DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Some Guidance

RobG

Reactions
Hi folks. Well, after months of waiting, I finally got my Mavic Pro Fly More bundle from Drone World. I was very excited to get it but grandson's birthday was 12/28, my wife's birthday is 1/1, etc. , etc. so I haven't even flown it yet.

I know this has been covered in the past but there seems to be so many opinions in the various forums and the actual user guide doesn't touch on certain things.

So what I want to know is what I should do prior to flying for the first time. I am referring to things like firmware, calibrations, etc. Things like that. I have read some things should be calibrated, others have said don't calibrate anything, so I want advice as to what we are accepting as the proper procedure for a new Mavic?

Thanks,
Rob

Updated firmware but haven't calibrated anything. Perfect flights so far.

If nothing else, take a look at your start up screen for all normal sensors everywhere and especially take a look at the joystick positions in the calibration screen and make sure they are zero centered.

Just me

At the very least, you should do a compass calibration.

I did firmware, compass and sticks. Have never calibrated anything else in the 6 weeks I have owned it. Never had 1 issue in my 24 flights to date.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I only do what the app tells me, except for compass and gimbal. I calibrate the compass every time I fly now, only because I've experienced some diagonal flight in the past which stopped occurring once I started calibrating every time I fly. The gimbal I calibrate every so often to insure that I don't get the uneven horizon, but I've also gotten pretty good at adjusting that mid-flight, so now I really only calibrate the compass when I do a firmware update, just because it's convenient and I'm inside on a perfectly even surface.

Besides that, the app will tell you when any other calibration is needed. For the record I have not calibrated the IMU at all since receiving my Mavic in early November.

Question folks: Do I need to re-run the firmware update with each battery I own?

You only need to install the firmware on your extra batteries if the DJI GO app displays a prompt to do so on the start screen (before you enter the camera view).

I have taken every update and only calibrated when told to by the dji app.

If you have not done so already download the full Mavic user guide from here Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads. Lots of very useful information on the Mavic.

Question folks: Do I need to re-run the firmware update with each battery I own?

If you use Dji Assistant 2 (Desktop application) you will need to update:
- your drone
- your remote controller

When you now start the updated drone and connect your updated RC the Dji Go 4 App will tell you that some components need to update their firmware. This step has to be done for all batteries.

If you use the Dji Go 4 app to update the drones firmware it will update the drone and the RC at once. After that you will need to do step 2. (update batteries) as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf