DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advice on flying through a tight space - see photos!

Air 2s doesn't support waypoints.
Yes, it does but using Dronelink, Litchi or your favorite SDK supported software. DJI Fly however does not support it. The Waypoint missions are done by virtual sticks missions not onboard missions like the M2P/M2Zoom/ Phamtom 4, Inspire and others older drones.

Just to give you an example of a waypoint mapping mission with my Air2S for a client.

I didn’t have time to read through all the responses but you might try covering the bottom sensors with tape and disable the others. It would be easy to test over grass with a minimum of risk. I do not speak from experience though. Best wishes.

Reactions: fguthrie
Yes, it does but using Dronelink, Litchi or your favorite SDK supported software. DJI Fly however does not support it. The Waypoint missions are done by virtual sticks missions not onboard missions like the M2P/M2Zoom/ Phamtom 4, Inspire and others older drones.

Just to give you an example of a waypoint mapping mission with my Air2S for a client.

If you don't mind me asking zeusfl what software are you running. I looks like if fairly precise in it's execution.

If you don't mind me asking zeusfl what software are you running. I looks like if fairly precise in it's execution.
Dronelink in this case.

Not I am getting all kinds of ideas! Thanks for the tip concerning drone link!!

Using waypoints for flight in close quarters is a good way to crash.
Waypoint flying is only as accurate as GPS so it can be +/- a few metres.
You always need a comfortable safety margin from anything you could crash into when setting up a waypoint mission.
Good point and there is not a lot of room for errors.
I was going to comment on the same point - waypoints are not accurate enough. As a tip - I waypointed to fly the center of my long driveway but failed because sometimes it would fly the edges instead. What I did learn is that accuracy seems to vary significantly based on how many satellites it can see. At 10, it might cruise 6 to 8 feet off course. At 17 satellites, it seemed to be able to stay within 3 feet.

And in your situation, I would not be comfortable flying within a steel cage due to possible mis-reading of GPS or the controller by the drone.

Also, consider showing up for a local meetup of the drone racers in your area. I'm sure someone there has a good camera and could fly through for you with very little effort.

Last edited:
Fly in Sport (to switch off sensors) as others have said, but most importantly - change your EXP settings. Changing the proportional stick input makes ALL the difference.

I only ever fly in S with the EXP adjusted to 0.10 for all.

👍🏻

Dronelink in this case.
Appreciated.

It sounds like you use several app's. If you had to pick one app for way-points that was simple, consistent yet garnered good results which would it be?

Appreciated.

It sounds like you use several app's. If you had to pick one app for way-points that was simple, consistent yet garnered good results which would it be?
For the price you can use Litchi. If money is not problem I Dronelink is much better allowing you more complex missions automatically. Has inspections, facade and tons of more options.

Reactions: March411
First, I am having a blast! I'm working with an art organization that has created an art sculpture called "Re:Emergence". It depicts our journey into the Covid world and our exit. The group is currently building the structure and then plans to take it and display it at Burning Man. I have been photographing, creating videos (Both drone and otherwise) and documenting the sculpture as it has been created. As you can see from the photos, it is almost finished.

I have to fly through it. I mean, it is begging for me to fly through it! Plus, getting footage at night with lights on the structure will make it even more epic! I own two DJI drones (Air2S and the Mavic 2 Pro). I know I can completely disable obstacle avoidance on the Mavic 2 pro, but it doesn't look like I can with the Air2s. I can go into sport mode which disables some of the sensors. Is that the best plan? How would you do it? I was thinking about disabling sideways motion - maybe that will help to fly straight through it? Check out the attached photos to get an idea as to what this is all about. Looking forward to your feedback, thank you.
For your M2P, I’d consider using the course lock feature since it looks like a simple straight path.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7