DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Australian Drone registration coming this year.

PC1134

Reactions
CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) has released this information which I think is a start in reigning in rogue drone operators and giving back some credibility to the vast majority of responsible drone users. They have initiated a consultation period based on new registration and testing procedures. What are your thoughts? I've copied in a summary below:

Drone registration and accreditation scheme
Consultation is underway on the details of a proposed comprehensive drone registration and accreditation scheme. CASA is planning to introduce the drone registration and accreditation scheme progressively in the second half of 2019. Under the proposal all commercial drones will need to be registered, while recreational drones weighing more than 250 grams will be registered. The cost has yet to be determined by CASA. It will depend on whether the drone is flown for fun or profit. It is likely to be a $20 or less annual fee (per person) for recreational drones and for some model aircraft operators. There will also be an annual registration fee likely to range from $100 to $160 per drone for each commercial drone. Accreditation will involve online education, based around a video, and an online quiz. All recreational drone flyers 16 years and older will need to be accredited, as well as drone operators in the excluded category, which includes under two kilogram commercially operated drones. Accreditation will need to be renewed every three years. It is proposed that people will need to be 16 years or older to register a drone, with younger people needing to be supervised by a person over 18 years old. The Federal Government has supported the introduction of a mandatory accreditation and registration system for drones. This was in a response to the recommendation from a Senate Standing Committee on Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport inquiry.
Find out more about proposed drone registration and accreditation and have your say by 22 February 2019.
Drone surveillance underway
Data on drone activity near major aerodromes is being collected to inform CASA’s development of new remotely piloted aircraft safety strategies. CASA has engaged a contractor to conduct the surveillance during the first half of 2019. The surveillance will be carried out progressively at mainland capital city airports, as well as around Sydney Harbour, a known drone hotspot. Drones will be monitored at locations near aerodrome boundaries and in and around approach and departure paths. At Sydney Harbour drones will be monitored that infringe restricted airspace. In most instances, the drone surveillance equipment can see where a drone is operating, as well as showing where the controller and operator is located. The technology also provides the serial number or ID of the drone where available. While the drone surveillance is initially being conducted as a trial to gather data, it may be used by CASA for enforcement of the remotely piloted aircraft safety regulations.

It sounds reasonable to me. The CASA suggested online course seems easy enough also. The proposed $100 accreditation fee isn't as bad as i thought it could be.

Reactions: Hardgainer
It sounds reasonable to me. The CASA suggested online course seems easy enough also. The proposed $100 accreditation fee isn't as bad as i thought it could be.
That appears to only apply to commercial drones, with recreational drones apparently not requiring a fee payment, as I read it.

The $20 might be a little onerous for the average rec hobbyist; I think $10 would be more palatable, but in the end, we aren't talking Sheep Stations here, and when you consider the cost of the drone in the first place (M2P for me plus I've just received my Smart Controller as well), the cost is pretty insignificant really

The latest update is now out and at this stage the requirement for registration will begin somewhere between 04th November 2019 and 04th May 2020.

What a load of crap ,nanny state stuff all they need to do is come down hard on the ones doing the wrong thing and leave the rest alone, as stated in the article they know what is flying and where it wouldn’t be hard to find the offending operator.