DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini w/ A12 Chip to Avoid "Processor Overload" Problems

Mike Mas

Reactions
Trying to find out if the New Mini with the A12 chip still suffers from the dreaded "Processor Overload" problems like the older Mini's. Apple says its 3-4 times faster than the Mini 4!

Does anyone have some miles on a new Mini who could share their findings?

Thank In Advance - Mike

Attachments

• a - Mini.png
    a - Mini.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
The iPad Mini 5 works well with the DJI Fly, but I'd also consider the newer iPad Air 2020 model with the even more powerful A14 bionic cpu.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Thanks for the reply - I did check it out the Air, however it only comes in 10" which is a bit dominating (big) for these Mini transmitters and adapters. Since all my Mini's 3-4 all have processor overload problems, I've been using my Iphone Pro Max 12. It's A-14 Chip just crunches DJI data with no problems at all. The Pro Max offers a narrow height but offers a wide 6.7" display. it's a great drone monitor since the brightness is 800-1000 nit, nearely twice as bright as a Mini, but the Iphone display is still limited on size.

Thanks Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.42.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 1.42.32 PM.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: pelagic_one
Been using a mini5 with my MA2 for many months without any problem. No problem with Processor Overload, but had to learn how to manage files so I can download video and edit using lumafusion. Kept running out of room, but I think I have that worked out now, so its all good.

Thanks so much guys for the replies - New Mini 5 just arrived, be nice not having to worry about the CPU problem.''

By the way when we use a Mini 4 the only time the CPU gets overloaded is at the end of the flight. As soon as the first battery warning comes on seconds later the CPU overload message shows up.

Mike

Last edited:
So far so good - Picked up the Mini 5 on Sat and I accumulated roughly 10 flights using Mavic and Mini 2 with no processor overload problems. I guess it time we accept there is just too much data crunching with all the features offered in present drones. Therefore at minimum, we'll need at least the Mac A12 processor to keep it from over-loading.

I might also mention I've had good results with my IPhone 12 max Pro. The screen is 800+ nits so it works even in direct sunlight. The only downside when compared to a Mini, is the display lacks height, for any type of detail work, even though the screen is 6.5" wide.

Regards - Mike

Therefore at minimum, we'll need at least the Mac A12 processor to keep it from over-loading.
There’s obviously more going on than just the processor power. Until I upgraded my first gen iPhone SE (16GB, A9 chip) last year, I was successfully using it with my Mini without any processor overload issues.

Thanks for the reply - I'm pretty sure it's just the processor, the main difference between the Mini 4 and Mini 5 is just a faster processor, the rest of the pad is un- changed. They say the 5 is 50 nit brighter, but when I put the 4 by the 5 outside there is no visable difference in brightness,

I only use my Crystal Sky SB and a Mini 4 for most of my flying. I've had processor problems on my Mini 4 which were duplicated on both the Mavic and Mini 2. While its strange, the Mini 2 only generated the processor problem on the first low battery warning. If I avoided the low battery warning it was fine. When flying the Mavic it would occur at any time. I also never had a problem on my IPhone plus!

Mike

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC