DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Operating System for mavic 2 Pro

@Meta4, I have to say, before I say anything else, you are one of the people I most enjoy debating with on the forum.
Thank you
The trade deficit between the USA and China is widening at an alarming pace. The US government is negotiating what can be done to tame it. Would China stop exporting products to the USA if a trade accord can not be reached? Yes they would because they couldnt afford not to. Would China disable already sold devices just to prove their point? Why not!
I just can't see DJI (or any other company) disabling equipment sold to and used by millions of civilians all over the world because of some diplomatic spat between contries' leadership.
It's not going to happen, because there's no reason for it to happen.

I also think you are being sold a pup about your trade deficit with China.
All it means is that your country buys more from China than it sells to China.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
I have a massive trade deficit with my supermarket because I buy a lot more from them than they buy from me.
But that's not a problem as I derive my income from elsewhere.
Likewise your country can sell to more countries than just China.

Reactions: Former Member
I just can't see DJI (or any other company) disabling equipment sold to and used by millions of civilians all over the world because of some diplomatic spat between contries' leadership.
It's not going to happen, because there's no reason for it to happen.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it doesnt have to go as far as disabling a product as much as not supporting a product. If the USA made the tariffs on Chinese products so high so as to deter DJI, or any Chinese company for that matter, from being able to export anything to the USA, those companies will seek greener pastures.

Look at all the VWs being sold in China. I was in China not too long ago and I didnt see a single Ford or Chevy, even the taxis were VW's. Does Germany have such a huge trade imbalance with China, no it doesnt. However, China-German trade imbalance is growing every year as well. The trade imbalance between China and Germany is just 10% of the trade imbalance between the US and China.

DJI's leadership is Chinas leadership.

I also think you are being sold a pup about your trade deficit with China. All it means is that your country buys more from China than it sells to China. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I have a massive trade deficit with my supermarket because I buy a lot more from them than they buy from me. But that's not a problem as I derive my income from elsewhere. Likewise your country can sell to more countries than just China.

The trade deficit is expanding, and China is doing everything it can to annihilate all domestic USA competition. Underpricing, flooding the market, price fixing, unethical business practices, it's all in the MO. I just finished a different post about how I am enamored with DJIs products, and that stands. Their business practices leave something to be desired.

China ia a collective. It is not a bunch of independent capitalists trying to exist in a competitive market. The USA has every right to be concerned.

Reactions: bimmer7 and Wizard1
I was in China not too long ago and I didnt see a single Ford or Chevy.
You don't have to go to China to see that phenomenon.
US made cars aren't very popular anywhere except North America.

Look at all the VWs being sold in China. ... even the taxis were VW's.
Does Germany have such a huge trade imbalance with China, no it doesnt. However, China-German trade imbalance is growing every year as well. The trade imbalance between China and Germany is just 10% of the trade imbalance between the US and China.
Not all VW cars are made in Germany and most (or all) that you saw would have been made in China.
VW has 61 factories in 21 countries (including China) and is one of the biggest car makers in China.

Having an imbalance in trade with a country just means your country is buying more from that country than it sells to that country (or vice versa).
It's not necessarily a bad thing and certainly doesn't mean your country is losing something.

You don't have to go to China to see that phenomenon. US made cars aren't very popular anywhere except North America.

Actually, Ford is the most popular commercial truck brand in Europe.

Not all VW cars are made in Germany and most (or all) that you saw would have been made in China. VW has 61 factories in 21 countries (including China) and is one of the biggest car makers in China.

That emphasizes my point about the trade imbalance. Why would Germany sell 3x as many cars in China than US makers do even though they only did 10% of business with China than the US did? Did China offer a sweeter deal to Germany than they did to the USA?

Having an imbalance in trade with a country just means your country is buying more from that country than it sells to that country (or vice versa).
It's not necessarily a bad thing and certainly doesn't mean your country is losing something.

Yes, but it does mean something if the trade bargain is not reciprocated, and that percentage keeps getting worse over time. Im not partisan, but the current administration in the USA seems to be concerned with the trade imbalance and so am I.

Think about it this way. You enter into a business agreement with another company. You agree to buy their products and they agree to buy yours. After a while, you realize that they are not pumping your products and services as much as you are pumping theirs. You realize this and remind them that this was supposed to be a 2 way street. They refuse to remedy the situation, so you decide to raise prices of their products until they sell more of yours. Thats where the USA is at with the Chinese. It a crappy feeling.

Reactions: Wizard1
Actually, Ford is the most popular commercial truck brand in Europe.
Yes .. Ford in Europe make trucks that suit European needs and they sell well.
They also sell a lot of good Ford cars there ... but they are nothing like American Ford cars or trucks.
Why would Germany sell 3x as many cars in China than US makers do even though they only did 10% of business with China than the US did? Did China offer a sweeter deal to Germany than they did to the USA?
It's simpler than that.
They build the kind of cars the locals want while the US doesn't.
US cars aren't popular anywhere outside North America.
European/Japanese/Korean made cars are much more appreciated in the rest of the world.
Yes, but it does mean something if the trade bargain is not reciprocated, and that percentage keeps getting worse over time. Im not partisan, but the current administration in the USA seems to be concerned with the trade imbalance and so am I.
If you buy more of their stuff than they buy from you and you want a more balanced trade, one solution would be to produce more of the stuff they want.
Continuing to make buggy whips when the world has moved on from horse dominated transport isn't a winning strategy.
If you only make cars that aren't popular outside North America, that's not going to be a big export money maker.
Of course your country does well at farming and China imports a lot of primary production.
But stirring them up with a "trade war" doesn't help much when they can buy soybeans, pork etc elsewhere.

If your really concerned disable auto update (for the app) and choose when and if you upgrade firmware. If your on iOS and like the GO4 version your on now back it up. I accidentally updated and while it wasn’t a major headache it was a bit of fiddling to get a signed earlier version from the app store.

Yes .. Ford in Europe make trucks that suit European needs and they sell well.
They also sell a lot of good Ford cars there ... but they are nothing like American Ford cars or trucks.

It's simpler than that.
They build the kind of cars the locals want while the US doesn't.
US cars aren't popular anywhere outside North America.
European/Japanese/Korean made cars are much more appreciated in the rest of the world.

If you buy more of their stuff than they buy from you and you want a more balanced trade, one solution would be to produce more of the stuff they want.
Continuing to make buggy whips when the world has moved on from horse dominated transport isn't a winning strategy.
If you only make cars that aren't popular outside North America, that's not going to be a big export money maker.
Of course your country does well at farming and China imports a lot of primary production.
But stirring them up with a "trade war" doesn't help much when they can buy soybeans, pork etc elsewhere.
We bave a huge trade surplus with China, but a - ve one with the USA.

We sell heaps of coal Iron Ore and Gas to China but buy lots of stuff tfom the US.

It is mad to just look at ttade with one country.

As tension between China and the USA ratchet up, is there an option to reboot or replace the software in our DJI drones?
This something I think that we all need to discuss here. If that if there is a "kill switch" or program, that China can
initiate to shut down or drones, we should be ready to reprogram and get back in the air.
If you are truly worried (I am not in the least), just don't download any updates until your stress is relieved. That way, you won't have to worry about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard