DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Results: Yagi vs. Std antenna on MA2

prestonrich

Reactions
I just bought and tested the FVW Yagi-UDA Remote Controller Antenna for the MA2. It is 5.8Ghz Signal Extender.

Flying from my balcony height of 97 ft. in a straight line to a totally clear and unobstructed eastern horizon, I have the following one best max range result for each method over 3 runs each. Both quoted ranges successfully returned home on RTH. One fully charged battery, light 9 mph cross wind partly cloudy skies, Std mode, 23mph, alt 355 ft. Connection lost and recovered several times on each trip, alt 325-375 ft.

Stock antenna: 12,331 ft.
Yagi antenna: 14,956 ft.

Not bad for a passive solution

Reactions: Pallidin
See similar improvements (and total distances) on my MA1 also, the Yagi adds some 1300m vs stock (the battery sets the limit unfortunately). The improvement is very noticeable both on the 2.4 & 5.8 GHz frequency (have of course different yagis for the 2 frequencies).

Think the overall strength for the MA1 isn't actually the increased distance ... instead that the yagis boost the enhanced WiFi connection reliability in disturbed areas. That shouldn't be a problem for the MA2 though, with it's Occusync.

Bottom line ... yagis is kind of more valuable for the models without Occusync.

I thought the Air 2 would have gone further.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Just thought it would have been more. Have had the Mini over 12,000
under 70’ And it’s just wifi. Thing with the mini the signal bar is ether
there or gone. You have to watch your screen for pixelation to adjust
your antenna.

The max distance is heavily dependent on the surroundings (obstacles and interference will heavily affect total distance). This was a fare and accurate test for this particular environment but also a good reference for percentage of gain you’d expect for other environments.

Reactions: zeusfl
I usually have to rotate the drone a little at that distance to check the registration to make sure that it's mine that I'm looking at ?

• Haha
Reactions: Kyle76 and zeusfl
where do you get the Yagis.. most places don't say the frequency.

That was me in stock antenna and 3 spotters looking from the ground

MA2.jpg

My experience with the Yagi's (1 flight) is that in a clear unobstructed path, it adds 1 extra bar of signal. During that flight I flew to 10.8km which I knew is practically close to the limit. So it worked all the way...

So I'd say if you want another perspective other than plain distance, just assume that everytime you are suffering from bad signal level, a yagi (5.8) can add 1 more bar and fly a bit further....

My experience with the Yagi's (1 flight) is that in a clear unobstructed path, it adds 1 extra bar of signal. During that flight I flew to 10.8km which I knew is practically close to the limit. So it worked all the way...

So I'd say if you want another perspective other than plain distance, just assume that everytime you are suffering from bad signal level, a yagi (5.8) can add 1 more bar and fly a bit further....

Have you tried yagi and parabolic together ?

No, I have not really seen an off the shelf parabolic + yagi that can fit with my phone as well, is there a new dinky contraption I should spend some money on? ;)

I seen few testing together and is the best combination. For the price is unbeatable.

No, I have not really seen an off the shelf parabolic + yagi that can fit with my phone as well, is there a new dinky contraption I should spend some money on? ;)

Ebay has them just search for "Signal Booster Yagi Antenna & Reflector Range Extender for Mavic Mini Drone" you could try and adapt them to the MA2

1602035614938.png

Last edited:
I guess for MA2 the only booster is the Allientech DUO or DUO II with the kit for MA2. You can also use the same bracket and install SMA connectors if you wish. But I prefer QMA since there is QMA to SMA converters available so you can use both.

ALIENTECH PRO Refit Bracket & Cables Kit for DJI Mavic air 2 RC

Allientech DUO Antenna

QMA to SMA Converter

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian