DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPads - Brighter screens?

JoostGT3

Reactions
So today, apple announced new iPads (including a new iPad mini).
I am mostly interested in the new iPad mini, as I have used the mini 4 until now, and quite happy about it.
Does anybody know if the new iPad mini has a brighter screen than the 4? Other than that, there doesn't really seem to be a reason to upgrade.
(As far as I know, the new ones should be faster, but I never had any problem running the DJI app anyway).
Thanks in advance!
-Joost-

Reactions: Bryce steiner
So today, apple announced new iPads (including a new iPad mini).
I am mostly interested in the new iPad mini, as I have used the mini 4 until now, and quite happy about it.
Does anybody know if the new iPad mini has a brighter screen than the 4? Other than that, there doesn't really seem to be a reason to upgrade.
(As far as I know, the new ones should be faster, but I never had any problem running the DJI app anyway).
Thanks in advance!
-Joost-

A little bit. The iPad mini 4 had a 450 cdm^2 display the new one has a 500 cdm^2 display. Higher is brighter.

Reactions: JoostGT3
I was just looking for the specs on this having just seen the announcement.... did not expect it to be that much brighter - 500 beats 450, but its not 1000 or 2000.... was hoping the price on the mini would come down, but with Celluar (so that you have GPS), and even with only 64G, you;re looking at $529 USD.

You really dont' have to have cellular that I have found. If you need connected you can just use your phone as a hotspot. I too like the iPad mini 4. I do think the faster processor might be good though for when you are screen recording too.

You really dont' have to have cellular that I have found. If you need connected you can just use your phone as a hotspot. I too like the iPad mini 4. I do think the faster processor might be good though for when you are screen recording too.

I thought the tablet needed cellular to have GPS so the maps (pre-cached of course) would be correct.... does the app get the GPS data from the drone over the link and use that?

I thought the tablet needed cellular to have GPS so the maps (pre-cached of course) would be correct.... does the app get the GPS data from the drone over the link and use that?

The regular iPad doesn’t have a GPS antenna or a cell service antenna. The iPad+LTE version has both a GPS antenna and an LTE antenna. It’s easy to forget GPS and cell service are two different things but you’ll find if you put your phone into airplane mode on an airplane you can still get your location updated because airplane mode doesn’t turn off GPS.

The aircraft can give the mobile device the home point GPS cordinate even if the iPad doesn’t have internet or GPS and that’s a pretty good substitute for your location assuming you don’t go far. You wouldn’t have a way to do a “dynamic homepoint” or update the homepoint to the users position so can’t move and fly. You’d need to pre-cache maps.

Your phone could also give your regular iPad GPS info via wi-fi hotspot with internet connection. As long as the iPad is connected to the hot-spot and has internet. it can update its location. You do NOT need to pre-cache maps

Since the iPad +LTE has a GPS antenna it can update your location even if you are not connected to internet or a hot-spot. You would need to pre-cache your maps, however.

As was said before when you look at it this way the benefit to getting the iPad LTE is minimal as long as you have a phone that can be set up as a mobile-hotspot (almost all can these days.)

The regular iPad doesn’t have a GPS antenna or a cell service antenna. The iPad+LTE version has both a GPS antenna and an LTE antenna. It’s easy to forget GPS and cell service are two different things but you’ll find if you put your phone into airplane mode on an airplane you can still get your location updated because airplane mode doesn’t turn off GPS.

The aircraft can give the mobile device the home point GPS cordinate even if the iPad doesn’t have internet or GPS and that’s a pretty good substitute for your location assuming you don’t go far. You wouldn’t have a way to do a “dynamic homepoint” or update the homepoint to the users position so can’t move and fly. You’d need to pre-cache maps.

Your phone could also give your regular iPad GPS info via wi-fi hotspot with internet connection. As long as the iPad is connected to the hot-spot and has internet. it can update its location. You do NOT need to pre-cache maps

Since the iPad +LTE has a GPS antenna it can update your location even if you are not connected to internet or a hot-spot. You would need to pre-cache your maps, however.

As was said before when you look at it this way the benefit to getting the iPad LTE is minimal as long as you have a phone that can be set up as a mobile-hotspot (almost all can these days.)
Are you positive the new iPad 5 Wi-Fi version does not have GPS now? It's funny because any Android tablet I've ever had have all had GPS.

The app does get GPS data from the drone. I haven't had any issues with it. I usually fly without any wifi connected too and the maps still come up just fine. If you want the detailed satellite maps and they haven't downloaded already, just use your phone's hotspot and save the dough.

The brightness increase is 11%. I'd take a 11% increase in pay, but 500 nit brightness isn't going to cut it at high noon.
I dedicate my ip4 to the DJI Go4 app so the older chip still performs well.
At $399, I can't say that I'd be in for sure. From what I've researched; previously the screen may be inferior to the ip4 having to do with the lack or quality of glass lamination quality.

Thanks guys! I think this small increase in brightness wouldn't make too much difference... Will probably stick to the 4.

Reactions: fozzzy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS