DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

narrated videos ? yes or no

I think the narration is fine and it is nice footage. I think it would be better to have music through the entire video at normal listening levels and lower the level of the music during the parts with narration. It would make it like a documentary.

Voice over narration is better than reading too many captions when not in the right place of the video as it tends to distract from seeing the content.

Good information above about the audio levels.

At key points of the narration, perhaps a pip in the corner with pictures of the topic being discussed if possible.

Thanks for sharing your content Mazdaman323lx

Reactions: hiflyer201
not the most visually entertaining video I have ever created , but would like peoples feedback on adding narration to some future videos maybe or not.
If you're not having to pay a VO artist I would say yes, keep doing the VO.

Narration works. I agree the background music could have been up a little bit more.

I mean no offense, but was that an automated voice? I would have figured if it was you, being from Ireland, there'd be a bit of Irish accent.

If you're not having to pay a VO artist I would say yes, keep doing the VO.
It's a text to voice site. Cost me around 5 euro for the privilege of transcribing the article. If not that I'd probably end up paying 3 - 4 euro for a licence for a decent piece of music anyways . Hawwk on YouTube seems to ask for a licence on everything I upload recently.

It's a text to voice site. Cost me around 5 euro for the privilege of transcribing the article. If not that I'd probably end up paying 3 - 4 euro for a licence for a decent piece of music anyways . Hawwk on YouTube seems to ask for a licence on everything I upload recently.
Wow I didn't realize the technology had advanced that much.
I used to pay $200-$300 for VO when I was doing video production.
I guess the question is up to you if its worth 5 euro but from what I heard it sounds as good as any of the people I used to hire and it's much more interesting than having to read text while taking in the shots.

I think most videos can tell the story in its own right.
Some text in the opening, in the main video here and there if needed.
A bit more description in the YouTube description section to set the scene is sometimes helpful.

If the auto narration is anything like what's used on some of the (car) dashcam videos I watch a lot online, then skip it.
Very mechanical sounding.

I think most videos can tell the story in its own right.
Some text in the opening, in the main video here and there if needed.
A bit more description in the YouTube description section to set the scene is sometimes helpful.

If the auto narration is anything like what's used on some of the (car) dashcam videos I watch a lot online, then skip it.
Very mechanical sounding.
Did you not listen to it?

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Did you not listen to it?

Actually no I didn't !
I thought it was the other castle video posted earlier by the OP, but just had a watch / listen.

Not bad at all, would hardly pick that one as being done by an automated text to voice service.
Some of the lower or no cost ones might be what I imagined it might be.

That works, but not so much for anyone with a hearing loss.
It is fairly clear to me with volume up though, probably the best you could get.

The US accent does not match the video theme I must say, maybe you can get different accents to suit, though you don't want a really strong Irish / Scottish / Welch etc accent, the NO ONE will be able to understand it !! Lol.

Actually no I didn't !
I thought it was the other castle video posted earlier by the OP, but just had a watch / listen.

Not bad at all, would hardly pick that one as being done by an automated text to voice service.
Some of the lower or no cost ones might be what I imagined it might be.

That works, but not so much for anyone with a hearing loss.
It is fairly clear to me with volume up though, probably the best you could get.

The US accent does not match the video theme I must say, maybe you can get different accents to suit, though you don't want a really strong Irish / Scottish / Welch etc accent, the NO ONE will be able to understand it !! Lol.
I would imagine if they don't already they will have different accents and gender.
I'm just blown away with how far and quick the technology has come...had someone not asked about it (and the OP answered) I don't think I would have noticed.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
not the most visually entertaining video I have ever created , but would like peoples feedback on adding narration to some future videos maybe or not.
Enjoyed it, very informative. Most of the time we don't know the history of the subject.

I would imagine if they don't already they will have different accents and gender.
I'm just blown away with how far and quick the technology has come...had someone not asked about it (and the OP answered) I don't think I would have noticed.
I agree that it is amazing how far technology has progressed but I felt the cadence of the VO or something was off just enough that it didn't sound right to me and as another commenter mentioned, it sounded mechanical. I also agree with others that having to read captions that may or may not be in the right color/font/duration/etc. to be adequately read is sub-optimal. Unfortunately my VO voice is pretty crappy but nonetheless, I've been using it when I feel that a VO is better than a caption! Cheers.

For the OP, I agree with the music levels and ducking under the VO. I wondered during the first 'listen' about the timing and pace of the delivery, but did not suspect it was an automated. Pretty darn good! Try doing your own VO - it would make it more personal in nature depending on your audience. I also agree with the comments about the continued use of VO -- beats trying to read text AND see the pictures! It makes for a "tighter" and better video. There will always be a place for the non-narrative, visual only video, but the visuals need to stand on their own. You're doing well.

What editing software are you using? Seems to be working for you.

Other observations. I'd mix in some footage shot from ground level. The drone footage, while nice, seemed repetitive in spots. I realize there may have been issues with access, but something to think about for future videos. Our videos are a mix - the aerial shots support the narrative and overall tone.

Music... ah... the dreaded copyright notices. There is a TON of free music out there (that is also royalty free) that YouTube won't even blink at if you use it. All you need do is comply with the music's licensing requirement which is frequently nothing more than crediting the musician in your credits. Here are some sources (there are many, many more):
You can also, by creating a YouTube Channel, gain access to the YouTube Studio, which contains a bunch of free music.

None of these sites cost a dime. Of course, there are Pay sites, which I think you mentioned using, but the ones I listed here have literally thousands of free tracks. The only issue you'll have is picking through them to find one that "fits" your video. It can be time-consuming, but very rewarding and you might discover some music you like for your own 'listening pleasure'.

Anyway I enjoyed watching your video!

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
For the OP, I agree with the music levels and ducking under the VO. I wondered during the first 'listen' about the timing and pace of the delivery, but did not suspect it was an automated. Pretty darn good! Try doing your own VO - it would make it more personal in nature depending on your audience. I also agree with the comments about the continued use of VO -- beats trying to read text AND see the pictures! It makes for a "tighter" and better video. There will always be a place for the non-narrative, visual only video, but the visuals need to stand on their own. You're doing well.

What editing software are you using? Seems to be working for you.

Other observations. I'd mix in some footage shot from ground level. The drone footage, while nice, seemed repetitive in spots. I realize there may have been issues with access, but something to think about for future videos. Our videos are a mix - the aerial shots support the narrative and overall tone.

Music... ah... the dreaded copyright notices. There is a TON of free music out there (that is also royalty free) that YouTube won't even blink at if you use it. All you need do is comply with the music's licensing requirement which is frequently nothing more than crediting the musician in your credits. Here are some sources (there are many, many more):
You can also, by creating a YouTube Channel, gain access to the YouTube Studio, which contains a bunch of free music.

None of these sites cost a dime. Of course, there are Pay sites, which I think you mentioned using, but the ones I listed here have literally thousands of free tracks. The only issue you'll have is picking through them to find one that "fits" your video. It can be time-consuming, but very rewarding and you might discover some music you like for your own 'listening pleasure'.

Anyway I enjoyed watching your video!
Great feedback thank you .

I think it's a great idea to add commentary. I tend to do it as well.

I have to say that nice scenery from a drone with nice music loses my attention very quickly. I like to know about the history of a place, so a good voiceover really works for me. I agree with the comments about using some ground level shots, and I'd research some archive materials of the place in it's prime to include.

Personally it was a great way to use drone footage!

Reactions: Bryan L

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan