DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter upside down?

rconradvt

Reactions
Is there a top to the round ND filter for my MPP?
I watched a video about them and when he turns the filter the monitor in the background goes black.

Is there a top to the round ND filter for my MPP?
I watched a video about them and when he turns the filter the monitor in the background goes black.
A plain simple ND filter doesn't have different effects depending on how it's rotated in front of the camera lens ... you can't position it in different ways, just thread it on.

But if you have ND filters combined with a polarizer (usually expressed like NDx/PL) you can twist the outer glass for desired polarizing effect, it's common that it's some kind of marker on the outer ring then. So most probably it was this kind of filter you saw in the vid. A monitor sends out most of it's light in one plane ... with the polarizer you can turn it so it is 90 degrees towards that & by that take the monitor light out.

A plain simple ND filter doesn't have different effects depending on how it's rotated in front of the camera lens ... you can't position it in different ways, just thread it on.

But if you have ND filters combined with a polarizer (usually expressed like NDx/PL) you can twist the outer glass for desired polarizing effect, it's common that it's some kind of marker on the outer ring then.
Thanks, I will look for that. Mine just press on, but I try to put the number on the bottom. So I can read it when I flip the drone over to push on the gimbal lock.

I am told that the polarizing effect depends on where the sun is in relation to the lens. So having the white dot indicator at a particular point will only keep a constant polarizing effect if the sun remains at the same angle to the drone as the flight progresses.

so, I ditched my polarizing filters for just plain old ND filters.

Reactions: rconradvt
ND/PL are a right pain for sure, best to stick to ND for drone use.
The important thing with the M1P / MPP is to ensure they are pushed down to the barrel ring on the camera, and always power down the drone and clamp the gimbal to fit / remove them.

Reactions: rconradvt
The important thing with the M1P / MPP is to ensure they are pushed down to the barrel ring on the camera, and always power down the drone and clamp the gimbal to fit / remove them.
Thanks, got it.

Make sure it’s attached for sure. I lost a filter this weekend somewhere over the Cooper River.

There are filters that are graduated and darker/lighter in one region than another. You use them to, for example, reduce the brightness of the sky and allow the ground to be seen more clearly. They may also be available with "hard" or "soft" boundaries, the former have a sudden change, the latter a more gradual change.
You may also be able to get colour tints too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe