DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New drone owner in Orlando

minipro3

Reactions
Just received my new MiniPro 3 and looking for any drone owners in my area. This is my first drone and I'm clueless except for what I can learn on Youtube. Would appreciate any help getting started. I live in West Orlando, not far from Windermere.

Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the Forum....There's a lot of good quality teaching/feedback going on in here. Just ask, and the experts are great on providing good sound advice for you to apply and use... Remember to always Fly safely and fly smartly representing all of us drone hobbyist well.

Good place to start: https://faadronezone.faa.gov
The Windermere area is really congested; it's hard to imagine open flying spaces. CR535 and Avalon Road are getting more homes. Florida state parks are off limits. If you're into real estate there is a lot of competition.

Welcome from Fort Pierce

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART
Its easy to say those words, but more difficult to do.

Just received my new MiniPro 3 and looking for any drone owners in my area. This is my first drone and I'm clueless except for what I can learn on Youtube. Would appreciate any help getting started. I live in West Orlando, not far from Windermere.
Hi, New here also. Im in Edgewater, if you find a place to fly would you let me know? Ill do the same.

I am on the other side of Orlando in Oviedo. As mentioned above, Orlando is a very congested area. If you're new to drones and aviation the regulations may be difficult to take in, kinda like drinking from a firehose. Your drone comes with software that has 'GEO' Zones built in by the manufacturer that try to keep you from flying in airspace where you're not supposed to be. However the authority in the US is the FAA, don't confuse one with the other.

Below is a screen shot of the bigger GEO zones in Orlando, you'll see two International airports Plus the Exec airport in the Middle and Kissimmee below those, plus a year round restriction around Disney World. Until you learn a little, best stay away from these areas.

I never get over to the west side but if you need help, shoot me a PM and I will try to help.

OtownGEO.jpg

Congratulations on hoping this forum. You will get a ton out of it. Wow! Your sectional has as many restrictions as we have in Houston. Good practice using the apps to get LAANC approval. It works.

I am on the other side of Orlando in Oviedo. As mentioned above, Orlando is a very congested area. If you're new to drones and aviation the regulations may be difficult to take in, kinda like drinking from a firehose. Your drone comes with software that has 'GEO' Zones built in by the manufacturer that try to keep you from flying in airspace where you're not supposed to be. However the authority in the US is the FAA, don't confuse one with the other.

Below is a screen shot of the bigger GEO zones in Orlando, you'll see two International airports Plus the Exec airport in the Middle and Kissimmee below those, plus a year round restriction around Disney World. Until you learn a little, best stay away from these areas.

I never get over to the west side but if you need help, shoot me a PM and I will try to help.

View attachment 159341
Hello, Thank you fro the reply. I have the app b4ufly so. have an idea of where I can fly by FAA rules. Its the county and city rules that I cant find. It seems Volusia county is not drone friendly so Im looking for a place to fly legally where I wont have trouble with any law enforcement.

It seems Volusia county is not drone friendly so Im looking for a place to fly legally where I wont have trouble with any law enforcement.

Finding a suitable flying spot in Central Florida is difficult, but it can be done. First thing to keep in mind is that city or county governments can only tell you where can or cannot take off or land, they cannot enforce any rule in the sky, only the FAA can do that.

Having said that; I do not recommend flying over places where drones are clearly not wanted - why push it. Years ago Orlando had a blanket rule about drone flights but a federal court struck that down for the reason I just mentioned. All Florida State Parks are off limits but not the State Forests.

For the last several months I have been looking for a suitable site that I could use to fly and video. Coordinating the DJI Geo Zone map with sectionals I found several large remote areas well east of Orlando that I ten used Google earth to closely look at. Most are County trail heads or hiking/biking areas that are way out of the way but those are what i was looking for.

If you spend a little time looking and maybe even check some of your local parks and just talk to the attendants you might find they don't mind as long as you don't cause any trouble. I went to a local park a while back that is used for soccer matches during school hours and asked if it would be possible to fly when no one was there and was told that would be fine as long as I agreed not to fly during those matches or times when the park had crowds. Works great for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11