DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot, new Member, New Drone!

Altitude vs Elevation is one that can confuse many new pilots, always good to understand the area you are flying in, and any deviations in the landscape, all part of the initial risk assessment.

Attachments

• altitude-vs-elevation-715x540.jpg
    altitude-vs-elevation-715x540.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
@DLittle ,it is,the height is from the home point,,and after the drone has gone above around 35 ft up it is based on barometric air pressure,when in downwards sensor range, then it is better for giving an accurate reading ,and that is shown on the second height icon on the screen,you will notice that this will go blank and say NA ,when the sensors are not in range, the drone once it is above the range of the sensors ,has no idea how high it is from the ground it is flying over ,and the reading is at best not very accurate ,due to changes in air pressure

Last edited:
New pilot, new drone here too. I noticed the same thing. I too notice that the drone height appears to be based on the take off point, and not where the drone is.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland DLittle.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Hello, from the Sequoia foothills.
I have a question, [this kind of answers it but.... seems odd Height Ability in High places, like a mountain???]
I live in next to a hill that climbs up 1500 feet or so that i've always wanted to check out.
I take off at 'zero' feet and head toward, and up that hill, with all the GPS and bottom sensors, my MA2 does not see the ground coming up as i ascend the hill.
So... I need to make calculations to raise the 400 ft limit as i head up the hill?

Thanks for your help, and for this great forum.

Brand new drone owner, I flew a glider a couple of times in the past, My new Mavic Air 2 is SO much easier. I love that when i let go of the sticks, it just hovers... so nice.

View attachment 123721
WELCOME TO THE FORUM - CHEERS FROM LANCASHIRE !! ?

Welcome to the forum! I’m a new owner of MA2 as of 2 days ago. Being an old guy the learning curve is quite steep. Got it out of the box yesterday and did the app download and that was all I could do as the wind in the desert was 25-35 gusts. This morning I was able to do calibrations and a few takeoff and landings, that is when the wind returned. i hope you enjoy your new “toy” as much as I do. Keep us informed of your progress.
?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada