DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini 3 Pro - picture not straight..

Marc Hufnagel

Reactions
Look at the water tower and some other items that are definitely straight in real life - like some buildings. This picture does NOT look like this on my air 2s. Bad lens or ?? Anything much out of the center to the left or right is just simply not straight.
DJI_0006.JPG

Try calibrating your ginbal in the app,

Look at the water tower and some other items that are definitely straight in real life - like some buildings. This picture does NOT look like this on my air 2s. Bad lens or ?? Anything much out of the center to the left or right is just simply not straight.
There's nothing wrong with your camera and calibrating won't make any difference
This is what happens when you shoot with a wideangle lens and have the camera pointing up or down.
Have the camera pointing straight out, parallel with the horizon and your verticals will be vertical.
But if you tilt the camera down the verticals will look like they are falling in towards the centre, or outwards if the camera is looking upwards.

If you had ever photographed with an ultrawide angle lens, e.g., 16-30 mm, you would be used to this distortion, which is easily fixed in Lightroom, Photoshop or any number of other photo editors.

Never read he was using a wide angle lens or is that the norm..
I have the same model and don’t have that issue.
What did I miss 🤷‍♂️

This is "perspective distortion" and is nothing to do with the lens.
An example is when you photograph the front of a building with a camera where the sensor/film is parallel to the building's facia, it looks square.
But if you tilt the camera back to see further up the building, suddenly the sides of the building seem to lean in towards each other.
The same thing applies when you rotate the camera from side to side (but this time affecting "horizontals"). The concept of a "vanishing point" comes in.

So when the gimbal is at 0˚ (assuming it's calibrated correctly) any "verticals" in the image should be vertical. If you tilt the gimbal down then they will start to lean out towards the sides (although a vertical in the centre of the frame will remain vertical).

The main thing that calibrating a drone gimbal does is reset "horizontal". The horizon here looks reasonably horizontal, so I doubt that's the issue. But it's up towards the top of the frame, so the camera is tilted downwards, and perspective distortion will result.

If you position the camera similarly with any drone I would expect the same effect.

I'm just using the lens it came with and it was pretty much pointing straight out.
It wasn't.
Your shot was composed with the horizon high in the frame, so the camera was pointing a little downward.
See for yourself by taking a few shots of a scene with a lot of verticals.
Shoot the same scene with the horizon low in the frame, with it centred and with a high horizon and compare.

It is as said, quite normal. The effect is called "parallax error," and is common throughout photography, not just drone photography.

It is as said, quite normal. The effect is called "parallax error," and is common throughout photography, not just drone photography.
Not quite right.
A parallax error is the apparent shift in an object's position as it is viewed from different angles. For example the error is most easily noticed by looking at a nearby object with one eye closed, then looking at it through the other eye. It seems like the object has moved its position.

Not quite right.
A parallax error is the apparent shift in an object's position as it is viewed from different angles. For example the error is most easily noticed by looking at a nearby object with one eye closed, then looking at it through the other eye. It seems like the object has moved its position.

Yes, WookieePilot was correct: This is an example of "perspective distortion," caused by a lens with an angle of view that is different from what our eyes are accustomed to. Telephoto lens also have a perspective distortion, but it flattens apparent depth rather than exaggerate it like a wide-angle lens.

Reactions: Elthree
Yes, WookieePilot was correct: This is an example of "perspective distortion," caused by a lens with an angle of view that is different from what our eyes are accustomed to. Telephoto lens also have a perspective distortion, but it flattens apparent depth rather than exaggerate it like a wide-angle lens.
Is is absolutely photographic Parallax. Parallax is defined differently for different disciplines and what you have described is visual parallax determined by our stereoscopic vision of using two eyes. If you look at this website with the different disciplines Parallax Definitions for Land Surveyors - Learn CST - you will see this definition for "photogrammetry paralax" QUOTE = parallax, y [PHOTOGRAMMETRY] The difference between the perpendicular distances of two images of a point from the vertical plane containing the air base The existence of y parallax is an indication of tilt in either or both photographs and/or a difference in flight height; it interferes with stereoscopic examination of the pair. UNQUOTE

I'm just using the lens it came with and it was pretty much pointing straight out.
If you intend to fix the distortion in an editing program it's best to have some more of the area around your subject in the photo so that when correcting for distortion the area you want in your photo doesn't get eliminated by the correction.A before+after attached to illustrate what is lost.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 13
Is is absolutely photographic Parallax. Parallax is defined differently for different disciplines and what you have described is visual parallax determined by our stereoscopic vision of using two eyes. If you look at this website with the different disciplines Parallax Definitions for Land Surveyors - Learn CST - you will see this definition for "photogrammetry paralax" QUOTE = parallax, y [PHOTOGRAMMETRY] The difference between the perpendicular distances of two images of a point from the vertical plane containing the air base The existence of y parallax is an indication of tilt in either or both photographs and/or a difference in flight height; it interferes with stereoscopic examination of the pair. UNQUOTE

View attachment 155795
I'd be more conserned about the softness on the right side of your frame compared to the left. That's a de-centered lens.

There's nothing wrong with your camera and calibrating won't make any difference
This is what happens when you shoot with a wideangle lens and have the camera pointing up or down.
Have the camera pointing straight out, parallel with the horizon and your verticals will be vertical.
But if you tilt the camera down the verticals will look like they are falling in towards the centre, or outwards if the camera is looking upwards.
Quite right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661