DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New flying problems w/MA2

prestonrich

Reactions
Even with decent sat connections (13 connected) the drone will lose signal out past 200’. Controller says to adjust antennas. Worse yet, when that happens, I lose total control of the right stick...it does not respond at all. Furthermore, the controller compass at bottom center of screen goes red. Any suggestions?

Sat connections have nothing to do with the drone's connection to the controller.

Are you still trying to fly your drone while you sit indoors? That isn't going to work very well.

When you say " lose signal " are you talking about just the video signal or the entire connection to the drone?

Use a camera and film your self and your remote and show us. Lots of reasons that it could be. It's for sure one of 3 problems, defective hardware, environment, like big power line next to your house, or user issue.

Sat connections have nothing to do with the drone's connection to the controller.

Are you still trying to fly your drone while you sit indoors? That isn't going to work very well.
Yes, I am. Also using an iPad Pro 10” so the iPhone holder is closed. Apparently, the antenna iPhone holder is the antenna. Using the iPad it is closed. Looks like I need to open that bracket to better expose the antenna. You Agree?

Last edited:
Yes, I am. Also using an iPad Pro 10” so the iPhone holder is closed. Apparently, the antenna iPhone holder is the antenna. Using the iPad it is closed. Looks like I need to open that bracket to better expose the antenna. Agree? You

Yes, that is the antenna and it needs to be pointed in the direction of the drone while flying for the best signal quality.

It's also not legal in the USA to fly the drone outside of your visual line of sight. (so staying indoors and just looking at your screen isn't allowed)

Reactions: old man mavic
i feel that i need to say something about the way you are flying your drone from inside your dwelling
i do not want to offend you in any way ,but what you are trying to do is as others have said not really the way the rules allow
i can understand as a 73 year old myself that you are feeling the cold ,and probably like me are not as mobile as you used to be
as far as the signal issues you are having ,the actual antennas are in the top of the expanding device holder and to get a good connection those top surfaces need to be pointing towards the drone at all times,also because you are indoors the signal is being absorbed by your surroundings
i hope you can find a way to fly your drone outside and keep the antennas pointing in the right direction
i did read your original thread, and did not feel i should post anything about your flying then ,but after reading this one ,it would be remiss of me not to respond

i feel that i need to say something about the way you are flying your drone from inside your dwelling
i do not want to offend you in any way ,but what you are trying to do is as others have said not really the way the rules allow
i can understand as a 73 year old myself that you are feeling the cold ,and probably like me are not as mobile as you used to be
as far as the signal issues you are having ,the actual antennas are in the top of the expanding device holder and to get a good connection those top surfaces need to be pointing towards the drone at all times,also because you are indoors the signal is being absorbed by your surroundings
i hope you can find a way to fly your drone outside and keep the antennas pointing in the right direction
i to read your original thread, and did not feel i should post anything about your flying then ,but after reading this one ,it would be remiss of me not to respond
Thanks for your candor.

Reactions: old man mavic
I would suggest you to try again using a smartphone to see if the range problem was due to the ipad blocking the signal.

As long as there is no obstacles between the RC and the drone, flying with the RC inside is no problem at all. Just make sure that there is no magnetic interference where the drone is powered on or disaster can happen right after the drone is outside and GPS fix is acquired.

This guy did it well :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
how can pilots take the drone out to 5 miles distant w/no loss of signal. What is their secret?
No secret at all. Connection could be maintained because there was no obstacles between the controller and the drone, just air. Under such condition, more than 10 miles out is no problem.

Last edited:
Does the RC always need to be in clear view of the drone to avoid signal loss? If yes, how can pilots take the drone out to 5 miles distant w/no loss of signal. What is their secret?
As just said clear view doesn't mean "You" can see it, it means clear path for transmission signal to and from aircraft. ;) IF up at around 300' in most cases a clear shot to your aircraft by radio signal is a safe bet. :) Most long range videos are flat land or out to sea anyway..not something you need to be concerned with I suggest at this juncture :) The answer to your first part is a SOLID YES!

In the flights below I am flying anti-clockwise at 120 m. The tress to the east of the oval obscure the LOS. First flight no loss of signal. Second flight loss of signal and emergency return home at point of obscuring LOS. I guess the difference is the distance from home B025A109-384C-44AA-A2A0-C6729C0BF6A2.png65D7D3E4-BCF2-441D-A613-4C6F4B41F45E.pngwhich was about double on the second flight. Any comments?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone