DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near Disaster

The "Swelling" occurs where the unit is the softest which happens to be the bottom of the battery. I've got (3) that are swollen and you can spin them like a top when sitting on a hard flat surface. When I get home tonight I may make a video or take some pics so everyone understands what it looks and feels like.

For the record, it's called PUFFING because it becomes swollen and .... Puffy...it's like there is a soft foam layer suddenly inside the pack.

Left is good battery right is puffed

5ccfd73eb6b266f8069f890fca5ac028.jpg

I found this about my MA batteries, may be the same for the MP. They also state a temperature range to keep them at so they don’t get damaged.

“The intelligent chip of the battery is regulating its volume at all times. It does not need to be fully charged or discharged manually on a regular basis.”

“To store the battery for a long period, discharge and charge the battery every three months.”

It seems to be happening me often lately. Another swelling thread was started this week, the are 4 others over the last few months and a similar number on the dji forum.

Welcome to summer! Electronics seem to work better in cooler weather.

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
SAME thing happened to my Mavic Platinum Pro! I was OVER water, and returning to shore and JUST as my Mavic got over land POOF! Dropped right out of the Sky and the battery was laying beside it! WTF man?????

Reactions: DinoGarret
I found this about my MA batteries, may be the same for the MP. They also state a temperature range to keep them at so they don’t get damaged.

“The intelligent chip of the battery is regulating its volume at all times. It does not need to be fully charged or discharged manually on a regular basis.”

“To store the battery for a long period, discharge and charge the battery every three months.”

There is a temperature range, the problem is it seems the M2 batteries in particular degrade when stored and used *within* this range.

It's a good thing you did come back because if it had gone down DJI would've said pilot error and not being able to recover you would be out a drone. I know it happened to me and they've come up with 3 different excuses or reason it was pilot error.

Time to start taping them in. At least you will get back. I have doing this now for last two months. No swollen ones yet but they are getting very hot during flight. Summertime heat.

If they swell during flight— sure way to have one come out with sudden flight manovers.

Someone needs to come out with a strap that bypasses the actual release latches so no extra pressure is placed on them.

Paul C

Time to start taping them in. At least you will get back. I have doing this now for last two months. No swollen ones yet but they are getting very hot during flight. Summertime heat.

If they swell during flight— sure way to have one come out with sudden flight manovers.

Someone needs to come out with a strap that bypasses the actual release latches so no extra pressure is placed on them.

Paul C

Some Velcro straps from Amazon or EBay would do the trick. Cheap and easy to use.

Too many M2P batteries are going bad. Either DJI is trying to cash themselves up with a faulty product you must replace (I just put out A$700 replacing 3 swollen batteries) or there is an inherent flaw.

My situation was a little different... pilot error... mistimed a wave... funny to watch her shaking and spinning around trying to shake the water off... then managed to manage her back over land to catch her... wringing wet... camera hanging by its cable... poor girl.

Just wondering if the Battery ever got wet. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear for you Mavic to fly in the rain.
Designer of the Lunar Landing Pad.
In looking at the raingear covers, I wonder whether they increase the operating temperature of the batteries? If the battery swelling is related to heating of the batteries during discharge in flight, insulation would decrease the heat dissipation through the outer surface of the drone and batteries. Any data on the temps?

I often wonder if the shipment to the customer affects the batteries. The last few days have been quite hot in the eastern US. If a partly charged brand new battery has been sitting inside a UPS truck for two days at 130°F, it probably is not good for the battery. Maybe also a problem in the north in winter when the inside of the truck is -10°....... Maybe only buy batteries in spring and fall? LOL

Reactions: arcticfrost
See its ashame because if a lipo puffs a little doesnt mean its necessarily bad, as long as each cell voltages are close through out the discharge of the battery u should be good. For instance in a smaller rc heli i would still use a puffy pack....u def wont get the punch or performance u had before the swelling and puff....anyway what i am getting at is that u cant even use a puffed lipo with the mavic because of the way the battery system is. Its to tight so any swelling will ultimately result is the mavics demise unlike an rc heli or my 100mph talion. ie, more battery room/ able to strap down/ real lipo connections/ xt90's ec5's ....it also sucks to because these dji lipos are pricey!!!

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR