DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter test challenge

RogerDH

Reactions
I have to admit that I'm skeptical about the advantages of using ND filters on a camera drone, but I'm very willing to be convinced. Could anyone post comparison examples, with and without ND filters on approximately the same scene?

It's a minefield. So many variables. Anyway, get ready to spend some time watching videos, here is one to get you started:

It's a minefield. So many variables. Anyway, get ready to spend some time watching videos, here is one to get you started:

Just to clarify, I'm specifically talking about using ND filters on camera drones. I understand how they can help get "cinematic" motion blur with a video camera shooting, say, people moving against a stationary background, and how you can use them to reduce the depth of field on cameras that have a variable aperture, but are they really any advantage for aerial video?

are they really any advantage for aerial video?
They can be, but it's not something I would use on regular basis, and certainly not on drones without full set of manual controls. Even then, there would have to be really specific case in where I would use it, and that's very rare, for me at least. That's why I don't even think about using them on my AC, not worth the trouble and money.

Could anyone post comparison examples, with and without ND filters on approximately the same scene?
There are lots of videos on YouTube that show before and after comparisons.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that show before and after comparisons.
Well, actually, it was watching a couple of them that caused me to question their value for aerial video, so I was wondering if anyone had any better examples. I saw that if you take a fairly close shot of a girl doing jumping jacks or someone zooming by on a skateboard -- i.e. fast motion against a stationary background -- the filter makes the motion look a little smoother. But for general aerial footage where it's just the camera that's moving, I don't really see any difference except possibly when it's panning too fast to be "cinematic," anyway. I guess I'll remain unconvinced.

Last edited:
Well, actually, it was watching a couple of them that caused me question their value for aerial video, so I was wondering if anyone had any better examples. I saw that if you take a fairly close shot of a girl doing jumping jacks or someone zooming by on a skateboard -- i.e. fast motion against a stationary background -- the filter makes the motion look a little smoother. But for general aerial footage where it's just the camera that's moving, I don't really see any difference except possibly when it's panning too fast to be "cinematic," anyway. I guess I'll remain unconvinced.
Video that has insufficient motion blur has what I call a "visual buzzing." (I'm sure there's a better term.)

Some people--and I'm one--seem to be more "attuned" or sensitive to it than others. I'm not sure why that is. I find even a small amount very distracting and annoying, so I do what's necessary to eliminate it.

But if it doesn't bother you so much, do as you like; it's all supposed to be fun! It's not like we're (most of us, anyway) professional videographers with top-dollar gigs for demanding clients.

Last edited:
Video that has insufficient motion blur has what I call a "visual buzzing." (I'm sure there's a better term.)

Some people--and I'm one--seem to be more "attuned" or sensitive to it than others. I'm not sure why that is. I find even a small amount very distracting and annoying, so I do what's necessary to eliminate it.

But if it doesn't bother you so much, do as you like; it's all supposed to be fun! It's not like we're (most of us, anyway) professional videographers with top-dollar gigs for demanding clients.
I think I know what you mean, but for aerial video at least, I don't get that sensation unless the camera is panning faster than I like, anyway, so smoothing that out with motion blur wouldn't be my preferred solution. :p

I think I know what you mean, but for aerial video at least, I don't get that sensation unless the camera is panning faster than I like, anyway, so smoothing that out with motion blur wouldn't be my preferred solution. :p
Exactly my point. My hypersensitivity sets me up; even in a nice, cinematic slow pan (or a 2mph glide over wetland reeds), I can't not see that 30Hz "visual buzz". So I have to deal with it. But not everyone experiences that. You apparently don't.

Some people can't abide perfume, some rather like it, and others bathe in it. Different strokes ?️‍♂️ for different folks! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661