DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New drone … where to fly around Spokane WA.

FireballXL5

Reactions
I just ordered my first drone, a Mavic Mini, and I'm wondering where around Spokane I can fly it. I know that County and City parks are off limits, and of course around airports, etc.. I'm just wondering where other pilots like to fly. Suggestions? Thanks, Ken ...

Hey FireballXL5 just curious since this is an older post. What parts in Spokane are you flying? I fly around my home and then parts of the Spokane river that are outside of the airport's airspace and in Ford, Wa.

Concerning the law / rules for city parks, this one is interesting. After reading what Spokane has posted, it doesn't say you can't, but says " not in a manner that is dangerous to persons or property." I had a long phone call with our local FAA rep in Spokane concerning laws, restrictions and such things as city parks. I was told it is in the the word "manner" that is touchy. Although I don't fly in the parks, haven't wanted to. It was explained to me, that it depends on where you take off and land, just do not do it from the park. But again I have no reason to fly in the park, just found this is another one of those rules that can be confusing to me.

~Wade

Hi Wade.
From what I can tell it's OK to fly in Spokane City parks, as long as you follow the FAA rules. You CAN NOT take off or land in Spokane County parks. Because the FAA controls the air space you can fly in the county park, just not take off or land there. I got this directly from the head park ranger for the county.

I do plan on flying along the Spokane River, in permitted areas. I did fly around Joe Albi field before they started the construction, and around Merkel park. Mostly I fly around my north side neighborhood. I would like to fly the Duncan gardens next spring or summer time frame. I would really like to fly around the County Courthouse as night, but that is in a no fly zone so I guess that isn't going to happen. It seems like the places I want to fly/film around Spokane are in no fly zones. With COVID I have been staying close to home and venturing out much, so I haven't done as much flying as I was hoping for.

Ken ...

Hey Ken,

Thanks for replying. Yeah I was trying to read up to see if you can fly around Duncan Gardens, beautiful area. I'm up around the South Hill area, so I always have to get LANNC auth before I fly. Flying out past Mirabeau Park along the river is a great place. In parts of it you need to get LANNC auth, but just past the park you are okay to fly. I still stay below 250 just to be safe.

COVID hasn't kept me in, I still been going to work through this whole thing so going out and enjoying the outside hasn't been an issue to me. I'm by myself, no one around so social distancing isn't a problem. I've been thinking about submitting paperwork to get approval to fly in the northern part of Riverside state park where no one is. Just need to download the forum and submit it. Maybe this coming summer.

Wade

I have thought about getting a permit to fly Palouse Falls, or other State Parks, but I'm not sure I want to pay a $25 non-refundable fee. Let me know how the process goes, if you decide to do that.

I would love to fly and film Granite Lake along I-90, but it is so close to the airport that it's a major no fly zone!

I was also going to try to fly the entire Sculpture Walk downtown to film each sculpture, but again, no fly zone! Sculpture Walk

Have you made any videos of your flights? Here are a few that I have done: Ken Lutz

Ken ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54