DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filter app

Delenot

Reactions
I just got a set of ND filters. Other than guessing at which one will give me the best exposure does anyone know if there is an Android app that can read the current light level, let me input my ISO, frame rate, and shutter speed, and suggest the correct filter to avoid over exposure?

It has been discontinued by Polarpro but you can still get the apk for side-loading.

Reactions: Delenot
It has been discontinued by Polarpro but you can still get the apk for side-loading.

This looks like what I'm hoping for but I'm not sure. I couldn't get it to run because it required a location to start and would not let me enter one or use current location unfortunately. But thank you for the suggestion!

By the time you do the thinking any app can't do for you and enter the details you could be at the same point using your brain and your fingers.

Lest say you want to film at 24fps (target shutter speed of 1/50s)- set your desired ISO on your mini and note the reported shutter speed for correct exposure. Lets say you have 1/500s. Count fingers backwards in halves from 500 to 50........ 250, 125, 60 (good enough for the bush)... if you started with your thumb you ended up at your special finger... Thats three digits last time I checked. So take your answer, 3 in this case and apply it to the SD increments. As you probably know they work in 2's with each step being half the light admitted through them. So we have 2, 4, 8.... Bingo. You need an ND8 in this instance.

It really is that simple.

Happy filming.....

Thank you With TheBirds! That is such a simpler way of doing it!

If the count land you in the middle-ish of a filter rating, would you suggest rounding up or rounding down?

Thank you With TheBirds! That is such a simpler way of doing it!

If the count land you in the middle-ish of a filter rating, would you suggest rounding up or rounding down?
Perhaps a little late for a reply, but from the photographs i have made throughout the year, i have found that, when you have to choose, its better for your picture to be slightly under-exposed, rather than over-exposed. There is no post production method that (as far as I know) can bring back blown out highlights.
Besides, although its best avoided all together, losing information in dark areas is less distracting and "wrong" than losing information in the highlights. People expect to see details in well-lit area's, and not as much details in darker area's. after all, in our daily lives, we're much more likely to see details in a well-lit room, than in a dark room, so loss of detail in the shadows doesnt feel quite as "wrong"
so, i'd sooner go for a slightly under-exposed video, than an over exposed video.
just my take... goodluck!

Reactions: Delenot
I have seen some Cheat sheets, but nothing that really helps. Does anyone have a cheat sheet for different type of photos?

I wanted to take a Motion Photo. One that allows you to see the blur of itmes that move while the Shutter is open. I have the ProPolar ND 1000 & the ND10K but i just could not get it right

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d