DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need info on drone photography at Pueblo de Taos

Brojon

Reactions
I found out that the Pueblos in Taos are actually sovereign Indian territory as well as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The specifically mention no drones, cameras, phones, or tablets during special ceremonies but otherwise say cameras are ok.
Permission must be asked before taking an image of a local.
There are drone videos online but those could have been with special permission. I have contacted their tourism dept and Facebook page but no answer.
We'll be going to that area at the end of the month and danged if they aren't closed the days we'll be there. I understand they have staffing issues like everyone else.
So my question for someone who knows is are there any drone restrictions for that location?
I'm not interested in video per se - but I am interested in getting a few images since I won't be able to go inside.
Thanks!

I found out that the Pueblos in Taos are actually sovereign Indian territory as well as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The specifically mention no drones, cameras, phones, or tablets during special ceremonies but otherwise say cameras are ok.
Permission must be asked before taking an image of a local.
There are drone videos online but those could have been with special permission. I have contacted their tourism dept and Facebook page but no answer.
We'll be going to that area at the end of the month and danged if they aren't closed the days we'll be there. I understand they have staffing issues like everyone else.
So my question for someone who knows is are there any drone restrictions for that location?
I'm not interested in video per se - but I am interested in getting a few images since I won't be able to go inside.
Thanks!
I always check with UAV Coach as they have proven to be a good resource. Check out this article.

Reactions: Brojon
I always check with UAV Coach as they have proven to be a good resource. Check out this article.
Thanks - didn't really address the very specific area I need to know.
I wish those folks would get back to me!

Reactions: GFields
I don’t know anything about their policy, but I’m sorry you can’t go in. Having been there several times, it’s a unique place.
Any suggestions for drones out there? We'll be going to Taos by way of Roswell and thru Las Vegas, NM, then down to Truth or Consequences (my wife wants to do the hot springs). Then over to Cloudcroft for a few days. I figure White Sands would be a good spot but unclear as to that one since there's Sandia and an AF base nearby.

Reactions: CorralesDan
I have done professional photography at the Pueblo for their dept of tourism many times. They work on their own time and at their own speed. You have to live with it. I once waited a year for them to get back to me for approval for a shoot I did. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PROCEED WITHOUT PERMISSION. Someone is likely to shoot you out of the sky without so much as a thank you mam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debaser_AZ
Any suggestions for drones out there? We'll be going to Taos by way of Roswell and thru Las Vegas, NM, then down to Truth or Consequences (my wife wants to do the hot springs). Then over to Cloudcroft for a few days. I figure White Sands would be a good spot but unclear as to that one since there's Sandia and an AF base nearby.
You shouldn't have any issues in most of those places (other than local airports), but White Sands will not be available as it's a national park, plus all the military activities in the area.

No drones at White Sands - spent about 6 weeks in Las Cruces last winter. NPS will not allow drones. The Organ Mountains are just to the west of the valley where White Sands and the AF Base are located. There are some limited areas where you can fly, but not many. Check B4RU Fly or Aloft.

I was born in and practically live in NM for parts of the year. No, just no for Taos Pueblo (without permission). No for any National Park. I flew the Taos Gorge bridge in the dead of winter though, even with strange signal interference, video turned out great. So there's that opportunity in lieu of the pueblo.

If you're still wondering if you should or not, Taos Pueblo reminds visitors:

"And last but far from least, as we welcome you into our home please respect it as it was your own home. There are rules in place to ensure a great visit for visitors and to ensure the culture and traditions of our home are maintained and kept in tact."

If Taos is closed, it's very unlikely a 'staffing' issue. Don't be that person that mistakenly interrupts a ceremony, or worse, the preparations for ceremony.

Reactions: HavingFun999
No drones at White Sands - spent about 6 weeks in Las Cruces last winter. NPS will not allow drones. The Organ Mountains are just to the west of the valley where White Sands and the AF Base are located. There are some limited areas where you can fly, but not many. Check B4RU Fly or Aloft.
That's exactly where I was looking. It appears the only roads on the sands side of the mountain range are military roads. I'll check it out - there's a wedge there on a turnout that is in clear airspace.
Other than that there looks to be spots north and south of Holloman in teh mountains that supposedly overlooks White Sands. I'll have to actually go there and check my apps to be sure.

I was born in and practically live in NM for parts of the year. No, just no for Taos Pueblo (without permission). No for any National Park. I flew the Taos Gorge bridge in the dead of winter though, even with strange signal interference, video turned out great. So there's that opportunity in lieu of the pueblo.

If you're still wondering if you should or not, Taos Pueblo reminds visitors:

"And last but far from least, as we welcome you into our home please respect it as it was your own home. There are rules in place to ensure a great visit for visitors and to ensure the culture and traditions of our home are maintained and kept in tact."

If Taos is closed, it's very unlikely a 'staffing' issue. Don't be that person that mistakenly interrupts a ceremony, or worse, the preparations for ceremony.
If you look at their site - they post all ceremonies on line on their calendar for the public.
Taos is not a National Park - it is a sovereign nation. They have the final say-so.
They also say cameras are welcome - but I'm sure your read that I already mentioned that.
But thanks for your concerns.

