DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 Pro pilot wanting bottom line opinions on goggles

Brockrock

Reactions
So, I'm not new to DJI UAV's, but I am new to a recently acquired, Mavic 2 Pro.

One of the things that I imagine, is taking family/friends for a droning session. They wear the RE Goggles, and I watch my iPad, and I take them for a flight. I understand the limitations for some folks who require corrective lenses - which I am one - and what the options are there, and I understand how to update the firmware and whatnot. My question is, for folks with actual experience, are there still limitations regarding the functionality of RE goggles paired with the M2P, or do they work well? I read about distance issues and connectivity issues, and I would really like to hear from folks who use this setup and what their experience has been.

Cheers!

One of the things that I imagine, is taking family/friends for a droning session. They wear the RE Goggles, and I watch my iPad, and I take them for a flight. I understand the limitations for some folks who require corrective lenses - which I am one - and what the options are there, and I understand how to update the firmware and whatnot. My question is, for folks with actual experience, are there still limitations regarding the functionality of RE goggles paired with the M2P, or do they work well? I read about distance issues and connectivity issues, and I would really like to hear from folks who use this setup and what their experience has been.

Cheers!

The distance issue has been fixed with the latest update. It’s still bed the SAE range as the remote but it’s way better.

As far as wearing glasses it just depends on how big your glasses are. It would seem to me there’s plenty of room but I wear contacts not glasses so I don’t really know

Cheers!
I do all my flying with the RE goggles usually of the coast clear line of site I have 1080p reception to goggles until low battery RTH kicks in normally about 5/6km low battery is set at 30% I never really experienced the distance problems others had but do believe it has been sorted out in latest firmware update. I also wear 2.5 reading glasses under the goggles no problem. All telemetry is displayed also home point and air craft orientation. A great addition to your setup. Just my opinion safe flying.

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate the info.

I have loved the idea of these goggles for years now, but paired with the P4 original, it was them or my iPad, and it just was not worth it to me. Now, with the M2P, and the option to 'take someone else for a flight', it is worth it.

I guess if I buy them, I better buy another folding lawn chair as well...

I’ll be the odd man out here. So far foe me the range SUX!

It has been reported that the issue has been corrected but the same guy giving yhat report said he could only get 2,700 ft before it crapped out. To me that is not acceptable period. I’m still waiting on DJI to actually correct the issue or just come out and admit they screwed us all and yhe goggles will never work beyond a short range. jes my .02

Is it just me, because the thought of wearing a white brick on my face just makes me cringe, I just would feel a total wally wearing them

Love the idea of fpv but the huge size of the DJI Google’s just puts me off

TR: 2783 was me. no good weather yet to retry on FLAT LAND, as that
flight was my house in a valley, up over trees and houses. RC antennas
did not, at that time, have a direct VISUAL connection. More later.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Is it just me, because the thought of wearing a white brick on my face just makes me cringe, I just would feel a total wally wearing them

Love the idea of fpv but the huge size of the DJI Google’s just puts me off
Then try the Epson Moverio BT-300 HUD glasses if you want to see other options to the bulky "white brick".

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks everybody. I appreciate the observations.

Looking into it now, torn between them and the 35e - need to know more, ideally 300’s with 35e interface box, all hinges if it can be bought separately
Interesting conundrum you have there. I own the BT-300 myself and am very pleased with them, albeit the initial set-up with putting in passwords etc is a pig, unless one uses a mouse and keyboard (search the forum for previous discussions of this issue for other's ideas on how to get round the extremely fiddly problem of passwords when using the onboard keypad). I took a cursory look at the BT 35e after I'd already purchased the BT-300 and they look even more interesting with I understand the ability to interface with a CrystalSky monitor if you really want to go to town! You wear the BT-35e while other folks can look at the CrystalSky monitor via the interface unit for a pilot's eye view. Might need to take out a second mortgage on your house though to afford all that kit!

Cheers!
Further to my response to TonyMpro, the Epson Moverio BT-300 & the BT-35e HUD glasses have the option for you to wear either your own glasses or have an included lens holder which can be inserted inside the equipment, ground to your own prescription. In the case of my own BT-300's, my lenses are bi-focal so I can see the RC screen pin sharp, as well as for distance vision the HUD display in the glasses and also VLOS around the periphery of the glasses to see one's bird. If one went for the BT-35e option, I understand it claims the ability, using the interface unit, to connect at the same time to an Android tablet/phone or CrystalSky, while one or more of your family/friends look at the monitor and you wear the Moverio, everybody getting a pilot's eye view. I do know that a Chinese student (who's doing a thesis on drones for his university course at nearby Nottingham) visited our drone club here in Leicester UK last week and was mightily impressed with the aerial view that I let him see through my BT-300's over the River Wreake and several small lakes with attendant sailing boats which make interesting viewing nearby.

I just found this thread and I had your concerns regarding using reading glasses. I also use 2.5 reading glasses under the goggles. I actually could see without my reading glasses but it was marginal. I had other problems such as a lack of written instructions instead of YouTubes as I just wrote in another thread.

I fly mostly with DJI goggles and really like the feeling of being there. Other than the convenience I can't understand why anyone would prefer to fly looking at a tiny 5" screen. I have a real hard time figuring out how close things are or even where I am if I am flying a long ways out with a phone. I also use a I pad air full sized which is nice. Yes, they look weird, but I don't fly where there are many people around anyway. If there are people around I use the I pad air.

The main problem I have fought is older eyes. mid 50's and I need reading glasses. The glasses interfere with the light seal, so I finally took off the ear parts and mounted them inside the goggles with craft foam. Now the display is razor sharp and nice and dark.

The other cool thing with the DJI goggles is the head controlled gimbal, it makes the field of view feel bigger as I can just glance one way or the other to see things at the edge of the view. Keeping track of where the drone is pointed though can be tricky as the little orientation marker is easy to lose.

Another thought is that if your app crashes, you have a backup in the goggles

Reactions: MikeMauk
Really want to try the googles too. Maybe I will just buy them. Only issue I have is how GIGANTIC they are.

I fly mostly with DJI goggles and really like the feeling of being there. Other than the convenience I can't understand why anyone would prefer to fly looking at a tiny 5" screen. I have a real hard time figuring out how close things are or even where I am if I am flying a long ways out with a phone. I also use a I pad air full sized which is nice. Yes, they look weird, but I don't fly where there are many people around anyway. If there are people around I use the I pad air.

The main problem I have fought is older eyes. mid 50's and I need reading glasses. The glasses interfere with the light seal, so I finally took off the ear parts and mounted them inside the goggles with craft foam. Now the display is razor sharp and nice and dark.

The other cool thing with the DJI goggles is the head controlled gimbal, it makes the field of view feel bigger as I can just glance one way or the other to see things at the edge of the view. Keeping track of where the drone is pointed though can be tricky as the little orientation marker is easy to lose.

Another thought is that if your app crashes, you have a backup in the goggles
so are you using the regular dji goggles and what drone? I have the mavic 2 zoon -new and want the regular goggles. have they fixed the range issue? I really want them for the head track

I too bought the Mavic Pro 2 and the RE goggles package deal. I wouldn’t get the goggles again. The range is still crap even after the updates . Just came back from a flying session. I’m using a wooded valley and follow a straight railroad track directly below. Straight out, straight back. With the remote alone I turn the drone around at 5000 ft distance. I’m at 390 ft for a good line of line of sight.
With the goggles I lose signal at 250 meters (820 feet) or less. Multiple flights up the track and back again. Fairly typical as I have flown this RR valley a number of times with the same results.
If you use the goggles to fly the backyard you should be okay. They do work great connected to a laptop via HDMI to review footage.

How recent did you purchase the package? I read in one thread that someone thought it was still an issue with the newer production remotes. I'm curious when you purchased to get an idea of the time frame on these packages that are still having issues.

Mid April from B&H. Learning and testing has been slow as I only get to play with the drone two weekends a month. My home is rural but my job is in another city and I Iive in the downtown there

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka