DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter permanently on

MGVision

Reactions
Hi, I am owner of mavic 2 pro, my, maybe silly question is, can ND filter decrease quality of pictures? Can I have my filter permanently on my drone when I take pictures?

A ND Filter can decrease the quality of a photo or video depending on the qualtity of the filter. A good filter can stay on the camera all the time with no degregation of the photo or video depending on the light conditions . Just remember a ND filter is only a tool to be used as conditions call for the specific tool.

Reactions: MGVision
Leaving an ND on can affect photos, as it will keep the shutter open longer.
If there is any movement happening you won't get a sharp image in a photo, it will be somewhat blurred.

This won't affect photos much if taken where the wind is still, and / or the drone hovers smoothly . . . or if a subject is not moving.
A longer shutter time might even suit some photos, like blur on waterfall or ocean seaside photos.

Of course you wont notice the effects of an ND4 as much as you will and ND16, and certainly photos will be very difficult to get right with an ND32 or ND64.

Experiment, many people can make their photos more artistic in nature with use of filters.

The only reason you need to have an ND filter in place is if the camera aperture can't stop enough light to get the desired frame rate for video, or a long enough exposure time for stills. Besides that, they serve no purpose.

Note that, ND filters will reduce the low light capabilities of the M2 Pro.

A ND Filter can decrease the quality of a photo or video depending on the qualtity of the filter. A good filter can stay on the camera all the time with no degregation of the photo or video depending on the light conditions . Just remember a ND filter is only a tool to be used as conditions call for the specific tool.
Well, I am using freewell nd16.

I have been happy with the results using a filter that lets me use ISO 100 and frame rate in the 30-60/sec range. Just be sure the Fstop is then near 4-5. Change the filter as needed to get these settings. You will want to use manual settings for easiest process.

Hi, I am owner of mavic 2 pro, my, maybe silly question is, can ND filter decrease quality of pictures? Can I have my filter permanently on my drone when I take pictures?
Well, I am using freewell nd16.
An ND16 filter reduces the light getting to the sensor by 4 stops (more than 93%)
You could leave it on ... but it's going to seriously reduce your camera's ability.
Kind of like driving at night with very dark sunglasses.

Unless you have a particular reason to want to force a slow shutter speed, there is no reason to use ND filters for drone still photography.

I use PolarPro filters and on my Mavic 2 Zoom, I noticed a haze on bright objects that isn't there with the filter off (ND32, CPL). My Mav 2 Pro, I use both Polarpro and DJI. No problems there. May just be my batch. Filters are perfectly clean. No smudges-nothin'.

An ND16 filter reduces the light getting to the sensor by 4 stops (more than 93%)
You could leave it on ... but it's going to seriously reduce your camera's ability.
Kind of like driving at night with very dark sunglasses.

Unless you have a particular reason to want to force a slow shutter speed, there is no reason to use ND filters for drone still photography.
with ND16 filter on, at ISO100, with some clouds i just took a photo at 1/125 sec. f/3.2. to me - nd16 stays on permanently, as i prefer 1/60 shutter in videos.

I use PolarPro filters and on my Mavic 2 Zoom, I noticed a haze on bright objects that isn't there with the filter off... Filters are perfectly clean. No smudges-nothin'.
PolarPro backs up their products. Tell them about your problem via their web page (Warranty) and see what they can do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78