If you look at their site - they post all ceremonies on line on their calendar for the public.
Taos is not a National Park - it is a sovereign nation. They have the final say-so.
They also say cameras are welcome - but I'm sure your read that I already mentioned that.
But thanks for your concerns.
Let me try another way. I'm a member of sovereign tribal nation, so I understand that aspect. I can tell you that no tribe posts "all ceremonies" online, this is just not true. Social dances and public activities are the ones posted, those open to non-members. There are private activities, ceremonies, and other events we won't know about. For a community like Taos (heavy tourism), these events are likely a good reason to close the pueblo. Also, the website states that no photography is allowed during public ceremonies.

I would not fly at all near the pueblo when it's closed. If it's open and there are no public ceremonies? I'd take off from a non-tribal lands location and stay up 400' and/or use the tele lens on my M3 if I really had this desire to take some personal photos. Actually, with my background, I wouldn't do it at any time without Taos' awareness (permission). I can't see how my want to fly and take photos can be seen as respectful to all the folks that live there. YMMV.

Yes, aware of NP status, I was referring to White Sands.

For the threads usefulness, the current website says:

Closures: Unexpected closures do occur for religious activities and an unexpected death in the community. Thank you for your patience.

Taos Pueblo is a living community, there are rules and regulations to abide by during your visit.

Please read the following:

1. Please abide by “Restricted Area” signs. These areas are designated to protect the privacy of our residents and the sites of our native religious practices.
2. We ask not enter doors/homes that are not clearly marked as businesses. Some of the homes are used as a place of business which are clearly marked with signs. Other homes are not open to the public.
3. Please do not photograph tribal members without permission.
Absolutely no photography in San Geronimo Chapel.
5. Please respect our cemetery by not entering, it also holds the ruins of the old church. An adobe wall surrounds this area, this is the boundary.
6. Do not enter the river — our sole source of drinking water.
7. And last but far from least, as we welcome you into our home please respect it as it was your own home. There are rules in place to ensure a great visit for visitors and to ensure the culture and traditions of our home are maintained and kept in tact.

Let me try another way. I'm a member of sovereign tribal nation, so I understand that aspect. I can tell you that no tribe posts "all ceremonies" online, this is just not true. Social dances and public activities are the ones posted, those open to non-members. There are private activities, ceremonies, and other events we won't know about. For a community like Taos (heavy tourism), these events are likely a good reason to close the pueblo. Also, the website states that no photography is allowed during public ceremonies.

I would not fly at all near the pueblo when it's closed. If it's open and there are no public ceremonies? I'd take off from a non-tribal lands location and stay up 400' and/or use the tele lens on my M3 if I really had this desire to take some personal photos. Actually, with my background, I wouldn't do it at any time without Taos' awareness (permission). I can't see how my want to fly and take photos can be seen as respectful to all the folks that live there. YMMV.

Yes, aware of NP status, I was referring to White Sands.

For the threads usefulness, the current website says:

Closures: Unexpected closures do occur for religious activities and an unexpected death in the community. Thank you for your patience.

Taos Pueblo is a living community, there are rules and regulations to abide by during your visit.

Please read the following:

1. Please abide by “Restricted Area” signs. These areas are designated to protect the privacy of our residents and the sites of our native religious practices.
2. We ask not enter doors/homes that are not clearly marked as businesses. Some of the homes are used as a place of business which are clearly marked with signs. Other homes are not open to the public.
3. Please do not photograph tribal members without permission.
Absolutely no photography in San Geronimo Chapel.
5. Please respect our cemetery by not entering, it also holds the ruins of the old church. An adobe wall surrounds this area, this is the boundary.
6. Do not enter the river — our sole source of drinking water.
7. And last but far from least, as we welcome you into our home please respect it as it was your own home. There are rules in place to ensure a great visit for visitors and to ensure the culture and traditions of our home are maintained and kept in tact.
Let me try another way. ;) I did in fact read all that. I actually pretty well and with comprehension.
Their webpage states they will re-open Augusat 4th. They are open normal hours for about a week then large swath of closed days then reopen the day after I'll be leaving. They have a post on their FaceBook page that they are looking for people. That's why I came to the conclusion that many of the close days are due to lack of people. In fact one post says they hope to open but in order to open they need people.

None of that dismisses the fact that I HAVE asked at two different contacts for information.
You seem to have taken the uncharitable view that I will barge ahead with whatever I want which is furthest thing from the truth. So please climb down off your high horse and instead of berating for something in your imagination, possibly post something useful and pertinent to my question.
They clearly state that during ceremonies they do not allow cameras or recording devices including SPECIFICALLY mentioning drones. All other times within the few shalt nots they say they welcome cameras but do NOT specifically mention drones which is either inclusive or up to a snap decision depending.
So yes, my question pertained to use of a drone from outside contingent on there NOT being a ceremony which could easily be cleared up by a simple response to an email or phone call.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000