DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot Looking for Tips

Take your Time!

Don't expect to get the awsome footage from the first take of, just take your time in getting used to the drone. My first flights with my MA were very hesitant, slowly on, I got more confident and then tried more. As I knew how to fly it myself, I tried some options of automated flight like the POI.

Now, after six months of more or less regular flights (about 60 in total, ca. 8 hours) I consider myself still "new".

The other thing I decided to do is to have prpared cards with my name and contact data. If people approach me, I signal that I take my time for their questions after I brought in the drone. Sometimes people disappear, most of the time, people stay and wait. I explain what i do, give a simple demonstration and then give them a card. If they contact me, I give them acces to an edited version of the video I took. It is not much additional work, but it opens doors for me and sometimes I even get a coffee and some cookies :)

Edit: And I do storngly advice you to fly indoors - if you like some new furniture and an new drone

I am a new pilot too, listen to everyone's advice on here.
They are all super helpful and there is tons of information to help you get started and in becoming a proficient flyer ,

I stumbled across a very interesting video on youtube which was aimed at helping new pilots by addressing some of the potential issues you may face and how to control yourself to control your drone.

A lad, think it was Billy kyle, demonstrated how to familiarise yourself with the app information, in such case you lose video connection but still have control etc.
The directional arrow at the bottom of the screen and full map view.
So you can return your drone safely to yourself without using the RTH function (Return to home) and without being able to "see".

A very useful tip for new pilots, as losing your "sight" can be somewhat of a stomach turning moment.

The directional arrow at the bottom of the screen and full map view.
So you can return your drone safely to yourself without using the RTH function (Return to home) and without being able to "see".

A very useful tip for new pilots, as losing your "sight" can be somewhat of a stomach turning moment.

As a beginning pilot, I would not even think about flying beyond the oint that I can see and directly control my drone. NEVER rely on your screen, you only see one way and that in a relativ limited view. It is not like with your normal sight that you might register someting in the uttermost corner of your eye making you turn your head just enough to see what threatens you. I have seen numerous pilots "Kill" their drone by flying out of sight. Do yourself and the dronepilotcomunity a big big favour: Don't fly out od sight and if you decide to do so, then don't do it as a new pilot.

Reactions: CareyL and Thomas B
As a beginning pilot, I would not even think about flying beyond the oint that I can see and directly control my drone. NEVER rely on your screen, you only see one way and that in a relativ limited view. It is not like with your normal sight that you might register someting in the uttermost corner of your eye making you turn your head just enough to see what threatens you. I have seen numerous pilots "Kill" their drone by flying out of sight. Do yourself and the dronepilotcomunity a big big favour: Don't fly out od sight and if you decide to do so, then don't do it as a new pilot.

Completely agree with you, as it should be in sight all of the time, but knowing how to bring the drone home with the screen as an aid (Map/Compass alone) for me is a must.
You should never have a drone out of sight, but the mavic mini its lovely shade of what would we call it, cloud grey doesn't do itself any favours ?? especially in the uk 90% of the year round it camouflages itself so very well to the drab overcast grey sky ?

Last edited:
Completely agree with you, as it should be in sight all of the time, but knowing how to bring the drone home with the screen as an aid (Map/Compass alone) for me is a must.
You should never have a drone out of sight, but the mavic mini its lovely shade of what would we call it, cloud grey doesn't do itself any favours ?? especially in the uk 90% of the year round it camouflages itself so very well to the drab overcast grey sky ?
good excuse for getting a nice bright shiny wrap fitted

Last edited:
Visual Line of Sight means you can see it.
Have a written Emergency Procedure that includes notifying police and Air Traffic Control, (with their phone numbers).

I’ve never flown a drone and my Mavic Mini should be here in a week. I'm looking for a few tips or do’s and don’ts. What are your top three tips for a virgin pilot using the Mini?

A lot of good advice already here. I would add that to start (in my case months) stay in beginner mode. Never allow the drone out of your site. It takes some time to get accustomed to the controls and the nervousness (my hands shook for the first few flights). Youtube has some great video tutorials. Spend some time watching them and you will learn a lot. Then practice one thing thing at a time until you feel comfortable with it then move on.

Fly every day if you can, even if only for 1 battery worth. This will help your confidence and give you experience.

Never panic. If something goes wrong a level head will get you much further. If you watch enough YouTube you will have some idea what to do in most emergencies. Knowledge is power.

Respect others privacy and wishes. In other words don't fly over your neighbors house if they object to it. Study the rules and laws and abide by them. There is really no need to violate the rules. You can get more then enough enjoyment within the law. The laws and rules are there for a reason: to keep you and others safe.

Don't take chances...it is not worth it. When you get a warning message, for example "Low Battery Warning"... take it seriously. Never think you know better then the device. You don't.

Finally ... HAVE FUN!!! Remember it is only "toy" an incredibly technologically advanced and expensive one, to be sure, but still a "toy". Even if it crashed and you lost it. it would not ruin your life.

(Sorry more then 3)

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard