DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters

clovis09

Reactions
I started using a ND16 filter on my MPP and the quality of my stills and my videos increased sharply. I was wondering if they hampered the ability to get good shots at sunrise and sunset. Being a newbie I was wondering if most of you took the filters off when you were in more limited light or will it make much difference. I know it will change things some but how much.

ND 4 (or none) is better for sunrise/set. They are necessary for video and ND 16 is better for sunny days.

Reactions: clovis09
I started using a ND16 filter on my MPP and the quality of my stills and my videos increased sharply. I was wondering if they hampered the ability to get good shots at sunrise and sunset. Being a newbie I was wondering if most of you took the filters off when you were in more limited light or will it make much difference. I know it will change things some but how much.
All the ND filter does is reduce the light reaching the lens which slows your shutter speed.
ND filters aren't likely to improve your stills at all unless you have a particular reason to shoot with a slow shutter speed.
If you are shooting stills, take the filters off.

^^This^^ For video only. Once the light gets low enough to achieve your desired shutter speed, without them, at the lowest ISO possible, take them off. You never want to raise your ISO using the ND. It defeats the purpose.

On a drone I can't think of a single reason to use them for stills.

I get noise every time I use my ND16 for video, not sure why, I leave everything on auto, I am also new.

I get noise every time I use my ND16 for video, not sure why, I leave everything on auto, I am also new.
That’s what will happen when shooting in auto.
It’s because you are allowing it to raise your ISO. You need to lock your ISO at 100, (400 max for lower light scenes) and using NDs, adjust the shutter speed down to around 1/60-1/80. If you can’t achieve that, then you need to reduce the power, or remove them entirely.

Reactions: ayapov and zoomzx6r
Howdy all,

Speaking of filters... Is it just me or is the design of the MP 'push on' filters really bad ? I also have a MA and the screw on is far superior IMHO :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claude72