DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Dji Smart Controller - what are your thoughts???

FLPilotshark

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
1548600766235.png
DJI Smart Controller with 5.5" Screen for Mavic 2 Drones

Maximize your flying experience with the all-new DJI Smart Controller. Fitted with a 5.5” 1080p touchscreen, this smart controller is compatible with the Mavic 2 or any other aircraft equipped with OcuSync 2.0. This built-in display boasts a 1,000 cd/m2 output, approximately two times brighter than regular smartphones, enabling you to view your footage even under intense sunlight. The redesigned body is now tailored to work under harsh conditions, making the controller functional at temperatures ranging from -20C to 40C. It also has automatic switching between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHZ, giving users a reliable long-range connection as far as 8km while still maintaining image quality. The controller features a customizable Android dashboard that can support third-party editing programs with ease. It has DJI Pilot and DJI GO 4 with an all-new SkyTalk feature which allows pilots to live stream their footage to various social media channels like Facebook, WeChat, and Instagram. It also features DJI GO-Share, allowing for the easy transfer of images from the controller to your mobile device. Enjoy smooth, flexible flying and reliable long-range connectivity along with a 2.5-hour battery life with the new DJI Smart Controller.

The DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the Mavic 2 or other aircraft equipped with OcuSync 2.0. A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like SkyTalk and the DJI GO 4 app get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before.

Built-in Ultra-Bright Screen
The DJI Smart Controller has a built-in 5.5-inch 1080p screen, providing an ultra-bright display to keep your live feed easily viewable, even in direct sunlight. At 1000 cd/sq. m, the display is approximately twice as bright as conventional smart device screens.

OcuSync 2.0 Full-HD Video Transmission
Equipped with OcuSync 2.0 Full-HD video transmission technology, the DJI Smart Controller supports automatic switching between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz, reducing the influence of environmental interference on drone operation and image quality. This also ensures reliable long-range transmission at distances of up to of 8 km.

Efficient and Portable
The DJI Smart Controller connects to your drone as soon as it's powered on, letting you take off in no time and never miss a moment of the action. Featuring an integrated design with detachable control sticks, the DJI Smart Controller is also portable enough to bring with you anywhere.

Reliable in More Environments
The DJI Smart Controller is capable of stable operation in temperatures ranging from -20 Degree C to 40 Degree C, giving you reliable, HD connection with your drone in more places.

Go Share
Easily transfer your aerial photos and videos from the DJI Smart Controller to your mobile device using the DJI GO 4 app's new Go Share function.

Customized System
The DJI Smart Controller's customized Android system and optimized DJI GO 4 app give you freedom from the restraints of conventional mobile devices to ensure faster, focused aerial creation. The Smart Controller also supports third-party apps for a variety of additional sharing and editing options.

Excellent Audio and Video Performance
With a built-in microphone and speaker, the DJI Smart Controller can playback videos through the HDMI port at 4K 60fps on the H.264 and H.265 codecs.

More Features

SkyTalk
The new SkyTalk feature is an amazing way to let others in on your aerial experience. Use it to live-stream your drone's camera view directly to social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram. It also allows you to create and share short videos instantly.

Long-Lasting Battery Life
The 5000mAh battery supports quick charging and can work continuously for up to 2.5 hours.
DJI Smart Controller Features
  • 5.5" 1080p Display
  • OcuSync 2.0
  • -20 Degree C to 40 Degree C
  • Customized Android system
  • DJI Go Share
  • Supports Third-party Apps

Reactions: RogerMav
I'm fine with where the screen is, but rather small for the price. Not much bigger than a phone.
I wish someone would make a mount that lets you attach a larger tablet at the same level and angle as if you directly mounted a phone.

I wish they would have put the display above the sticks.
Then they would have had to make it longer because you could not hold and control it with the sticks right at the bottom of the screen, it would be out of balance. You need a length on each side bellow sticks to hold it properly and comfortably. It's a trade off with function and fit.

Reactions: RogerMav
Then they would have had to make it longer because you could not hold and control it with the sticks right at the bottom of the screen, it would be out of balance. You need a length on each side bellow sticks to hold it properly and comfortably. It's a trade off with function and fit.

It really depends on where you like your balance point. I like mine a little forward, its easier to hold the controller that way. The CS is mounted higher up on the controller, and that weighs a ton but still balances.

