DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New M3P Binding to RC Pro problems and solution

Chrislaf

Reactions
I recently purchased a M3P (drone only package) and planned to bind it to my RC Pro. I use my RC Pro with my Mavic 3 and it is updated with all the relevant firmware so I didn't expect to have any problems with my M3P. I was wrong!!!

When I tried to bind to the controller following all the normal steps it would not work - it kept timing out. I figured that there was some sort of firmware mismatch but was having trouble being able to update the drone. I looked online and there was a suggestion in a DJI forum to try through Assistant 2 (latest version compatible with M3P) so I tried it BUT the problem was that my laptop is an older MacBook Pro with USB 2 ports and the Mini 3 has USB 3 and even with the USB 2 to USB 3 cable that came with my Mavic 3, the firmware update would start but would eventually fail because it couldn't maintain a fast enough connection, so I was stuck with no other current computer (with USB3 ports) to try.

My next step was to chat with DJI support. Although they were helpful, they had me do the exact same things, I had already done so I was back to where I was. While on the chat I thought about using my RC-N1 controller that I originally got with my Mavic 3 - bind the M3P with the RC-N1, do the updates to the M3P, then re-bind to the RC Pro. Once I did this everything worked and my RC Pro is now bound to my M3P.

I had been considering selling my RC-N1 prior to my purchase of the M3P - sure glad I didn't. I can't help think what I would have done if I didn't have the RC-N1 controller on hand. Just thought I'd post this in case other people end up in the same situation because not everyone has the latest and greatest laptop or computer, so this might be good to know.

Chris

One of the other problems I had that I just resolved, was that my Care Refresh was not showing up in the Value-Added service section of Device Management on my account. My Mavic 3 was there, but not the Mini 3 Pro even though I had activated the Refresh and had got a confirmation email from DJI indicating that the Plan was active. In order to claim Fly-Away coverage if ever needed, it must be bound to the controller you are flying with otherwise DJI may not honour the Fly-Away coverage if you can't recover the drone.

Again, I had to contact DJI support through the chat line and they were helpful and I even got two phone calls from them trying to figure out why my drones Care Refresh was not appearing on my account. The case got escalated to an engineering team and I got an email this evening about binding and unbinding a drone from a controller and what to do if you buy a used drone, but I think the support person was confusing my original issue I had with binding the controller which I had since solved.

I decided to fire up my RC Pro and my Mini 3 again as I had done numerous times before, but this time there was a prompt for a firmware update which I installed. It was not a normal firmware update because both my RC Pro and Mini 3 had their Firmware updated a couple of days ago and this new firmware took a couple of seconds on the controller and was done. After that, my Mini 3 appeared in the Value-Added service tab and I was able to bind it with the controller and then all the details about the Care Refresh plan appeared including the indication that Fly-Away coverage was active.

The puzzling thing to me is why it took so long for the firmware update to appear so that the RC Pro could be updated to recognize the Care Refresh on the Mini 3. My RC Pro and Mini 3 have be on numerous times since I got it 4 days ago.

Not sure how many people are aware but in order to claim Fly-Away coverage should you lose your drone, it needs to be bound to your account and the controller you are using. You can check this buy choosing Profile>Device Management>Value-Added Service. If you have more than one drone on the Refresh program you will get an option to choose which drone.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Kilboar
I recently purchased a M3P (drone only package) and planned to bind it to my RC Pro. I use my RC Pro with my Mavic 3 and it is updated with all the relevant firmware so I didn't expect to have any problems with my M3P. I was wrong!!!

When I tried to bind to the controller following all the normal steps it would not work - it kept timing out. I figured that there was some sort of firmware mismatch but was having trouble being able to update the drone. I looked online and there was a suggestion in a DJI forum to try through Assistant 2 (latest version compatible with M3P) so I tried it BUT the problem was that my laptop is an older MacBook Pro with USB 2 ports and the Mini 3 has USB 3 and even with the USB 2 to USB 3 cable that came with my Mavic 3, the firmware update would start but would eventually fail because it couldn't maintain a fast enough connection, so I was stuck with no other current computer (with USB3 ports) to try.

My next step was to chat with DJI support. Although they were helpful, they had me do the exact same things, I had already done so I was back to where I was. While on the chat I thought about using my RC-N1 controller that I originally got with my Mavic 3 - bind the M3P with the RC-N1, do the updates to the M3P, then re-bind to the RC Pro. Once I did this everything worked and my RC Pro is now bound to my M3P.

I had been considering selling my RC-N1 prior to my purchase of the M3P - sure glad I didn't. I can't help think what I would have done if I didn't have the RC-N1 controller on hand. Just thought I'd post this in case other people end up in the same situation because not everyone has the latest and greatest laptop or computer, so this might be good to know.

Chris
That was very helpful
It’s always good to have a back up . I was getting ready to sell my RC-N1 because I bought an RCPRO. But I think I’ll keep it around.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas