DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Nearly a disastrous Easter Day flight.

Vader Zoom 01

Reactions
Flew my Mavic 2 Pro out to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg Florida, USA only to lose signal as I crossed under the bridge to the other side. With no signal of any kind I had no idea what the drone was doing or what happened to it. I will let the video tell the, rest of the story.
This does have a happy ending, thank goodness.

Flew my Mavic 2 Pro out to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg Florida, USA only to lose signal as I crossed under the bridge to the other side. With no signal of any kind I had no idea what the drone was doing or what happened to it. I will let the video tell the, rest of the story.
Yikes, That’s a little too scary for my taste. Glad you got it back. Big steel things can do not-nice things to radio signals. My MA2, without top sensors probably would have RTH’d right into the bottom of the bridge then into the bay. It might be nice to see a posting of the flight log if you post it to Airdata.com and put a public view setting on it.

Reactions: Vader Zoom 01
Crazy, I'd have been holding my breath too. Faraday cage effect? My car radio cuts out crossing a local steel bridge with upper steel infrastructure around it every time.

There's literally tons of reinforcing steel mesh products embedded in those concrete pillars and horizontals.

Last edited:
Crazy, I'd have been holding my breath too. Faraday cage effect? My car radio cuts out crossing a local steel bridge with upper steel infrastructure around it every time.

There's literally tons of reinforcing steel mesh products embedded in those concrete pillars and horizontals.
I believe it was the Faraday cage effect with all that steel. The mistake I made was that I was flying higher then I did with my M2Z. I had just flown my M2Z under that bridge and only lost signal for a second or two but I was at 150 feet. When I flew the M2P I was at 169 feet and the underneath of that bridge is only 180 feet above the water which I didn't know that till I got home and researched the bridge. I thought it was 190 feet above the water but that is the roadway and not the underneath of the bridge. So lessoned learned and I won't be doing that again, lolol.

Ho. Li. Sh..

Glad you got a happy ending!I've flown from the end of the main pier on the south side and also from the shorter pier to the north on the south side(sides being the hiway direction).Beautiful around sunset and sunrise.where did you launch from?

Glad you got a happy ending!I've flown from the end of the main pier on the south side and also from the shorter pier to the north on the south side(sides being the hiway direction).Beautiful around sunset and sunrise.where did you launch from?
Thank you offback. I was on the north side at a beach area off the service road on the east side.

Wow that was nerve wracking! How close do you think you were to some of those supports and bridge deck. It looked incredibly close. Were you controlling the craft at all when it paused beside the pillar or was it thinking on its own?

• Wow
Wow that was nerve wracking! How close do you think you were to some of those supports and bridge deck. It looked incredibly close. Were you controlling the craft at all when it paused beside the pillar or was it thinking on its own?
Hey aneal321. I lost signal just as I crossed under the bridge so it was the drone that was doing all the maneuvering to get back under the bridge. I had no transmission whatsoever. I thought I had lost the drone till it came back to the south side of the bridge and the signal reconnected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99