DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware June 16th For RC & Mini 3P

The first 3-4 minutes of the video are acceptable levels of signal loss, then it just ***** the bed. Multiple full disconnects between 4 and 6 minutes.
You are flying in a poor area to accurately test loss of signal. The water in tree leaves absorb the signal making a test invalid.
Here's a screen capture right at the end of your video clip showing where you took off from. You headed straight out between some trees and continued in that general direction but then turned left when the signal gets weaker. You took off near the red dot and all of your flight was out past the trees. You are now definitely not in direct "transmitter line of sight" especially at the altitude you were flying.
From your video there's lots of spots at the side of the road with no trees for a long distance in the direction you could fly to do your test. That was a poor location. At least the test showed your compass FC to AC orientation working.
And this suggestion solutions applies to the other 2 identical threads you have made of this same test.

Not in Transmission Line Of Sight (2).jpg

Last edited:
You are flying in a poor area to accurately test loss of signal. The water in tree leaves absorb the signal making a test invalid.
Here's a screen capture right at the end of your video clip showing where you took off from. You headed straight out between some trees and continued in that general direction but then turned left when the signal gets weaker. You took off near the red dot and all of your flight was out past the trees. You are now definitely not in direct "transmitter line of sight" especially at the altitude you were flying.
From your video there's lots of spots at the side of the road with no trees for a long distance in the direction you could fly to do your test. That was a poor location. At least the test showed your compass FC to AC orientation working.

View attachment 150229
Wrong, for most of the first half of the test and also when the disconnects happened, I had a clear line of sight to the drone. On the left side of that picture before it's cut off you'll notice theres an opening and no more trees, that's the path I took the drone down initially. You can see this very clearly at the start of the video.

Also the compass was not working correctly for most of the flight especially at the start.

Not to mention there's videos of people flying the mini 2 in worse locations than this without any issues

There's also a guy that tested the mini 3 in Philly from inside an alley and got like 11000ft distance

There's clearly something wrong with this $1000 toy, and people like you downplaying the issue gives DJI reason to ignore it.

1655442887504.png

Reactions: Faster
Highlighted where I was in this picture when the disconnect happened, obviously it's hard to see clearly from this distance but that was the opening in the trees that I was pointing at the drone from. Clear LOS

You can use those two white greenhouse buildings in the previous picture as reference.

Attachments

• sig.png
    sig.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
You should probably just cut your loses and return it, wherever the issue lies the product clearly isn't meeting your satisfaction. I'm relatively happy with mine so far as it appears to perform on par with most of the other DJI craft I've flown so I'm keeping mine.

You should probably just cut your loses and return it, wherever the issue lies the product clearly isn't meeting your satisfaction. I'm relatively happy with mine so far as it appears to perform on par with most of the other DJI craft I've flown so I'm keeping mine.
Yeah I will likely get DJI to replace it tomorrow, when I'll get the replacement, who knows probably late August at this rate. Shame because I REALLY liked everything else about this drone.

Might just return it and get the Mini 2 not sure

Yeah I will likely get DJI to replace it tomorrow, when I'll get the replacement, who knows probably late August at this rate. Shame because I REALLY liked everything else about this drone.

Might just return it and get the Mini 2 not sure
Mini 2 is cheaper and lots of great deals on clearance stock for sure.

It's such a dumb position to be in, I'm completely fine with paying the premium price for the mini 3 pro, but not when its under-performing compared to the previous gen

Literally just give me what I pay for thats all I ask lol
I understand, if you've got an RC-N1 lying around perhaps test with that, and if its any better, perhaps return what you got and purchase the cheaper kit?

I don't love that it turns off the wifi. I'm concerned if I'm connected via hotspot on a bad signal and the map doesn't download in time. Having the wifi on makes sure I know where the hell the drone is if I lose VLOS.
Exactly.
That is also kind of ridiculous if you need to unlock for a specific DJI zone (although probably not needed legally in your country), how is that supposed to work then, if you have no Internet connection ready?

It's such a dumb position to be in, I'm completely fine with paying the premium price for the mini 3 pro, but not when its under-performing compared to the previous gen

Literally just give me what I pay for thats all I ask lol
Honestly, if you can't bear the signal and somehow I have the feeling you are now fully persist on this behaviour, I would really change to another model.

@EyesWideShut told you and I from another video, that parts of your "tests" do interfere with the surrounding trees, especially, if you descend to something like below 30 m. And about the compass: did you recalibrate it, both the drone and the RC one?

I do say that the transmission is sensible for proper alignment and blocking objects, probably a bit more than previous drones. That might not only derive from the RC but also how the antennae in the drone itself are designed and placed. But mate, every place is different, you can't compare some "guy's location who got 11,000 something, something feet of distance" with your case. And while a long distance often correlates with a proper signal, signal strength and signal quality are more complex.

Maybe your drone/controller is faulty, maybe your area is prone to a lot of interference, we simply don't know. A more valid test would be, if you have a 2nd drone on your side, like the Mini 2, and fly at the same location, with the same settings in closely the same time. Maybe you have a friend with whom you can do that.

I really hope you can sort it out but your tests only show, that given on your locations, the transmission is weaker but not necessarily bad for all the accessory phenomenona we don't know.

Reach out to DJI. ;)
Hope you will soon be a happy flyer!

Last edited:
Exactly.
That is also kind of ridiculous if you need to unlock for a specific DJI zone (although probably not needed legally in your country), how is that supposed to work then, if you have no Internet connection ready?
It all can be re-enabled once the pop-up appears. It would just be nice to have a "don't show/do this again" option.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Yeah, it's not a dealbreaker but certainly somehow half-baked if you just cut an active connection in my opinion.
I think it's their "half-baked" (read initial) way of pacifying the "range issue" whilst they figure out which lot numbers are affected, if any. Just my opinion.

I think it's their "half-baked" (read initial) way of pacifying the "range issue" whilst they figure out which lot numbers are affected, if any. Just my opinion.
Its a very odd measure if true, one of the features of Ocusync is frequency hopping so even if it does get interference from the RCs WiFi, the drone should be hopping to another clean frequency and adjusting the channel width (10/20Mhz) depending on surrounding conditions.
I've left the WiFi on my RC as I want to view maps in flight and had no range issues at all. Checking on the Transmission menu I can clearly see the drone hopping frequencies as needed when encountering interference along the way, 5.8Ghz seems to be its "Goldielocks" zone.

Its a very odd measure if true, one of the features of Ocusync is frequency hopping so even if it does get interference from the RCs WiFi, the drone should be hopping to another clean frequency and adjusting the channel width (10/20Mhz) depending on surrounding conditions.
I've left the WiFi on my RC as I want to view maps in flight and had no range issues at all. Checking on the Transmission menu I can clearly see the drone hopping frequencies as needed when encountering interference along the way, 5.8Ghz seems to be its "Goldielocks" zone.
Yep, I immediately flip WiFi back on. I've had zero range issues since I received the bird.

Honestly, if you can't bear the signal and somehow I have the feeling you are now fully persist on this behaviour, I would really change to another model.

@EyesWideShut told you and I from another video, that parts of your "tests" do interfere with the surrounding trees, especially, if you descend to something like below 30 m. And about the compass: did you recalibrate it, both the drone and the RC one?

I do say that the transmission is sensible for proper alignment and blocking objects, probably a bit more than previous drones. That might not only derive from the RC but also how the antennae in the drone itself are designed and placed. But mate, every place is different, you can't compare some "guy's location who got 11,000 something, something feet of distance" with your case. And while a long distance often correlates with a proper signal, signal strength and signal quality are more complex.

Maybe your drone/controller is faulty, maybe your area is prone to a lot of interference, we simply don't know. A more valid test would be, if you have a 2nd drone on your side, like the Mini 2, and fly at the same location, with the same settings in closely the same time. Maybe you have a friend with whom you can do that.

I really hope you can sort it out but your tests only show, that given on your locations, the transmission is weaker but not necessarily bad for all the accessory phenomenona we don't know.

Reach out to DJI. ;)
Hope you will soon be a happy flyer!
Someone has already done this

Here say...objection!

DJI has improved the video transmission issues (signal hmmm meh, the jury's still out on that one)
That vid above was more than likely done before the update was rolled out being 4 days oldScreenshot_20220618_092357.png

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem