DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My review of the BT-300s

Mavflyer

Reactions
As I'm sure most of us here have done, I was recently looking for a way to better see the camera view from my Mavic Pro. I had used phones, tablets with sun shades, and the DJI goggles until I came across the BT-300s. After watching some reviews I thought, "These are just what I need." I went ahead and bought a pair. I found that there are pros and cons to these glasses, and unfortunately the cons outweighed the pros for me, so I ended up selling them. I thought I would post my pros and cons list here to maybe help others who may be in the market for such a product.

PROS
1. Much smaller and lighter than the DJI goggles. If you have ever used the DJI goggles, you know that they are quite large and bulky, almost to the point of being uncomfortable to wear. The BT-300s are much better in this regard.
2. The ability to see around you while wearing them. This was a huge plus for me, because I don't like people walking up on me with me knowing. These definitely allow you to see the world around you as you fly.
3. The ability to side load apps. Being able to use apps like Netflix on these are a major plus. It makes them much more useful than if they were only able to used for flying.

CONS
1. The control unit is basically an old school touchpad, and operates as one would expect an old school touchpad to operate. If you remember how trying to use the touchpad on laptops was mildly annoying, it's basically the same thing here. Wonky controls.
2. The hardware they use to run the software seems a little outdated. The OS doesn't run terribly fast and the unit gets quite hot from normal use. I think they used older hardware than they should have to save a little money. It works, but the performance leaves something to be desired.
3. The nose piece. While I did mention one of the pros as being more comfortable than the DJI goggles, they aren't totally comfortable. You will know you are wearing them. The nose piece is made out of hard plastic and will start to become very noticeable after extended use. Not bad enough to stop your flight early, but you will find relief in removing the glasses.
4. This is by far the biggest con on this list(for me), and the deciding factor of me selling them. The displays in the glasses are a set distance apart. This led to me being able to see only about half the display out of each eye. Many manufacturers in products like these will include an IPD(interpupillary distance) adjustment, and unfortunately Epson did not include this. I'm not some huge, abnormal guy either. I'm about 6'2" 200lbs. I'm a little bigger than average, but far from an extreme case. If you aren't "average sized" I would definitely try to borrow a pair before you invest 6 or 7 hundred dollars in them to make sure you can actually see them.

Conclusion
As stated before, I was not able to fully see the displays due to them being a set distance apart. If this weren't the case, I would probably use these all the time. They are visible in bright light, are lightweight, and allow you to see the world around you. Unfortunately you have to fit the glasses. You would think they would make the glasses fit you, but no, you have to fit the glasses.

As I'm sure most of us here have done, I was recently looking for a way to better see the camera view from my Mavic Pro. I had used phones, tablets with sun shades, and the DJI goggles until I came across the BT-300s. After watching some reviews I thought, "These are just what I need." I went ahead and bought a pair. I found that there are pros and cons to these glasses, and unfortunately the cons outweighed the pros for me, so I ended up selling them. I thought I would post my pros and cons list here to maybe help others who may be in the market for such a product.

PROS
1. Much smaller and lighter than the DJI goggles. If you have ever used the DJI goggles, you know that they are quite large and bulky, almost to the point of being uncomfortable to wear. The BT-300s are much better in this regard.
2. The ability to see around you while wearing them. This was a huge plus for me, because I don't like people walking up on me with me knowing. These definitely allow you to see the world around you as you fly.
3. The ability to side load apps. Being able to use apps like Netflix on these are a major plus. It makes them much more useful than if they were only able to used for flying.

