Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

New Idea Maybe

Reaction score
I have a idea that I am toying with regarding attaining the longest straight line distance for a MP/ MA.

Does anyone know what a control handoff is? The idea is for a pilot to remotely handover control of a drone to another while in flight and return control back to the originator. Of course this will/ can be a coordinated effort between a few people.

I am pretty sure this isn't a thing in sUAS circles, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried? If so what were the results? (Flight time, distance, etc)

RayOZ

Reaction score
I think the easiest way, have someone drive a car and you pilot the drone in the passenger seat. And since you are going 1 way, fly with a tailwind. Also, remember to reset the home point a couple of times midway, so it doesn't try to turn back.

Reaction score
Ok with that being said, I wonder how far one was actually able to flight their drone. I watch a video of a guy that flew his MP close to ten miles. Five miles out and back.

RayOZ

Reaction score
With OEM battery or a modified one? The other day, I flew 5.8km over water, with tailwind, and only used 30% battery. But on the way back, it was against the wind, so it got back with 15% battery left.
Battery drain is not linear when at lower percentages. Some drones can still be in the air for a min or two while showing 0%. Some would just drop while showing 5% before power cuts off. Be smart and don't push it. Don't assume all batteries are the same.

Reaction score
With OEM battery or a modified one? The other day, I flew 5.8km over water, with tailwind, and only used 30% battery. But on the way back, it was against the wind, so it got back with 15% battery left.
Battery drain is not linear when at lower percentages. Some drones can still be in the air for a min or two while showing 0%. Some would just drop while showing 5% before power cuts off. Be smart and don't push it. Don't assume all batteries are the same.
Battery type, not sure. The video began a few minutes and miles in to the flight. I'll try finding it and post the link.

Reaction score
Battery type, not sure. The video began a few minutes and miles in to the flight. I'll try finding it and post the link.
So I had to watch the video over, and I go a few things wrong. Distance was 9.5 miles thanks 15.2 km. And the the battery was modified.