CS mounted.jpg

Attachments

• CS mounted_002.jpg
    CS mounted_002.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 80
It really depends on where you like your balance point. I like mine a little forward, its easier to hold the controller that way. The CS is mounted higher up on the controller, and that weighs a ton but still balances.

View attachment 60807
I completely agree with that but then the user has the little fold out arms that normally hold the phone, as the area to hold the unit and get that balance. Now... if DJI had mounted the screen above the sticks and assuming , relocated them below the screen, so just the opposite of what they currently have, that would leave nothing below the sticks, to get a grip on, and that would be a terrible design to hold and balance.

To get an idea of that sort of feel, fit a phone in the current controller then rotate it 180 degrees, to have the screen on top, and see how that feels, for all those saying they wish they had mounted the screen above. Don't get me wrong, I too would have liked to see the screen above the sticks, but to get the balance correct and the hold position comfortable for your hands, they would need to have extensions on the main body below the sticks, to get the grip and feel correct on a controller.

This would have made the controller longer still, which would then be a storage problem for everyone. Maybe they could come out with an Ultrabright version with a 1 inch larger screen (or1.5 inch) and then have the screen on top, with fold out arms along the bottom, below the control sticks. Sort of like they have now to hold a phone, but these would just be for giving a comfortable holding position, yet by folding back in, it would reduce the overall size for storage.

They could have mounted the sticks on the side of the screen and upper of middle position for a comfortable hold, but that would make the controller wider, again a storage problem. No easy fix to make it a nice viewing position, balance and size for storage, really.

This was a nice configuration, very ergonomic, and good balance point Some day, the Phantom will have a truly integrated display, not just hanging off the controller.

Attachments

• P4P+ controller.png
    P4P+ controller.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
I'm fine with where the screen is, but rather small for the price. Not much bigger than a phone.
I wish someone would make a mount that lets you attach a larger tablet at the same level and angle as if you directly mounted a phone.
Can’t you run a separate monoter off of a tri pod?

Reactions: Former Member
I just got mine today. It's very nice, but I cannot figure out two things. First how do you upgrade DJI GO4, it has 4.3.10 and I want the latest 4.3.12, which includes the new Waypoint feature. Second, where's the app that allows you to find and download other apps, like whatever the Android equivalent of the App Store is?

Second, where's the app that allows you to find and download other apps, like whatever the Android equivalent of the App Store is?

Is it supposed to be a fully fledged Andriod device that can run any Android app? My guess is "no" because then people would load it up with apps that would run in the background and degrade overall performance. It's an RC - not a quasi-replacement for your phone or tablet. Of course, I could be totally incorrect.

Is it supposed to be a fully fledged Andriod device that can run any Android app? My guess is "no" because then people would load it up with apps that would run in the background and degrade overall performance. It's an RC - not a quasi-replacement for your phone or tablet. Of course, I could be totally incorrect.
I know it's not going to run any app, and I don't want to load a bunch of clutter on it, but how do you install or get anything without the Play Store? I'm new to Android.

Reactions: Former Member
I just got mine today. It's very nice, but I cannot figure out two things. First how do you upgrade DJI GO4, it has 4.3.10 and I want the latest 4.3.12, which includes the new Waypoint feature. Second, where's the app that allows you to find and download other apps, like whatever the Android equivalent of the App Store is?

The App is a customised version, it comes with the firmware direct from DJI. They released ver. 0350, which includes .12 of the App this morning.

If you want to load additional Apps then your best option is to browse to APKpure.com using the Lightning Browser, install APKPure as an app. You can then side load apps to the controller.

What you cannot do is sideload version of the DJI Go or Go 4 app to the device, it will give the impression that it is doing so then fail with an error.

Litchi is not currently compatible with the controller.

I for one, bought this as an all in one remote, not an iPad replacement.
I keep all the flight planning apps on my phone because I have it anyway so what's the point in cluttering up the remote?

What a load of rubbish, plenty of mid-information here.

The guy obviously fails to understand anything about the controller.

‘It doesn’t update over WiFi’ rubbish it does, it installs in background!

Just so much of it I could watch then I gave up!

He spent the whole video saying how bad it was but still has his referral links in the post, what a hypocrite!

I too paid for my controller, I have had no problems at all it’s been flawless other than a slightly slow update which is now resolved. I have flown about 3 hours on it and not signal problem or an app crash it’s been stable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee