DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor shooting at my drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be in a bit of a built up area, not out in the middle of nowhere. Check with the DA and find out if you are allowed to just shoot a gun into the air. That seems dangerous because that falling piece of lead may cause injury to say a child, getting hit in the head, or what if they looked up and it hit them in the eye? Also just shoot a gun off from your own porch, what if some one was out walking about past his property line and they were hit by his bullets, where is the safety to the public by such an irresponsible action.

The DA needs to be made aware of the FAA law making it illegal to shoot at or toward a drone, in case he/she does not know that. The neighbor sounds like a dangerous person to be near with his attitude about his right to shoot off his gun and that needs to be documented, get a recording, for future safety.

Reactions: fegan
For those of you making this about an American gun owning issue, stop being so obtuse. I own two drones and many guns. Believe in both rights. There are over 100M gun owners in USA that don’t murder or do stupid things like shoot in the air. If you cherish your drone flying freedom you shouldn’t be so against other freedoms. I can predict the “you can’t kill with a drone” replies so I’ll address that now. You can’t effectively defend yourself with one either. Last thing: the op did the right thing by turning this into the FAA, no one has the right to damage your private property based on feelings.

I would make it rain double buck over his place. I was shooting at aliens[emoji89][emoji89][emoji89]

It's clear with recent press reports that flights over "private land" will continue to cause issues as most folks fully believe that the cameras on the average drone and zoom in enough to matter. And also there is always the change that someone is doing something they should not be doing on their "private land". I don't expect most local authorities to step up and enforce any type of FAA official rule.

What is also sad, is that more and more states, (Arkansas which is mine included) continue to disallow flights in state parks 100%. In my state, a state park, has no private land issues, and many of the state parks have huge allotments of land which would allow for hours of flights without interfering with other folks visiting the more popular spots. But because of a few that choose to fly in and around people and can't contain themselves, thousands of acres of land are now off limits. With just a .0001 chance of a drone stopping and coming down on a person which is always there, I never have flown over people, just too much risk IMO. The two main issues Arkansas State Parks has are 1. Flights over popular areas and disturbing others. 2. Liability issues if something happens and a drone comes down and causes injury or property damage or both. 99% of the folks flying in my state I can assure have no Liability insurance for drones so I fully can understand the State Parks concerns.

Hopefully National Forest land will stay open, as Arkansas has plenty of it also.

Paul C

air rifle, .177 pellet and a scope. one or two shots without anyone hearing a shot.

The meat of the issue is, neither is a good neighbor. The guy fires a few shots over the bow to show he does not like the drone flying around near him. No damage caused, just a poor way to send a message.
Then the neighbor who calls the police, and plans to go to the DA. To try and cause problems for the shooter.
One guy doesnt want drones flying around, the other doesn't want people shooting in the air where his drone is. Sounds like the drone guy plans to prove he can do what he wants, whether the neighbor likes it or not.
Glad I don't have neighbors like either one of them.
I disagree. You fly your drone lawfully and some yahoo with a gun can shoot at it with impunity? Would you feel that way if it was your drone flying over your property and your gun happy neighbor decides he doesn’t like it so he can shoot your drone down? Did you even think the comment through?

I was flying my drone at my family lake house in Marietta Oklahoma. I was going up high and flying towards the lake. I flew over the neighbors property once at 116 meters and just kissed the edge of his property once at 75 meters when flying back according to the flight record gps. I was actually flying from the backyard and heard what I thought was a gun shot. It's the country so in the back of my mind I wondered if some moron was shooting at my drone but didn't get really nervous or anything. About 3 minutes later another shot rang out. At this point I started getting worried and panned the camera around. Then about 30 seconds later another shot rang out. At this point I was pretty sure even thought I couldn't see anything on the screen since it was so small that I knew what was going on. I came inside to look at the footage and saw the neighbor shooting into the air on the third shot. I'm not sure if he shot directly at the drone on the first and second shot or if he did the same thing with those as he did with the third shot. But either way all three shots happened when I was over my property.
We went over to ask him if he was shooting at my drone and through a lot of expletives he said I was on his property and this is the country and he'll shoot at anything he wants to out here.
We called the sheriff but they basically said there is nothing they can do since it's legal to shoot guns in your front yard out in the country... they say you're responsible for where that bullet goes... but it's not against the law to shoot out here. They also said that people have a right to their privacy. I told him that I'm pretty sure a guy standing in his front yard isn't necessarily entitled to privacy, otherwise how would news agencies film someone from the street. The sheriff said "well the news agencies get away with a lot of stuff." The sheriff went to talk to the neighbor but they basically admit they don't have any knowledge of drone laws and at what height a persons property ends. After the sheriff left the jerk of a neighbor was outside shooting more just to try proving a point that he can do whatever he wants.

Here's a link to the footage. I zoomed in to where you can see him shoot then zoom out so you can see how I'm on my property.

I'm really looking to make this a learning experience for myself. My wife keeps telling me "I wonder if he would have done that if you went out and talked to him before you flew"... but I just keep thinking... it's not my responsibility to tell every single person within eyesight that I'm going to fly my drone.
What would you do? How would you handle this? The sheriff said we could call the DA on Monday so we plan on doing that. Another friend told me to report it to the FAA so I did that. I'd love to hear thoughts.

Thanks,
Brad

If thats a public road he’s shooting over or there’s a church or school nearby, may want to look at this - 2014 Oklahoma Statutes :: Title 29. Game and Fish :: §29-5-204. Hunting or discharge of firearm near public place - Shooting from or across highway or railroad right-of-way.