CONS
1. The control unit is basically an old school touchpad, and operates as one would expect an old school touchpad to operate. If you remember how trying to use the touchpad on laptops was mildly annoying, it's basically the same thing here. Wonky controls.
2. The hardware they use to run the software seems a little outdated. The OS doesn't run terribly fast and the unit gets quite hot from normal use. I think they used older hardware than they should have to save a little money. It works, but the performance leaves something to be desired.
3. The nose piece. While I did mention one of the pros as being more comfortable than the DJI goggles, they aren't totally comfortable. You will know you are wearing them. The nose piece is made out of hard plastic and will start to become very noticeable after extended use. Not bad enough to stop your flight early, but you will find relief in removing the glasses.
4. This is by far the biggest con on this list(for me), and the deciding factor of me selling them. The displays in the glasses are a set distance apart. This led to me being able to see only about half the display out of each eye. Many manufacturers in products like these will include an IPD(interpupillary distance) adjustment, and unfortunately Epson did not include this. I'm not some huge, abnormal guy either. I'm about 6'2" 200lbs. I'm a little bigger than average, but far from an extreme case. If you aren't "average sized" I would definitely try to borrow a pair before you invest 6 or 7 hundred dollars in them to make sure you can actually see them.

Conclusion
As stated before, I was not able to fully see the displays due to them being a set distance apart. If this weren't the case, I would probably use these all the time. They are visible in bright light, are lightweight, and allow you to see the world around you. Unfortunately you have to fit the glasses. You would think they would make the glasses fit you, but no, you have to fit the glasses.
I appreciate your cons. I have the BT-300s as well and here's how I remediated exactly your concerns:

First of all, I have the ACE Solitaire enclosure for them. I LOVE that. You still keep the outside awareness, but you get far more of the immersive experience of a goggle. Plus, when you're watching Netflix or Youtube, you can click on the black out shades and you're completely isolated. Pretty good. When you put on the Solitaire, you remove the nose piece, so that's not an issue. The Solitaire is comfortable, light weight, and secure.

My eyes are also narrower than the screens and I get a bit of double vision. Rochester Optical makes an insert that compensates for that difference (Here's the link). People who have it swear by it. I just ordered one to compensate for my inter-pupilary distance and also to add in my prescription (distance). I will report back here when I get them and try them out. As an aside, you give them your distance prescription because although the screens are right on your head, your vision sees the screens at a distance of 5 meters...so you use your distance glasses!

I picked up a Bluetooth Mouse and Bluetooth Keyboard to use with this set up. I don't use them when I'm flying, but when I use the glasses for other applications, I just find the mouse easier to use than the touchpad. Personally, I hate ALL touchpads...being an IBM guy who grew up on the trackpoint, I can't get used to touchpads. The keyboard I picked up is amazing...it's made by iClever, weighs next to nothing and folds smaller than a 5x7. I picked up both the mouse and keyboard for under $45. I find the unit completely suitable for my needs. I've also gotten pretty good at using the touchpad. It takes getting used to the touch, it's firmer than you think. If you try to go lightly, it gets a lot of false clicks...whereas, if you're firm, it works pretty well. I've gotten good at it when in flight (the only time I use the touchpad).

I can't speak for the speed of the processor. It plays videos just fine, it drives OTG cables...I'm not sure what else I need. It does get hot, but not burning hot.

The last thing is that I just learned how to cast the glasses to another android device via mirracast. The casting (sending) side is built into the BT-300s, you just need to install a receiving app on the other device and it just works. This is amazing for letting other people watch what the drone sees as I fly with the goggles.

I'm loving my BT-300s. Granted, I've spent a great deal on them ($700 for the glasses, 100 for the Solitaire, 50 for the solitaire sun shield, 200 for the RX Insert, 45 for the keyboard and mouse), but now my only con is that there aren't enough true AR applications available for them. Lots of demos and a few field support applications, but I'd love to see more real AR.

Flying the drone with the glasses in the enclosure is amazing. SOOO much better than on a tablet or phone. Plus, you get the immersion without losing LOS - and a pretty cool Android device that you can use for a lot of other applications.

- Gary

I appreciate your cons. I have the BT-300s as well and here's how I remediated exactly your concerns:

First of all, I have the ACE Solitaire enclosure for them. I LOVE that. You still keep the outside awareness, but you get far more of the immersive experience of a goggle. Plus, when you're watching Netflix or Youtube, you can click on the black out shades and you're completely isolated. Pretty good. When you put on the Solitaire, you remove the nose piece, so that's not an issue. The Solitaire is comfortable, light weight, and secure.

