DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Litchi user, three issues

thatswedishguy

Reactions
Hi!

I just did my first flight with Litchi today, and I experienced three issues, possible user error.

The first issue is that the map is way too large and covers too much of the frame. I can't find a way to resize it. Can it be done?

Second issue is that in waypoint mode with manual control of yaw and gimbal, the yaw rate and sensitivity is way too high. I have set it to be slow and smooth in the DJI GO app, and it works fine in normal GPS mode in the DJI app, but in Litchi it's almost as sensitive as it is in sports mode in the DJI GO app, which makes it nearly impossible to get smooth panning shots while the drone is flying a pre-programmed course. This is the entire reason I got Litchi in the first place, because DJI GO wouldn't allow me to control yaw and pitch while flying in waypoint mode.

The third issue is that I can't seem to set the directional pad to control shutter speed in manual camera mode. There's an option to increase or decrease exposure, but it controls ISO in photo mode and aperture in video mode. In the DJI GO app I have the directional pad set to control shutter speed, aperture is already on the top right dial, and I adjust ISO in the menu when needed. Can it somehow be changed to control shutter speed in manual mode and leave the other values alone? Adjusting shutter speed in the menu is too slow.

Any help appreciated.

I'm flying a DJI Mavic 2 Pro using an iPad 9.7" as my control device.

Hi!

I just did my first flight with Litchi today, and I experienced three issues, possible user error.

The first issue is that the map is way too large and covers too much of the frame. I can't find a way to resize it. Can it be done?

Second issue is that in waypoint mode with manual control of yaw and gimbal, the yaw rate and sensitivity is way too high. I have set it to be slow and smooth in the DJI GO app, and it works fine in normal GPS mode in the DJI app, but in Litchi it's almost as sensitive as it is in sports mode in the DJI GO app, which makes it nearly impossible to get smooth panning shots while the drone is flying a pre-programmed course. This is the entire reason I got Litchi in the first place, because DJI GO wouldn't allow me to control yaw and pitch while flying in waypoint mode.

The third issue is that I can't seem to set the directional pad to control shutter speed in manual camera mode. There's an option to increase or decrease exposure, but it controls ISO in photo mode and aperture in video mode. In the DJI GO app I have the directional pad set to control shutter speed, aperture is already on the top right dial, and I adjust ISO in the menu when needed. Can it somehow be changed to control shutter speed in manual mode and leave the other values alone? Adjusting shutter speed in the menu is too slow.

Any help appreciated.

I'm flying a DJI Mavic 2 Pro using an iPad 9.7" as my control device.
Others more experienced will pipe-in...
I'll make an attempt on some items...
The "Map" area... have you tried "pinching or expanding" two fingers on screen?
I normally open pre-saved mission, get craft up in air, and quickly size the map away from the video screen. I also move it L/R to assist on view. I move mission map to upper left quadrant and video in lower right corner. All that is done by screen touches... drag & pinch.

Waypoint has many features: On the actual WP icon, in settings & features, and via POI or other features interacting with WP. On areas where I want a slow yaw movement. I place a few (1-4) POI's on subject and assign properties of height & camera.
(you can place "negative" height on POI to increase gimbal angle). Then place a "transition" between Waypoints and it'll slowly move camera focus across POI's. Also if you enable "smooth curves" the WP, I think looses a few features.... again, I tend to use more WP's to smooth the path.

You mention Manual Yaw Control, I haven't played with manual only but I do think I've adjusted the Yaw slightly during WP-POI flights. The POI's give me a close camera pattern to follow, but I think I've manually adjusted in-flight too.

Directional Pad... good question, I've never used it but sounds like something to explore. I fly the Inspire 2 more with Litchi for the additional controls & camera options. Minimal with M2P.

On an "Off the Wall" Litchi comment, I did recently explore this weekend and find the Litchi "Orbit" and "Focus".... particularly the "Focus" to be much better than other similar offerings in other apps. Able to setup a Camera trigger every 2 sec, with F-stop, camera controls and degree speed. Collecting images for 3D model of structure: house, statue, etc appears to be a great option to DJI's Apps.

Others more experienced will pipe-in...
I'll make an attempt on some items...
The "Map" area... have you tried "pinching or expanding" two fingers on screen?
I normally open pre-saved mission, get craft up in air, and quickly size the map away from the video screen. I also move it L/R to assist on view. I move mission map to upper left quadrant and video in lower right corner. All that is done by screen touches... drag & pinch.

Waypoint has many features: On the actual WP icon, in settings & features, and via POI or other features interacting with WP. On areas where I want a slow yaw movement. I place a few (1-4) POI's on subject and assign properties of height & camera.
(you can place "negative" height on POI to increase gimbal angle). Then place a "transition" between Waypoints and it'll slowly move camera focus across POI's. Also if you enable "smooth curves" the WP, I think looses a few features.... again, I tend to use more WP's to smooth the path.

You mention Manual Yaw Control, I haven't played with manual only but I do think I've adjusted the Yaw slightly during WP-POI flights. The POI's give me a close camera pattern to follow, but I think I've manually adjusted in-flight too.

Directional Pad... good question, I've never used it but sounds like something to explore. I fly the Inspire 2 more with Litchi for the additional controls & camera options. Minimal with M2P.

On an "Off the Wall" Litchi comment, I did recently explore this weekend and find the Litchi "Orbit" and "Focus".... particularly the "Focus" to be much better than other similar offerings in other apps. Able to setup a Camera trigger every 2 sec, with F-stop, camera controls and degree speed. Collecting images for 3D model of structure: house, statue, etc appears to be a great option to DJI's Apps.

I have tried pinching, expanding and dragging with two fingers and it does nothing. It sounds like it should do something, so that's weird.

I know I can set many waypoints, and have the camera movements pre-programmed but I find that it's limiting do set camera movements in advance. I then have to know or estimate the height or angle where I want to center my camera and that could take a couple of tries to get right. I much prefer to run the camera manually in real time for flexible and advanced maneuvers. If I had another person we could split the tasks of flying and controlling the camera, but I need a single operator solution, which I though Litchi would be. And it would, if I could just get the yaw sensitivity and rate to match P mode in DJI GO.

The problem right now is that when my drone is moving for example east to west and I want to pan on something to the south, and I give a little bit of left input on the right stick, it yaws a lot. Just moving the stick a millimeter or so causes a big movement, so starting and stopping a pan smoothly just isn't going to happen, and keeping a smooth panning rate is really difficult.

An Inspire with the DJI Cendence remote would be nice, but for now I have to get the most out of my Mavic 2 Pro ?

Thank you for your input. I have to keep trying to resize and move the map I guess. Maybe I should contact the Litchi devs about the yaw issue.

Now that you mention it, I do think there is a variable that you can toggle on & off that makes the screen sensitive to touch or movement. I do recall I accidentally got into it once and couldn't move my mission or scale it down... then toggled that option and it moved & scaled again. Not saying that's the problem... just something to check.

Not much help for your camera movement. And yes, most of my events take a few tuning flights to obtain the one I'll save and reuse. The multiple POI's placed along your route don't help ya? You basically want cable cruise for drone and you manually run camera.

Now that you mention it, I do think there is a variable that you can toggle on & off that makes the screen sensitive to touch or movement. I do recall I accidentally got into it once and couldn't move my mission or scale it down... then toggled that option and it moved & scaled again. Not saying that's the problem... just something to check.

Not much help for your camera movement. And yes, most of my events take a few tuning flights to obtain the one I'll save and reuse. The multiple POI's placed along your route don't help ya? You basically want cable cruise for drone and you manually run camera.

I tried again to resize and move the map but nothing. Couldn't find a setting for it either.

Yes, I do want to basically have cable cruise mostly just from one point to another, probably with a climb or descent while I control the camera. I can be done manually, but since I have to turn the drone, move the gimbal and keep everything smooth it's just a little too much to do while also keeping an eye out for obstacles.
Something I found out was that in waypoint mode it did behave as I wanted it to, with a slow and smooth yaw response, until I actually started the mission. Then it became too sensitive and fast. Possibly a bug to be reported there.

Just for grins... I installed on my Note8, logged into acct and pulled a WP mission from file. The pinch & zoom and drag worked. I looked for a way to lock, couldn't find.

But to clarify... this is when map mission is primary and video window small in lower Rt Corner?

Had a thought, are you swapping map mission into small corner window? If you swap map & video before resizing Map in primary window, you can not resize in the smaller window.

I'll have to bow out, I can't duplicate it and unable to see a variable that effects this behavior. Might try removing and reinstalling the App.

I assume this is on supported hardware.
Good Luck!

I can move and scale the actual map in full screen, but I can't resize the map window in the lower right corner. That is what I want to do. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about that. The window is covering too much of the frame. About 1/10 of the frame. I'd like it to be about half as big. I need the map to make sure I'm keeping a safe distance from things around, but I can easily do that with a smaller map size, like it is in DJI GO.

IMG_0035.PNG

I can move and scale the actual map in full screen, but I can't resize the map window in the lower right corner. That is what I want to do. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about that. The window is covering too much of the frame. About 1/10 of the frame. I'd like it to be about half as big. I need the map to make sure I'm keeping a safe distance from things around, but I can easily do that with a smaller map size, like it is in DJI GO.

View attachment 99238
Bingo... that helps.
You are correct, there is no adjustment for the corner window, or for window size (to my knowledge).
Maps Made Easy, the 2nd Window has two sizes... but I've not seen a option to change Window size or scroll the image within the 2nd Windows... it's basically a display screen. If there was a option to resize, that would be within the Setup Config Options... out of curiosity, I'll take a look too.

Yep, as you've founds... Map is sized up and scaled on primary, then toggled to 2nd smaller window if needed.
I use a 10.5 iPad Pro, so I run the video on the smaller since I can see it nicely.
All controls - mission or camera are via the primary window.

That's too bad. I had really high hopes for Litchi but so far it hasn't lived up to them unfortunately. It's great for fullt automated flights, much better than DJI GO. I just wish semi manual flights worked better. I've contacted litchi about the yaw sensitivity glitch, hopefully they will reply.

Thanks for you help!

That's too bad. I had really high hopes for Litchi but so far it hasn't lived up to them unfortunately. It's great for fullt automated flights, much better than DJI GO. I just wish semi manual flights worked better. I've contacted litchi about the yaw sensitivity glitch, hopefully they will reply.

Thanks for you help!
Are you familiar with:
The Litchi app handbook for Android V2-1531334402122.pdf (also an ios or combined versions)
and
Litchi Notes Rev2.pdf (free)

Last edited:
Are you familiar with:
The Litchi app handbook for Android V2-1531334402122.pdf (also an ios or combined versions)
and
Litchi Notes Rev2.pdf (free)

I am not. I'm not interested in paying for a handbook for something that should be obvious or at least easy to figure out. The second one at a first glance looks like the same information that is available on the Litchi website in the user guide section. It doesn't mention anything about the issues I'm having. It was the first thing I checked.

Thanks for the recommendations though Thumbswayup:)

The information Laurence provides in his material is pretty good. Yes, covers same as Litchi guide although adds more depth in multiple formats... I tend to enjoy the visual aids. And on that, I think he may have been directly involved in both resources. He’s also a great resource via email too.

All good, just depends on what path works best.
Many enjoy the hundreds of free YouTubes too!
Good luck on your solution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121