DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot - A few questions.

SteFFX

Reactions
Hello all!

For some time now I have been considering to get a drone, and finally a few days ago I got my Mavic Air! This is an amazing piece of technology and I am sincerely amazed. I just got home from my second flight and I am watching the footage right now. The idea is to take the drone with me during vacation or small weekend trips. I do have a few concerns though, that might make me return the product:

1. Stress during flight

Maybe because I am new, and a stressful person in general, but I have this feeling during flight that I need to have 150% of my attention every single second my aircraft is in the air, and my heartbeat gets elevated for the slightest of reasons (pack of birds approaching from the distance, no immediate threat for the drone) and this takes away the joy of the moment. As I am typing these lines, my stomach is still tight from earlier today, although I didn't have any close calls or accidents. Is this happening to any of you? I know a potential solution is DJI Care Refresh (if I can recover the drone) or just a drone insurance. Knowing myself though, I will continue feel like this.

2. Hassle

I know this is the best portable drone in the market right now, but still, if I want to take with me on a trip, it means I have to carry: Drone + Batteries + Charger + Hub + SD Cards + ND Filters. On top of that I already carry (together with my girlfriend) : DSLR + Battery + Charger + SD Cards + Filters + GoPro with batteries and chargers etc. All this helps to capture great footage and material that we'll have for a lifetime, but during the trip sometimes you feel it's just too much

Would appreciate your insights on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmax229
When you lose fear you are a true professional. I have flown all kinds of RC aircraft over the past 15 years and my heart still kicks up a notch no matter what.

You are sweating just carrying your mavic? I take my drone and full camera gear. A small tripod all the Chargers extra SD cards cleaners tools cables . Just buy a good bag. I am actually rolling out right now
IMG_20190330_155621.jpg

Hello all!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: Madmax229
I always preach practice but in the end I get stressed every flight for different reasons. I'm still trying to dial in set up and remembering everything. Get extra batteries so that first one you can waste time and get things the way you want to feel comfortable flying. I try not to be around anyone when flying because I need to stay focused. Little things affect your flight plan and you have to be ready for them. Forgetting a memory card, bad cable, loss of video, flying into the sun, wind, where to fly, when can you fly, battery not charged, forgot the charger on my trip, is that squirrel eating my sandwich while I'm flying? Cables, tablet hook up, filters, interference etc...I'm sure someone will point out more. Pre-flight plan, post flight plan....LMAO!!! Just some things to consider.
I flew this morning and I spent the night before going through all my gear to get ready. I just went about a mile from my house to fly in a canyon but thats what it takes for me to "have fun". (today was working with the Master Air props and setting up my temp tablet.) It really comes down to planning. Its all good when I fly around my house but it requires planning if I leave the house. In the end when I get to see what i shot and its worth it to me :)

Last edited:
Yes I still stress out every single flight but thats part of It I guess. Yes you have to 100% focus. Hey your flying an aircraft and with that comes responsibility, but its fun and hunting down those great memories is what it all about. So fly safe and have fun, and lets see some great shots.
I love my air and its portability. I can get everything in to a smatree case and it fits in the saddle bag of my bike.AC,4 batteries, RC, charger, Ipad, extra props, extra cables.Reg card,small power pak, glasses.

I still stress out about...
Am I pissing anyone in the area off by flying near them?
Is someone going to call the police because they think flying the drone is illegal?
Is someone going to call the police because they think the drone is too noisy?
Is someone going to call the police because they think I'm invading their privacy?
Is a SWAT team going to jump from a helicopter and arrest me for flying in a restricted area (even though I know I'm not)?

So, yeah, I still stress when flying. Actually, crashing or losing the drone seldom crosses my mind.

Are you allowed to fly a mavic over your house at a park not within line of site and take video?

Technically, I believe, the drone always needs to be in your line of sight. But if you asked the members on this forum (and they answered honestly) if they've ever flown their drone not in their line of sight, most, if not all, would say yes.

Depending on how many people you're flying above at the park, I'm pretty sure flying at a park is fine. You'll have to check your proximity to any airports, however.

The drone was flown about 15 ft away from me and I believe the pilot was on the other side of the house 75 yards away. Not in the line of site. He flew directly above me. I should of filmed it. I love drones but this gives us a bad wrap.....

My first “not toy” drone was a 3DR Iris. That thing gave me mini heart attacks, a thumper foot and micro strokes. Then I got into FPV racing and slowly conquered the palpitations until they were gone. Today I got a Mavic 2 zoom and flying it was like driving a nice car. I even flew standing up while chatting with my wife, something I can’t do while racing FPV because I tip over. In short, it took me about 3 years to be able to fly without trembles.

I still stress out about...
Am I pissing anyone in the area off by flying near them?
Is someone going to call the police because they think flying the drone is illegal?
Is someone going to call the police because they think the drone is too noisy?
Is someone going to call the police because they think I'm invading their privacy?
Is a SWAT team going to jump from a helicopter and arrest me for flying in a restricted area (even though I know I'm not)?

So, yeah, I still stress when flying. Actually, crashing or losing the drone seldom crosses my mind.
I have only ever had one complaint and that was from a tourist.
I was flying around a Neolithic stone circle when a woman announced loudly that she had came for some piece and quiet and it shouldn't be aloud.
When I landed I approached her to apologise if I had spoiled 5 minutes of her day but I had waited two and a half hours trying to get some video with no tourists in the shots, she had no answer to that.
It was quite funny as I approached her, me with my long hair and leather jacket as she thought I was going to tell her I would do what I want and she could go f*** off.
I was using my MI drone that is quite loud (didn't have the Mavic back then) everyone else was more interested than annoyed.

I was once approached by a Church warden while taking pictures of the Church but he thought it was great.
I framed a couple of the pictures and donated them to the Church, that went down really well.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob
Thunderdrones

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga