DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My thoughts on the DJI Air 3S as an Air 3 owner

Yaros

Reactions
Just gonna leave my honest opinion about the newly-released DJI Air 3S.
(I don't have the drone, and probably won't get it because I already own the regular Air 3)
  • No variable aperture - this would be a game-changer. I was waiting for that, but I guess it's still left for the Mavic Pro series, bummer.
  • 1-inch sensor, nice! But this should have been on the original Air 3, because it already was on the Air 2S, however it was not a downgrade, compared to the Air 2S sensor, I think that the slightly smaller Air 3 sensor is much more color accurate and low-light capable.
  • Downward vision assist - very useful, don't need to point down the camera, I would love to see this as a firmware update on other drones that have downward VPS.
  • New panorama stitching modes - not sure yet how they really work, but they look promising
  • No option to buy drone-only - Yes, this would be extremely nice for the people who already own the Air 3 or just the RC2 controller. Would save money, but DJI probably won't offer this.
Overall, an upgrade, personally not worth an upgrade if you already have the Air 3, as I do, but as a mid-range first drone, it's an awesome kit!

• 1-inch sensor, nice! But this should have been on the original Air 3, because it already was on the Air 2S, however it was not a downgrade, compared to the Air 2S sensor, I think that the slightly smaller Air 3 sensor is much more color accurate and low-light capable.

I believe your analysis here is mistaken.

In 12MP mode making an apples/apples comparison, the 1" sensor has bigger pixel area, and gathers more light than the functionally similar 1/1.3" sensor in the A3. The color fidelity of both sensors is nominally the same, but the 1" sensor is more sensitive.

This is how they get 14 stops of usable dynamic range from the main camera in the 3S.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
This is how they get 14 stops of usable dynamic range from the main camera in the 3S.
Right, no doubt that the Air 3S sensor is better than the Air 3.

But I have flown the Air 2S and Air 3 side by side in the same conditions, Air 3 is better for some reason, and by far, especially in photos.

This is the best Designed Drone DJI ever made so its nice to see the nicer version.

I cant believe the only controller that will work with this is the Mini 4 Controller but not the Pro Controller or the Mavic 3 Controller.

Its also annoying that they won't sell the drone by itself as mentioned.

2024-10-15_11h33_26.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Right, no doubt that the Air 3S sensor is better than the Air 3.

But I have flown the Air 2S and Air 3 side by side in the same conditions, Air 3 is better for some reason, and by far, especially in photos.

My bad, I read your post as comparing the main 3S sensor to the 3, but with your clarification I see your comparing the A3 sensor to the 2S.

I agree the smaller M4P/A3 sensor outperforms the 2S. (now climbing into my Nomex suit 😁).

I have been asking for this from DJI since I got an Air2S
It's funny how you can buy a Mavic 3 Pro overseas without a controller but not in North America.
Plain and simple greed.

And you know that how?

I can think of many legitimate, common reasons why this is the case, among them a market analysis tells them they would lose money due to too small projected sales.

Demanding DJI provide something they lose money on is greedy, but not on DJI's part.

So maybe we ought to be a bit more circumvent with derogatory criticism when, well, we don't know anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak476579