My eyes are also narrower than the screens and I get a bit of double vision. Rochester Optical makes an insert that compensates for that difference (Here's the link). People who have it swear by it. I just ordered one to compensate for my inter-pupilary distance and also to add in my prescription (distance). I will report back here when I get them and try them out. As an aside, you give them your distance prescription because although the screens are right on your head, your vision sees the screens at a distance of 5 meters...so you use your distance glasses!

I picked up a Bluetooth Mouse and Bluetooth Keyboard to use with this set up. I don't use them when I'm flying, but when I use the glasses for other applications, I just find the mouse easier to use than the touchpad. Personally, I hate ALL touchpads...being an IBM guy who grew up on the trackpoint, I can't get used to touchpads. The keyboard I picked up is amazing...it's made by iClever, weighs next to nothing and folds smaller than a 5x7. I picked up both the mouse and keyboard for under $45. I find the unit completely suitable for my needs. I've also gotten pretty good at using the touchpad. It takes getting used to the touch, it's firmer than you think. If you try to go lightly, it gets a lot of false clicks...whereas, if you're firm, it works pretty well. I've gotten good at it when in flight (the only time I use the touchpad).

I can't speak for the speed of the processor. It plays videos just fine, it drives OTG cables...I'm not sure what else I need. It does get hot, but not burning hot.

The last thing is that I just learned how to cast the glasses to another android device via mirracast. The casting (sending) side is built into the BT-300s, you just need to install a receiving app on the other device and it just works. This is amazing for letting other people watch what the drone sees as I fly with the goggles.

I'm loving my BT-300s. Granted, I've spent a great deal on them ($700 for the glasses, 100 for the Solitaire, 50 for the solitaire sun shield, 200 for the RX Insert, 45 for the keyboard and mouse), but now my only con is that there aren't enough true AR applications available for them. Lots of demos and a few field support applications, but I'd love to see more real AR.

Flying the drone with the glasses in the enclosure is amazing. SOOO much better than on a tablet or phone. Plus, you get the immersion without losing LOS - and a pretty cool Android device that you can use for a lot of other applications.

- Gary
Hey, thanks for the reply. I like the idea of what they are supposed to do, but it's just way too unpolished of a product in my opinion. For $700 I expect a little better. Maybe the next generation will wow me back, who knows. Hopefully the next gen will get rid of trackpads altogether. I use the crystal sky now and I'm happy with it

I love the glasses for all the reasons that have been listed. The touch pad took a bit to get under control but if you think about it is there a better way to control such a small device. It is a small inconvenience compared to all the pluses.

I never had a heating issue until I started using an OTG cable. I have been flying my Spark around the yard mostly and prior to DJI GO 4.2.14 OTG was not supported for the Spark so WiFi was the only choice. After reading other people were having overheating I notice mine was hotter with the OTG and much cooler without. I measured the current being supplied by the controller and it was ~450 mA. So the battery is charging and adding a bunch on extra heat. Epson needs to help out here with some firmware to control the charging circuit and help reduce the heat. I have been involved with several other threads about this issue. I'll leave it to you to read them if you are interested as I do not want to get off subject.

Looking at the IPD issue, I would think there could be some sort of a slide mechanism above the nose to allow one to spread or compress to allow for an IPD adjustment. I think i would be almost impossible to move the prisms side to side. Fortunately I do not have an IPD problem.

I to have a wireless keyboard and mouse I use for setup but not for flying.

Here are several things I hope Epson addresses in the future.
1) Better strain reliefs at both ends of the cable. I see these points as a weak point and it is only a matter of time.
2) Earphone jacks top at the top near the hinges. I use a small earphone so I do not miss any audio messages. I used some plastic wire wrap to simulate one cable but jacks at the top would be the best. The wire wrap also acts as a makeshift strain relief
3) A pop up message giving you a warning the BT's battery is getting low. However with an OTG cable the battery is constantly charging but that needs to be addressed. When flying my Spark using WiFi I almost ran out of battery. I just happened to look down and saw the BT's LED's were flashing red.

There will be a lot of pilots using the BT's once the price drops a bit more. For me the BT's are the way to go. But.... a Crystalsky may also be on my horizon.

~Bill

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom