DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Owner

Also, do you have any recommendations on any type of editing software? I have a MacBook Pro but also have access to windows if need be.

Thanks again!
Matt
Your Mac Book Pro includes a bundle of software. iMovie is good for video editing. Keynote is a nice tool for creating titled pages for green screen animations. Garage Band can be used for editing audio. The programs are simple to use. There are lots of tutorial videos available online.

Reactions: MattJohns11812
Hi everyone,

I am new to the drone world.

After spending an entire day watching YouTube on different drones, I decided to buy a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo.

As I’m waiting for it to be delivered, what are some great tips and advice for someone like me?

Thanks everyone!
Matt

Very interesting.!
Will said most people; since ever, look the sky like heavens an the ability of having a different sight of our planet/ life, it’s simple amazing.
I did the same.
I’m waiting for mine to come I’m so happy.!
To me its like the more power the more responsibility.!
Always safety first .!

Reactions: MattJohns11812
Hi everyone,

After spending an entire day watching YouTube on different drones, I decided to buy a Mavic Mini Fly More Combo.

As I’m waiting for it to be delivered, what are some great tips and advice for someone like me?

Thanks everyone!
Matt
My issue with flying drones is left/right and front/back dyslexia. That occurs when the drone is now facing you can you want to move it in a certain direction and the stick movements are now, well, almost backwards.

Hi everyone.
Another new user here :)
I have Mavic Mini from Saturday, my first drone ever. I am glad to learn, read, watch videos :)
I visited this forum even before that :)

This topic is very helpful.
I downloaded UAV Forecast (didn't know about that, thanks), looks great, I hope it is reliable. I have a question about that, last stats block, I believe it is about GPS, in settings do I need to have checked "Include Galileo Stats"?
What is the best other setting in that page (Min Est Stats, GSP Elev Mask)?
I have set Max Wind to 28 km/h, from Mavic Mini manual. Any recommendation about Wind Altitude in Treshold Settings?
@birderlarry wrote "wind altitude to 100ft and gusts to 15 mph" (about 30 meters and 24 km/h), is that prefered settings no mater of weather conditions?

About DJ Fly app, videos are cached to phone, but not photos. Can photos be transferred also?

Is it safe to fly about 1 m (3 ft) above river?

I uploaded my second flight short video, above my hometown, any suggestions and advices about flight (and editing) are welcome.
Height was 100 m (330 ft).

I am impressed with RTH, I usually lose connection with Mavic Mini at about 1200 ft distance. Is that normal? It happened 5-6 times. But RTH works great. I will try it outside of town to test connectivity.

I have much to practise about piloting :)

While waiting for my MM I’m learning as much and getting familiar with everything related to the drone and most important the safety flying of the drone.
I had come to find out there it’s many app needed to fly safely like AIRMAP & UAV forecast.! It’s there another app I would need to fly safely?
Do you really need this app?
And found out lots of claims regarding the latest firmware been to blame for error messages.
I will appreciate some answer from veterans drone pilots.

I am far from being a veteran pilot but with respect to the latest FW update, all the flights I ve done so far, there were zero errors and the MM was behaving as it should be.

As @Flycaster mentioned, flying over water i think should be avoided during your very first flights.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Matt
This forum is wonderfull, always refer to it. But trees, lamp posts, water, will be your mortal enemies, be careful. Control your anxiety, make short and low flights, with MM vision and progress gradually, without haste. I bought mine in November and haven't done a long range yet, I'm still an apprentice. Study app: UAV Forecast, Windy, Weather Channel. Be happy. Take carefull with your health. Congratulations from Brazil.??

I am far from being a veteran pilot but with respect to the latest FW update, all the flights I ve done so far, there were zero errors and the MM was behaving as it should be.

As @Flycaster mentioned, flying over water i think should be avoided during your very first flights.

Silly question maybe but why shouldn’t you fly over water? I am a new owner and am looking to take my drone to a fishing lake. I do understand that if it crashes in the water that’s the end of the drone but why should you crash in an open space?

Well, not trying to sound snarkey, but if the drone does an uncommanded decent/landing (which has been known to happen more than it should), over land, you walk over to it, or climb the tree.
Over water? You swim, and maybe get it back.....
And make sure your first flights are starting going upwind, easier to get back with less power needs.
The Mini is real susceptable to winds....

I can see your point and have done a lot of reading about this phenomenon of uncontrolled decent. I just think if the drone is going to come down it’s coming down. If this is the case DJI should say never fly over water no matter what experience.

DJI either has a prop design issue, and or the esc's have an issue, which causes the un-commanded decent.
Prop selection, ESC selection, and motor selection are tied very tight to each other, and if one of them "changes", then things can get wonkey..Something is exceeding the operation parameters.
As long as you keep it close, wary of breezes/winds, and it is wifi. you should be good.

BUT, DJI has to come up with a fix....that works....

Silly question maybe but why shouldn’t you fly over water? I am a new owner and am looking to take my drone to a fishing lake. I do understand that if it crashes in the water that’s the end of the drone but why should you crash in an open space?
Not silly at all. I think when learning to fly (as with any other skill) it's better to have the best conditions possible to focus undistracted on the task at hand eliminating any potential dangers.

I wasn't referring necessarily to the uncommanded descent issue but in general why try to rush things when you can start slow and steady to get to know the drone?

Plus what you also mentioned, if something odd happens and falls into the water, it ll most likely be the end of it.

Not silly at all. I think when learning to fly (as with any other skill) it's better to have the best conditions possible to focus undistracted on the task at hand eliminating any potential dangers.

I wasn't referring necessarily to the uncommanded descent issue but in general why try to rush things when you can start slow and steady to get to know the drone?

Plus what you also mentioned, if something odd happens and falls into the water, it ll most likely be the end of it.

I have done a couple of hours flying close to home and always use UAV forecast so never push my drone to the max but I did buy this drone to take over lakes and have read this could be a problem but like I say this can happen anywhere. Just don’t see how over a lake can be different to any other scenario other than it the damage that could occur.

Is there anything that water does to the drone i.e throw the gps out of sync or mess around with any other settings?

Not sure how the downward sensors work on your AC, but on the Mavics, water, moving/rippling water can confuse the system. Common practice with the Mavic is to turn off the bottom sensors when over water.

Now as to the mini, I think it is just bad timing if your over water when you get the dreaded
motor power issue. Tending to be looking like the props get deformed/flattened out, less lift, and the motor can't handle it...

Reactions: Xanadu
Flycaster is right. The downward vision system had some limits when flying over water. You can read about those at page 16 of the MM manual.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
When looking at YouTube videos, pay particular attention to the crash compilation videos of drones...nothing more sobering than watching all the happy faces turn sad when tree/wall/wind/water/magnetic/rushed setup/etc. steps in to ruin the flight. Will sharpen your instincts to fly low/slow and carefully to build up experience gradually.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Matt
Congrats on your new drone..fly more combo is the best choice...fly safe.

Reactions: Xanadu
When looking at YouTube videos, pay particular attention to the crash compilation videos of drones...nothing more sobering than watching all the happy faces turn sad when tree/wall/wind/water/magnetic/rushed setup/etc. steps in to ruin the flight. Will sharpen your instincts to fly low/slow and carefully to build up experience gradually.

No you've done it....after watching all the drone gacking vids, he won't take his out to fly!!.... ? ?

Reactions: ff22 and Mrveronn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman