DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters still useful?

Makwaii

Reactions
Im contemplating on purchasing ND filters for the MM but im confused as some sets have ND and ND/PL ranging from 4-32 Are they still useful now that we have manual control over settings on the dji fly app?

Its all about motion blur on your video's. Lots of youtube video's on the why's and wherefores... research

Reactions: jlatas
Im contemplating on purchasing ND filters for the MM but im confused as some sets have ND and ND/PL ranging from 4-32 Are they still useful now that we have manual control over settings on the dji fly app?

If you could set the aperture to f/22 or f/32 then you wouldn't need them. Unfortunately the mini has a fixed aperture so you can only get correct exposure with your desired shutter speed by fitting an ND filter. I have ND/PL ones and TBH the polarizing part is pretty much worthless. I've also concluded one needs a 64x for bright conditions, though most sets of 4 are (4x, 8x, 16x, 32x)

From what I've read, polarizing filters and not very useful except under specific circumstances. They are very directional as to angle/direction of the sun or light. Unless you fly the drone in one precise direction where the polarizing orientation is correct they become useless or, at least, less useful. Since the drone generally is flown in a variety of directions the polarize impact falls off an you turn the drone.

From what I've read, polarizing filters and not very useful except under specific circumstances. They are very directional as to angle/direction of the sun or light. Unless you fly the drone in one precise direction where the polarizing orientation is correct they become useless or, at least, less useful. Since the drone generally is flown in a variety of directions the polarize impact falls off an you turn the drone.
The ones I have can't be rotated (so as I said above - pretty pointless). The definitely are polarizing because if you hold one in front of the other and rotate them at 90 degrees offset they block all light. I don't notice any polarizing type effect when shooting , and it's quite possible in some cases the polarize will emphasize reflections instead of cutting them out. Even if you could adjust them , as you say, then the drone shoots at a different angle the polarizer would be in the wrong orientation.

Reactions: ff22

Two points. The mini always had manual control, people just didn't know how to access it for a few weeks. Granted now you have a better UI and feature set with updates. And having manual control is the only way to really use a ND, so saying "now that we have manual control over settings" is kinda backwards for their use.

ND's are a matter of preference, if you don't mind the clouds and sky, white houses and such being blown out (Lack of any definition, like they are glowing :p) Then...Ehhh. who cares. But if you have some value to your photography and want it to look "normal" then ND's are a good investment. I fly with a ND8 always on my aircraft, I adjust up (or down) from there as needed. The attached video sums all info in a nut shell and explains all for the novice (And some advanced users it seems)

Last edited:
If you could set the aperture to f/22 or f/32 then you wouldn't need them. Unfortunately the mini has a fixed aperture so you can only get correct exposure with your desired shutter speed by fitting an ND filter. I have ND/PL ones and TBH the polarizing part is pretty much worthless. I've also concluded one needs a 64x for bright conditions, though most sets of 4 are (4x, 8x, 16x, 32x)

An issue with setting the aperture that low is the sharpness of the image suffers.

Lenses all have a sweet spot for sharpness. That is usually 3-4 stops down from wide open. Once you start getting past that, the image gets softer. ND filters are a much better option under all circumstances.

Just an small addition (obvious to some but maybe not all) to what Vic Moss said, “good ND Filters are a much better option....”. Glass filters such as PolarPro are a necessary accessory for anyone interested in producing quality video. Don’t waste yr money on cheap filters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes