DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters Polar pro cinema series vs Freewell Variable ND Neutral Density (VND) 2-5 Stops

Hello,
do you have these two filters? Any experiences and why to choice one or the other?
It comes down to quality (PolarPro) vs convenience (Freewell) and cost.

my personal opinion is that the majority of the inconvenience of ND filters on a drone is not solved with a variable ND filter. The main inconvenience is having to stop filming and land to make the adjustment. Therefore, while the variable ND filter is more convenient than a fixed filter the difference in convenience isn’t nearly as great with a drone than with a handheld camera though the quality difference is the same making the fixed filters a better choice. Also, the truth is that unless you are filming at sunset or sun up you really don’t need to change filters in the middle of a shoot all that often.

Here’s a good video about the difference between fixed and variable ND filters.

I prefer straight-up ND filters for drone.

Variable filters are 2 polarizers pancaked together and will give you uneven blue gradient in any shots that have the sky in it.

With that said, I do use variable ND filter on my DSLR camera for things like waterfalls, rivers, etc, as long as not too much sky is in the shot.

Hello,
do you have these two filters? Any experiences and why to choice one or the other?
Yes- unfortunately I started out my Mavic 2 Pro career with variable Freewell filters but I did not know that I would get a big dark spot on my video images. You can only film in one direction. Best to use for still shots. I subsequently went to Polar Pro 8-16-32 ND and mostly just leave there 16 on the drone since I live in Miami where it is bright and sunny most of the time.

variable density are not ND filters. those are 2 polarizers misaligned to block some light - and as they are polarizers the effect will shift depending upon the angle toward the sun. a nasty effect.

Yes- unfortunately I started out my Mavic 2 Pro career with variable Freewell filters but I did not know that I would get a big dark spot on my video images. You can only film in one direction. Best to use for still shots. I subsequently went to Polar Pro 8-16-32 ND and mostly just leave there 16 on the drone since I live in Miami where it is bright and sunny most of the time.
h
hey neighbor! Just started my drone journey and I'll be getting one very soon. I've been doing research on the ND/PL filters and I was wondering what would be the most appropriate filters to be using here in Miami. I'm thinking 16/32/64 ND/PL during the daytime, then 4/8 ND/PL during nighttime (For the Miami City Street Lights & Buildings). Does that sound right ?

h

hey neighbor! Just started my drone journey and I'll be getting one very soon. I've been doing research on the ND/PL filters and I was wondering what would be the most appropriate filters to be using here in Miami. I'm thinking 16/32/64 ND/PL during the daytime, then 4/8 ND/PL during nighttime (For the Miami City Street Lights & Buildings). Does that sound right ?
In the bright AZ deserts 4, 16, and occasionally 32 are useful. Remember that polarized filters will alter images depending on orientation to the sun. At night on the rare occasion when I use a filter it’s a non polarized 4.

Reactions: Lifestrider
In the bright AZ deserts 4, 16, and occasionally 32 are useful. Remember that polarized filters will alter images depending on orientation to the sun. At night on the rare occasion when I use a filter it’s a non polarized 4.
I see, so during the night use a lower number'd lens, and during the day based off brightness go higher. What I wonder is if I do shots at the beach while the sun is out here in Miami should I usually be using 32/64. I know it depends, but I'm tryna make sure I get the purchase right. My budget at the moment is to get 3 lenses through polar pro filters.

I see, so during the night use a lower number'd lens, and during the day based off brightness go higher. What I wonder is if I do shots at the beach while the sun is out here in Miami should I usually be using 32/64. I know it depends, but I'm tryna make sure I get the purchase right. My budget at the moment is to get 3 lenses through polar pro filters.
Some is experimentation. In the day you wast to adjust Fstop to 4-5.5 range. I use PP also for many things. Often I use variable ND filter... Freewell.

Reactions: Lifestrider
Guess I am a slow learner but I have just been leaving my Polar Pro ND 16 filter on most of the daylight hours for video since mostly I am shooting in the sun. I rarely shoot in heavy weather like rain. ND 16 seems like the best compromise for me. Lower numbers (ND 4-8) usually not enough for me. I will switch filter to polarizer for still shots but mostly shooting video.

Guess I am a slow learner but I have just been leaving my Polar Pro ND 16 filter on most of the daylight hours for video since mostly I am shooting in the sun. I rarely shoot in heavy weather like rain. ND 16 seems like the best compromise for me. Lower numbers (ND 4-8) usually not enough for me. I will switch filter to polarizer for still shots but mostly shooting video.
You have it right @Dale D during a sunny day you shouldn't need to change filters. Its sun up or sun down that you typically need the lower ND filters. I happen to think the best light is when you need an ND 16 and and a wide aperture. Even on cloudy days I find that in reality it doesn't change which filter you need as much as you'd think. If it gets really dark out its probably time to book it back inside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54