Also, how the heck was he aiming for shooting? He’s standing doing a dumb hip shot sideways right next to his partner, and he’s got his arms in the way to really make a bad shot, and they are too close together for safety’s sake:
C813AD3A-F99D-49C5-8D07-1300EF95C574.jpeg

If thats a public road he’s shooting over or there’s a church or school nearby, may want to look at this - 2014 Oklahoma Statutes :: Title 29. Game and Fish :: §29-5-204. Hunting or discharge of firearm near public place - Shooting from or across highway or railroad right-of-way.

Also, how the heck was he aiming for shooting? He’s standing doing a dumb hip shot sideways right next to his partner, and he’s got his arms in the way to really make a bad shot, and they are too close together for safety’s sake:
View attachment 51729
Yea we're not dealing with the sharpest tool in the shed here...

UPDATE: My father went back to the family lake house last night. He saw the neighbor outside this morning and went to talk to him again. This time everyone was much more calm he says and they had a nice discussion. He admitted to overreacting by firing shots in the air and my father told him he probably over reacted by calling the sheriff. The guy basically felt like we were trying to mess with him. Being honest and being in his shoes I can understand. He said had I come over and said something to him it wouldn't have been a problem because he actually thinks drones are neat. But he didn't see anyone flying it since I was flying from a chair in the back yard. Again, I don't necessarily think you should have to go and tell every single person that you're going to fly, but if you want to avoid any problems communication helps and being out in the open where people can see you would be a plus. My father told him that we wouldn't fly over his property which he said to just come tell him first and he would be fine with it.
I have taken down the video on my fathers request, he doesn't want it to get back to him that we were trying to bash him and stir up more trouble down the road.

I know it wont be popular here but I so thankful we had a Prime Minister who bit the bullet (pun intended) and banned firearms in most cases. The news today from Pittsburgh is just another reason to be thankful and this post also emphasis that point. Nutters and guns don't mix and discharging a firearm like this nutter does should result in a long time behind bars in any civilised country.

That presumes that every gun owner in the US is a "nutter" and should be disarmed. I'm happy for the UK that they have a PM who is so prescient that he can determine in one sweep that all you Brits are nutters and should be disarmed.

Talking to a neighbor before calling authorities is ideal, but if someone is shooting guns and threatening life or property, getting authorities is prudent as you don't know what they are going to do. They admitted they overreacted, so they hopefully would then understand your reaction to protect yourself.

Anyway, glad it ended amicably. Asking to be notified for each flight is a bit unrealistic, especially now that he knows you fly.

God Dang plastic bird filming me! I should shoot it cuz the first ammendment and RIGHTS AND LIBERTY AND MURICA. ABORTION IS MURDER.

**** my cousin looks good today.

Too far? ;)
Nope.. Billie's be TARDED......:(

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have taken down the video on my fathers request, he doesn't want it to get back to him that we were trying to bash him and stir up more trouble down the road.

What about when your neighbor googles "can I shoot a drone over my property" and this thread shows up? Just kidding! [emoji3]

Reactions: theishkid
That presumes that every gun owner in the US is a "nutter" and should be disarmed. I'm happy for the UK that they have a PM who is so prescient that he can determine in one sweep that all you Brits are nutters and should be disarmed.
I am in Australia, not the UK, and there is overwhelming electoral support for our firearms laws.

Is this why people insist on keeping their guns? I hope my future home in CO doesn't have this type of problem.

I was flying my drone at my family lake house in Oklahoma. I was going up high and flying towards the lake. I flew over the neighbors property once at 116 meters and just kissed the edge of his property once at 75 meters when flying back according to the flight record gps. I was actually flying from the backyard and heard what I thought was a gun shot. It's the country so in the back of my mind I wondered if some guy was shooting at my drone but didn't get really nervous or anything. About 3 minutes later another shot rang out. At this point I started getting worried and panned the camera around. Then about 30 seconds later another shot rang out. At this point I was pretty sure even thought I couldn't see anything on the screen since it was so small that I knew what was going on. I came inside to look at the footage and saw the neighbor shooting into the air on the third shot. I'm not sure if he shot directly at the drone on the first and second shot or if he did the same thing with those as he did with the third shot. But either way all three shots happened when I was over my property.
We went over to ask him if he was shooting at my drone and through a lot of expletives he said I was on his property and this is the country and he'll shoot at anything he wants to out here.
We called the sheriff but they basically said there is nothing they can do since it's legal to shoot guns in your front yard out in the country... they say you're responsible for where that bullet goes... but it's not against the law to shoot out here. They also said that people have a right to their privacy. I told him that I'm pretty sure a guy standing in his front yard isn't necessarily entitled to privacy, otherwise how would news agencies film someone from the street. The sheriff said "well the news agencies get away with a lot of stuff." The sheriff went to talk to the neighbor but they basically admit they don't have any knowledge of drone laws and at what height a persons property ends. After the sheriff left the jerk of a neighbor was outside shooting more just to try proving a point that he can do whatever he wants.

I'm really looking to make this a learning experience for myself. My wife keeps telling me "I wonder if he would have done that if you went out and talked to him before you flew"... but I just keep thinking... it's not my responsibility to tell every single person within eyesight that I'm going to fly my drone.
What would you do? How would you handle this? The sheriff said we could call the DA on Monday so we plan on doing that. Another friend told me to report it to the FAA so I did that. I'd love to hear thoughts.

Thanks,
Brad
I believe that shooting at an aircraft is a Federal offense...yes it is a drone but a Federally Regulated "AIRCRAFT" just the same...please let us know what the FAA reply is...be safe, fly smart

Reactions: cderoche
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer