DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI FlySafe Unlocking process

Fort Pierce Pilot

Turning downwind and climbing
Premium Pilot
Reactions
My backyard is in Class D airspace. I regularly self-unlock both in real-time and through the website. Today I tried it and they have changed the procedure. Most was self evident, name, ph#, (they text you for verification) your e-mail (they e-mail you another verification), your equipment and controller s/n(s), By now it’s likely you need a drink but the last thing they want is to enter a pilot. It asks for your DJI account # and to add the name of the pilot. I searched invoices, all past communication - nothing that says account number. Waded through the molasses of the phone that is no longer answered directing you to an online chat I could never find and finally circled back here to an old posting unrelated to unlocking but telling folks their DJI account number is actually their associated e-mail address. ARGH!!! ok - deep breath - entered it as the account number and my name as pilot and presto! It accepted it. Sort of…..The pilot field remained blank…..ARGH! I tried adding it again, but it said that pilot already existed. Finally figured out I had to put my e-mail address in (again) as the pilot. After that it went OK…..I thought I was going to feel foolish for having skipped the unlocking video, so I watched it. Unfortunately, it describes the old method and won’t help you either.

I had almost a mirror image of your experience. Looked for almost an hour for the account number only to discover it was my email address. Wish I’d read your post first.

My backyard is in Class D airspace. I regularly self-unlock both in real-time and through the website. Today I tried it and they have changed the procedure. Most was self evident, name, ph#, (they text you for verification) your e-mail (they e-mail you another verification), your equipment and controller s/n(s), By now it’s likely you need a drink but the last thing they want is to enter a pilot. It asks for your DJI account # and to add the name of the pilot. I searched invoices, all past communication - nothing that says account number. Waded through the molasses of the phone that is no longer answered directing you to an online chat I could never find and finally circled back here to an old posting unrelated to unlocking but telling folks their DJI account number is actually their associated e-mail address. ARGH!!! ok - deep breath - entered it as the account number and my name as pilot and presto! It accepted it. Sort of…..The pilot field remained blank…..ARGH! I tried adding it again, but it said that pilot already existed. Finally figured out I had to put my e-mail address in (again) as the pilot. After that it went OK…..I thought I was going to feel foolish for having skipped the unlocking video, so I watched it. Unfortunately, it describes the old method and won’t help you either.

Is this a one time type thing?

Is this a one time type thing?
Yes, I applied today for two more - all my entries were there and it went smoothly and quickly. Good once you understand what your "account number" is.

Reactions: Afghanpilot
UPDATE – workaround for the DJI GEO Zone Unlocking malfunction (“User authentication failed” and “Unlock Failed”)

The DJI Unlocking URL matters! (KAPA class D airspace, Mavic 2 Pro, GO4, Smart Controller, current firmware, valid DJI account)

If you go to the dji.com site, then go to Support, then go to FlySafe, then choose UNLOCK ZONE you will be directed to their new Unlock Request page https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock-request/list. Any request I’ve made through their “+ New Unlock Request” … “Zone Unlocking” process has provided an authorization that fails to actually unlock the zone in the GO4 app on my Smart Controller. HOWEVER if I use the old unlocking provided through the URL – Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI then the DJI authorization that is generated WORKS. So, the old system generates a useable authorization but the new and improved systems does not. I hope DJI doesn’t remove the old URL until they fix the new system. Good luck.

With all the technology DJI has you would think that they might have a section in their Go 4 and fly apps that can automate the process when hooked up to your controller without having to enter all the information that they already have when your drone boots up?

Unlocking is burdensome and so much easier done in advance from home from a computer where you have a screen that you can actually see and an actual keyboard where you can actually enter information easily, and a mouse where you can move around the screen without dragging your finger around.

With all the technology DJI has you would think that they might have a section in their Go 4 and fly apps that can automate the process when hooked up to your controller without having to enter all the information that they already have when your drone boots up?

Unlocking is burdensome and so much easier done in advance from home from a computer where you have a screen that you can actually see and an actual keyboard where you can actually enter information easily, and a mouse where you can move around the screen without dragging your finger around.
Agree 100.0%. The app knows who you are (if you're signed in to your DJI account), it knows the serial number of the attached controller, it knows where you are - it has access to everything it needs to completely automate the process.

There should be an "Unlock" button that just does it.

I just encountered this on a sort of impromptu flight here in Mass and am incredibly annoyed at DJI. Got my LAANC authorization for 300ft, check out the surrounding area, see that there's a medical center with a helipad near so I'm aware, set my max altitude to 290ft just in case, take off and get maxed out at 196ft with no way to unlock from within the app.

I'm currently playing around with the DJI FlySafe Unlock Request, but it's very frustrating. I've heard people complaining about geo fencing before but this is the first time I'm encountering one that I couldn't just approve in the app and it's genuinely making me reconsider buying DJI in the future.

Newbie drone owner here (Mavic Air 2). Glad to find this forum. Look forward to corresponding and learning with fellow drone operators.

Received my drone last week and high winds and storms cancelled any flying time. Today I go out to fly and it won't fly, although saying "ready to take off".

On my screen, it says "enhanced warning zone". I do live within a few miles of a non towered small airport.

Is that the reason the drone won't fly?

I also had the same issue yesterday, and thanks for the email address info. I am also in a blue zone and have been self unlocking from the DJI Fly app with no issues. It now wants my phone number and a check mark, and press the request button. It just sits there and spins. This was after I did an update. I tried to do the self unlock from the webpage and got a code sent to my phone, I entered the code into the webpage but the drone was still locked. Suggestions???

I also had the same issue yesterday, and thanks for the email address info. I am also in a blue zone and have been self unlocking from the DJI Fly app with no issues. It now wants my phone number and a check mark, and press the request button. It just sits there and spins. This was after I did an update. I tried to do the self unlock from the webpage and got a code sent to my phone, I entered the code into the webpage but the drone was still locked. Suggestions???
Go on your computer and get it unlocked. It is good to have the controller serial numbers handy nearby so you can complete the unlock request. If you have continued issues write to fly safe support. They seem fairly responsive, though not always fully helpful.

I got to a site earlier this week and tried self-unlocking. I never receieved the code on my phone. Tried several times and gave up. I used DJI Fly and flew the job later in the week.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada