DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini 3 lens hood arrived

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
The lens hood for my Mini 3 arrived today. Yeah, ugly, I know. It comes in gray, but I don't want anything that could potentially reflect into the lens anywhere near the camera, so I chose black. For those weight conscious, it's 15 grams. If you use leg extensions, you may have to figure out which goes on first, the leg extensions or the hood. I've got two different types of leg extensions. With the mini folding legs/strap-on the hood goes on first. With the "skid" type of extensions, the skid goes on first. But they both work.

Why did I get the lens hood? Because if I do run into something face-first I don't want the camera/gimbal to be the first thing that makes contact. The hood will protect it somewhat from the intial impact as other lens hoods on my Mini 1 and Mini 2.

As a note, unless you modify the lens hood it does not allow for the full tilt upward of the camera. I'm not sure about vertical shooting as I haven't tested it and (personally) detest vertical videos. Why didn't anyone train Instagrammers to shoot video horizontally?????

That's all I got for now.

1660512248250.png

1660512364406.png1660512402149.png
1660512652134.png

@vindibona1 ,if adding all that weight to your Mini 3 makes you happy ,then great thats your choice ,but for me personally ,its just defeating the whole idea of a Mini drone
i also moved your post to the Mini 3 forum ,it was in the mavic 3 forum

Wow, that is a lot of bulk. I will give this a hard no.

I like it...as an option and a tool to have in the bag. For example, if I'm flying indoors with no GPS lock, this and/or prop guards wouldn't necessarily be a bad attachment to have. If it serves to protect damage to a tuned and balanced gimbal/camera, that's good enough for me to consider. One selects the tool for the job - not all tools fit every job (or flight).

@vindibona1 ,if adding all that weight to your Mini 3 makes you happy ,then great thats your choice ,but for me personally ,its just defeating the whole idea of a Mini drone
i also moved your post to the Mini 3 forum ,it was in the mavic 3 forum
You make a point OMM. But being in the US I'm not concerned with staying under 250 grams to keep it in a class. In fact, I ordered the Mini 3 with 1 standard battery, but the FMC+ with two "extended batteries. The regular battery weighs about 40 grams while the extended batteries weigh about 120 grams each. I can still fly naked and ultra-lite when the need arises. There is no difference in handling, even with landing gear and strobes. I have maintained all along that the FAA (and EU) should have had a carve-out up to an additional 50 grams for safety equipment (i.e. strobes and prop guards). As a side note, for about 20 grams or so, prop guards would distribute the impact in a collision in a significant way, minimizing injury or property damage far more than a 250 gram objec in an overall smaller package with no shock absorption.

There are times when a lens hood would be functionally unnecessary. But IMO it can really come in handy, as I experienced with my Mini 2 (twice). What should have been gimbal replacements was limited to a cracked hood on one occasion and only minor hull damage on the second.

I'm sure everyone has noted that the "legs" that existed on the Mini 2 have been "amputated" on the Mini3, presumably to save weight. Without any extensions you're launching essentially from the Mini 3's belly. Yes, it's better to go lighter where possible and probably adviseable in the heat so the motors and processor don't have to work so hard. But as I said earlier, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Liveing by the Boy Scout motto: "Be prepared" are not unwise words.

I presume the main objective of this lens hood is to offer some mechanical protection to the camera and gimbal? With the "roof" of earlier mavic designs gone the camera/gimbal is quite vulnerable in a head-on collision. As a hood to prevent excess light coming into the lens from the side it doesn't seem to provide any better cover than the hood of sorts that is fitted to the front of the camera. Maybe it would help a little if an ND filter is fitted instead of the "hood".

I'm not sure about vertical shooting as I haven't tested it and (personally) detest vertical videos.
It's a losing battle for old men. I'm retired cinematographer and I hated it, too, but I'm gradually accepting it. It is valuable for still images and there are (rare) circumstances where vertical video is preferable.

Blame social media and laziness. Tik Tok demands it and phones are easier to hold in vertical mode.

It's a losing battle for old men. I'm retired cinematographer and I hated it, too, but I'm gradually accepting it. It is valuable for still images and there are (rare) circumstances where vertical video is preferable.

Blame social media and laziness. Tik Tok demands it and phones are easier to hold in vertical mode.
Frankly, I don't do social media. No Facebook. No Twitter. No Tik-Tok. None of it. To quote Bobby Boucher's mother- IT'S THE DEVIL. :)

I don't even watch much TV any more as almost any new program or movie has unabashed and deliberate "woke culture" inserted into it, much of far outside of traditional norms, often distrurbing. No thank you.

Sorry to get off track.

Frankly, I don't do social media. No Facebook. No Twitter. No Tik-Tok. None of it. To quote Bobby Boucher's mother- IT'S THE DEVIL. :)

I don't even watch much TV any more as almost any new program or movie has unabashed and deliberate "woke culture" inserted into it, much of far outside of traditional norms, often distrurbing. No thank you.

Sorry to get off track.
Vertical Video Syndrom

Reactions: JTZ and Lister
I presume the main objective of this lens hood is to offer some mechanical protection to the camera and gimbal? With the "roof" of earlier mavic designs gone the camera/gimbal is quite vulnerable in a head-on collision. As a hood to prevent excess light coming into the lens from the side it doesn't seem to provide any better cover than the hood of sorts that is fitted to the front of the camera. Maybe it would help a little if an ND filter is fitted instead of the "hood".
I have to assume as much as well, that protection is the main advantage. Also, if you've compared the Mini 2 and Mini 3's camera, the Mini 2 has a plastic "window" that sits in front of the lens element where that window was eliminated on the Mini 3 and the "cover" in front of the lens element is a fluted piece which I would assume would to some extent function similarly to a lens hood, without a plastic window that might refract light into the lens. The filter clip-on design of the Mini 3 is definitely superior to that of the Mini 2 in several ways.

Other than weight, it seems that the real disadvantage of the lens hood is that it limits the upward camera tilt that is designed into the Mini 3. But I suppose if you're going to need that extra upward tilt you'd know it ahead of time and refrain from installing the hood.

I suppose if you're flying up high, away from objects there is little advantage to the lens hood. But it may come in handy, especially if you're using active track and the obstacle avoidance fails and the drone gets confused and goes face-first into an object.

Count me a skeptic.

Except for straight on impact with a flat surface, the protection seems very dubious. Crashing into anything with an uneven surface and/or hard projections (like tree branches), the hood will be of limited help at best.

Every crash I've ever had has been a tree. I haven't slammed head on into a wall, ever.

Count me a skeptic.

Except for straight on impact with a flat surface, the protection seems very dubious. Crashing into anything with an uneven surface and/or hard projections (like tree branches), the hood will be of limited help at best.

Every crash I've ever had has been a tree. I haven't slammed head on into a wall, ever.
I'd agree that the amount of protection it offers is limited. Its not something I would fit to my drone, nor are the legs. But, everyone has their own preferences and ways of working, and that's partly what makes this hobby interesting - seeing how other pilots do their thing.

I'd agree that the amount of protection it offers is limited. Its not something I would fit to my drone, nor are the legs. But, everyone has their own preferences and ways of working, and that's partly what makes this hobby interesting - seeing how other pilots do their thing.
Of course!

I wasn't criticizing... just adding my thoughts based on my experience crashing 😁

Reactions: scro
The lens hood for my Mini 3 arrived today. Yeah, ugly, I know. It comes in gray, but I don't want anything that could potentially reflect into the lens anywhere near the camera, so I chose black. For those weight conscious, it's 15 grams. If you use leg extensions, you may have to figure out which goes on first, the leg extensions or the hood. I've got two different types of leg extensions. With the mini folding legs/strap-on the hood goes on first. With the "skid" type of extensions, the skid goes on first. But they both work.

Why did I get the lens hood? Because if I do run into something face-first I don't want the camera/gimbal to be the first thing that makes contact. The hood will protect it somewhat from the intial impact as other lens hoods on my Mini 1 and Mini 2.

As a note, unless you modify the lens hood it does not allow for the full tilt upward of the camera. I'm not sure about vertical shooting as I haven't tested it and (personally) detest vertical videos. Why didn't anyone train Instagrammers to shoot video horizontally?????

That's all I got for now.

View attachment 153313

View attachment 153314View attachment 153315
View attachment 153316
hi,
what are those two attached in the front arms?
thanks

hi,
what are those two attached in the front arms?
thanks
Vifly strobes, attached with clear elastic head bands. I always fly with strobes to help keep visual contact at further distances.

To elaborate on the bands. The hair bands are very secure, but because the front arms now rotate when folded the bands all the strobes to be also rotated so they are facing downward when packing so I don’t have to remove them when putting the drone in the case. I started using the bands on my other drones when I lost two ARC V strobes attached with Velcro only.

Reactions: geolouk
Other than - you're right, it is ugly - I doubt if this is of any good. A real lens hood typically stretches much longer, and is shaped to align with the lens's field of view. As can be seen in your pictures, this add on most likely won't help with sun glares. As for hitting into things: Well, that's what the front facing obstacle avoidance are for. And in the unfortunate event of drone falling of the sky, well.. I don't think this will be of any help.

The whole point with a mini drone, is that it is light and quick to deploy. Adding those legs and that.. "hood wannabe", just puts on more weight to the drone (which translates to less flying time) and make it cumbersome to both deploy and repack. There's really no need for any add on to the drone, other than an ND/CPL - when flying low, and a strobe light when flying at night. Nothing you put on it will make it fly any better. In fact: the opposite is the true.

You should have purchased an Air 2S…looks like you’ve added so many add ons you have far exceeded 250g. BTW, I noticed your cooling vents are now obstructed by Velcro on the bottom of the body…be aware of over temp 🔥. Personally, I can’t say, that, I’m a big fan of these add ons. It’s overkill of what is a very well designed piece of technology. JMO
🇨🇦🧐

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman