possible answers to each question - weird.

I was then presented with the oportunity to complete and exit the exam, which I did, and looked at the computer clock (they had confiscated my analog diver's watch before the test) - an hour and a half had passed in a heartbeat.

I went to see the proctor who took her sweet *ss time shuffling things and having me sign even more paperwork before she changed the paper in the printer from whiat I imagined was "Certification Blue" to "Thanks for Playing" white before printing a page and sliding it toward me.

I saw my name and I saw "Congratulations" and got the same wave of elation I got from every Microsoft certification I ever passed - the weight of the world suddenly lifted from my shoulders.

I passed with 82%, a solid B.

My advice: Realize this test is no joke. Study, Study, Study. Stay Calm. TAKE YOUR TIME. Use your logical intellect and most of all, ask for the **** magnifying glass.

Hope this helps, you can do it :)

EDIT: It should be noted that the YouTube study courses mentioned are waay outdated, but the only valuable ones I could find.

Also worth a mention I suppose, is that I took and passed my examination on 02 June of this year :)

Last edited:
Great post. I'm currently studying, and have been for the past few months (had to schedule for the end of June due to work, and I already had a day off scheduled for other business in the nearest town with a PSI, about 20 miles away). I've just stumbled onto the Drone Coach series on youtube, and found it to be excellent, as well as the ones you mentioned. The only study-related money I've spent is for hard copies of the FAA study guide and the testing supplement, which has been money well spent (for me, at least).

Reactions: Hadyomama
Congratulations on passing the test and your post was well written.
Congrats, I already asked someone, but can you confirm that you can skip questions? And can you go back and change an answer? A lot of times in practice tests I'll get something wrong and then 2 questions later another pops up which kind of makes you see the other was wrong. You understand what I'm saying? Thanks,and Happy skies to ya,Hope to see you soon.
PS Should have been done already, cept I keep buying and flying.LOL

Congrats, I already asked someone, but can you confirm that you can skip questions? And can you go back and change an answer? A lot of times in practice tests I'll get something wrong and then 2 questions later another pops up which kind of makes you see the other was wrong. You understand what I'm saying? Thanks,and Happy skies to ya,Hope to see you soon.
I recall being able to go back to previously completed questions when I took and passed the test back in April 2022.

I've not taken the exam yet, but information I've seen indicates that you can 'bookmark' unanswered questions to return to them later.

You can review all of the questions before finalizing. I bookmarked questions I was not sure of for review.
You're going to do great!

Great post. I'm currently studying, and have been for the past few months (had to schedule for the end of June due to work, and I already had a day off scheduled for other business in the nearest town with a PSI, about 20 miles away). I've just stumbled onto the Drone Coach series on youtube, and found it to be excellent, as well as the ones you mentioned. The only study-related money I've spent is for hard copies of the FAA study guide and the testing supplement, which has been money well spent (for me, at least).
Thank You! based upon your post, I feel like you're going to get a High Score!

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
Like lots of folks, after I plunked down $175 bucks, I was reluctant to spend even $99 more for a study course, guaranteed pass or not. I found Northrup's YouTube study guide as well as those of Altitude University and Gary Glenn. I watched the latter two once each and then stuck with Northrup's for a total of four or five complete runthroughs in the month before the test date. I also found and took two different practice tests, which I passed (barely - 74%). This somehow gave me the confidence to slack on the study part, for the most part, until the last week and a half during which I did most of the watching - I like pressure :)

The day of the test, I got up early and watched Northrup one more time and felt pretty confident. I poked around for more information while I was waiting to go to the testing center and in the last hour before leaving, stumbled upon two "I just took the part 107 test 2022" videos and boy am I glad I did.

In both of them, the creators seemed a bit shell-shocked and weary. In both of them, came the same message: You will see questions you never saw in any of the study materal.

I let go of any attachment to the outcome and remained calm as I signed paperwork, emptied my pockets into the security locker and waited. The proctor finally collected me and led me into the room filled with cubicals and the hum of soundproofing white noise. I was handed "the book", a couple of pencils and a piece of paper accompanied by a clear piece of lexan, a dry erase marker and a calculator. I've tested for a ton of Microsoft certs and this wasn't unlike those - lots of pre-test instructional bits on how to navigate the test on the computer and the "if we catch you cheating ot talking, you will be banished forever" warnings.

I put the sound deadening headphones on (as I did for all my MS certs) and pushed on.

The first quarter of the test, I was sailing, recognizing test questions and feeling great. Then, in the second quarter, I was horrified as the warnings came true. I hadn't even heard of much of what was presented. I began bookmarking and bookmarking and again, bookmarking questions. Third quarter (I think) is where the sectional charts came which was fine, except for the fact that I didn't recieve the magnifying glass all the study materials promised - I spent a considerable amount of time with my nose pressed against the sectional chart, trying to find a microscopic little town called Winnebago. lol.

The last quarter was a mix of things I knew and questions that needed bookmarked.

I went back over each of the bookmarked questions slowly and deliberately and answered as logically as seemed possible. I then clicked "finish", expecting to get the "Microsoft Mile" calculating your results bit, which I did, but after came not my results, but a sort of customer satisfaction sort of quiz with three possible answers to each question - weird.

I was then presented with the oportunity to complete and exit the exam, which I did, and looked at the computer clock (they had confiscated my analog diver's watch before the test) - an hour and a half had passed in a heartbeat.

I went to see the proctor who took her sweet *ss time shuffling things and having me sign even more paperwork before she changed the paper in the printer from whiat I imagined was "Certification Blue" to "Thanks for Playing" white before printing a page and sliding it toward me.

I saw my name and I saw "Congratulations" and got the same wave of elation I got from every Microsoft certification I ever passed - the weight of the world suddenly lifted from my shoulders.

My advice: Realize this test is no joke. Study, Study, Study. Stay Calm. TAKE YOUR TIME. Use your logical intellect and most of all, ask for the **** magnifying glass.

EDIT: It should be noted that the YouTube study courses mentioned are waay outdated, but the only valuable ones I could find.

Also worth a mention I suppose, is that I took and passed my examination on 02 June of this year :)
Congratulations! A win is a win and you won. (Thanks for sharing your testing experience with us. I found it an enjoyable and enlightening read)

Congratulations . . . I can (and always will) appreciate a well written storyline.

This EXACTLY mirrors my test experience. I thought I was ready, that I had seen all the material...nope!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580