DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI fly app version (android)

VPARREIRA_PT

Reactions
Dears

I'm a Gavin follower due to the fact the he's always sharing the first impressions about new versions of apps and drone firmware's.

Today I saw the below video

Where we can see a new error message about battery (not a comfortable message...)

Did you tested the new DJI fly app version? Can we do the firmware update of the drone without do the app update?

Regards

Reactions: Gagey52
Interesting. I must say, I fly an Air2s (only right now) using the RC Pro just upgraded to the new firmware and new Fly App. The RC Pro is on Android 10. I just flew one battery with conditions that challenge connectivity in particular. I must say: ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES - except the "Airplane nearby condition" still does not come with telemetry. Smooth live video. Connectivity after analyzing the flight remained at 100% (no errors) yet the signal got degraded while I purposely flew behind a mountain. No issues.

I don't like it when he always finds issues with an update. But he always tests out new updates before you can make the jump, which is very appreciable.

Reactions: Yaros
It seems like DJI doesn't even test their own updates before uploading them to their servers that host the auto update versions.
I updated the app 1 hour before Gavin released the video with the issues. I updated the firmware today but didn't fly yet, I will test it today, I will fly with the new fly app and firmware, hope it works well.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
It seems like DJI doesn't even test their own updates before uploading them to their servers that host the auto update versions.
I updated the app 1 hour before Gavin released the video with the issues. I updated the firmware today but didn't fly yet, I will test it today, I will fly with the new fly app and firmware, hope it works well.
It seems that way. That said, I do like the speed at which they fix the bugs. Of course, any GOOD software/firmware update would've already gone through thorough testing BEFORE being published and would've saved them the extra time for yet another update to fix the already new update from the day before. Is that what's called "job security"?

I've installed DJI FLY 1.5.9 and done one flight with no problems.

Two things to note,
  • The Update Home Point menu option is not at the top of the Safety page as reported by one Youtube video.
  • The glitch remains where the drone operates in Normal mode even though it was started with the controller switch in Cine mode. As before, the mode can be reset to Cine by moving the switch to normal and back to Cine.
(Air 2S, standard controller, Android, Galaxy S5e tablet)

Reactions: VPARREIRA_PT

Two things to note,
  • The Update Home Point menu option is not at the top of the Safety page as reported by one Youtube video.
  • The glitch remains where the drone operates in Normal mode even though it was started with the controller switch in Cine mode. As before, the mode can be reset to Cine by moving the switch to normal and back to Cine.
The "start in normal mode" is not a glitch. It is a safety factor built in by DJI to prevent taking off in Sport mode. Could prove to be dangerous to take off inadvertently in Sport if something is in the way.

The "start in normal mode" is not a glitch. It is a safety factor built in by DJI to prevent taking off in Sport mode. Could prove to be dangerous to take off inadvertently in Sport if something is in the way.
Thanks. Interesting. Is that documented by DJI anywhere?

Have you confirmed that setting the controller to Sport results in Normal operation? I'll check that tomorrow.

I agree that taking off in Sport mode isn't prudent. But if safety was the intent, it seems like the Cine mode would be forced for takeoff rather than normal.

Interesting. I must say, I fly an Air2s (only right now) using the RC Pro just upgraded to the new firmware and new Fly App. The RC Pro is on Android 10. I just flew one battery with conditions that challenge connectivity in particular. I must say: ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES - except the "Airplane nearby condition" still does not come with telemetry. Smooth live video. Connectivity after analyzing the flight remained at 100% (no errors) yet the signal got degraded while I purposely flew behind a mountain. No issues.
I fly the same equipment and can report the same (exact) results. No issues except the “Airplane nearby condition “. Only difference is where I live we have no mountains.

Two things to note,
That is not a "Glitch", all (M2 on) DJI Drones start in Normal/"P" mode regardless of switch position...it was done for safety. If one wishes to fly any other mode than as you described, center switch to confirm and then select optional mode. Ooppps see this was already posted... a pilot should know how to fly in normal mode, thus a mode that is too fast or too slow of a response is of more danger...at least that is DJI's philosophy. I know it is in my owners manual, not sure about other craft.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair