DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Feature Request: Winds Aloft Report.

kayest

Reactions
It would be very useful (I think), if my drone could measure and report current winds aloft. I know it can give a somewhat crude "high wind warning" but a more precise report of speed and direction could be very handy for planning longer distance flights. Ultimately it could lead to drawing an accurate range perimeter on the map.

Assuming that the current technique used to provide a high wind warning is insufficiently precise, it would seem that a winds report could be easily implemented if the user were to send a command which would put the drone into a stable hover, measure GPS position, trigger atti mode for 10 seconds, back to GPS hold, measure distance and direction, and return to original position.

What am I missing here?

-Steve

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
It can indicate instantaneous wind speeds, look at the attitude indicator ( in the map thing ) whilst hovering or, again whilst hovering, switch the gimbal to FPV and do a slow 360deg yaw.
If the attitude indicator shows the drone flying level yet at the speed you commanded then you know you are flying downwind and that the wind speed matches your commanded speed.
I have seen a Mini RTH perfectly level, it was bizarre.
If the attitude indicator happens to show the drone flying in reverse whilst the drone is moving forwards then you know you are flying down wind in wind that exceeds your commanded speed and you may already be in difficulties.
Similarly if flying upwind the pitch/tilt for a commanded speed will increase as the head wind increases.

But with regards to planning longer distance flights, any such information is transient and I would suggest NOT suitable for planning.
It could take a localised squall only a few minutes to ensure you drone will run out of battery power before it gets home.
If you have reason to worry about a proposed flight then don't fly it.
I have seen a gust take a Phantom 3 a quarter of a mile or more in seconds despite the P3 flying "flat out" up wind.

Last edited:
If you’re planning ambitious flights it’s worth educating yourself on the vagaries of meteorology, it’s a complex subject but something airplane pilots treat with huge respect. Although you may not be talking about operating a drone around cities, you may find the attached video interesting, just one very small part of understanding weather

I think that one drone site you upload your flight record to can tell you what the winds are.

Strangely winds were supposed to gust to 25 mph today but between fences houses trees that I'm getting all the effect of the wind.

But when I pointed into the wind the quad started becoming hard to control. It was drifting into the wind not with the wind. Kind of strange. Both in normal and sport mode. Maybe the leaves were confusing the downward vision sensors? Flew a couple times and it sailed away into the wind while trying to hold position? Anybody else have that problem? I know I've flown it when the gusts were about 20 knots and a couple of times it gust too much and scooted forward slightly when it got too much but otherwise held.

I think that one drone site you upload your flight record to can tell you what the winds are.

Strangely winds were supposed to gust to 25 mph today but between fences houses trees that I'm getting all the effect of the wind.

But when I pointed into the wind the quad started becoming hard to control. It was drifting into the wind not with the wind. Kind of strange. Both in normal and sport mode. Maybe the leaves were confusing the downward vision sensors? Flew a couple times and it sailed away into the wind while trying to hold position? Anybody else have that problem? I know I've flown it when the gusts were about 20 knots and a couple of times it gust too much and scooted forward slightly when it got too much but otherwise held.
Very strange behaviour. What are you flying

Reactions: LoudThunder
I plugged the m1p into assistant 2. No firmware updates for it. Maybe if I had mpp it might show a remote id update firmware. Maybe somebody else can try it.

But doing vision calibration, only one vision sensor was showing and no red box. Does it do both at the same time? Anybody remember? Maybe part of my wind fly away problem. Does seem like the vision radar wasn’t showing up in go. Can't get past this step to try the downward sensors to see if they are working.

Changed back to the first gimbal board and all vision sensors are showing video and did calibration, and it flies about the same in lesser wind. Go complains about forward sensors not working since ambient light is too bright? I know I've flown over leaves and it makes a good leaf blower without the drift. My sensor in the camera lens doesn't appear to be going right maybe the cable but I've changed that too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szost557