DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new pilot with legal questions

Here's an example of flying over people and cars, but in reality I never actually flew over people or cars. If I were to point my camera straight down you would see I'm off to the side of everything.

So what I'm getting is that if you're careful to put some distance between the people/vehicles you can get good shots of stuff without interfering with anyone or being a nuisance in any way and if you are going to try to take shots around people to put propellor guards on and exercise caution.

Here's an example of flying over people and cars, but in reality I never actually flew over people or cars. If I were to point my camera straight down you would see I'm off to the side of everything.
Excellent example of how to get good shots without flying over people or cars, it can be done and it's probably better shots when you are not directly overhead. I think regular folks believe this is overhead but we know it's offset. Pretty windy out there but you're better than me when it comes to getting that close to the flying flag and pole. :)

Anyway, if you wanted to get a shot from the other side of the street, easy to fly around the "end" to the other side but if that long line extended for a mile in either direction, personally I think it would be ok to traverse over and across the few people and cars below as you navigate without lingering from point a to point b. ymmv

So what I'm getting is that if you're careful to put some distance between the people/vehicles you can get good shots of stuff without interfering with anyone or being a nuisance in any way and if you are going to try to take shots around people to put propellor guards on and exercise caution.
Personally I don't think there is an element of nuisance involved unless you are down at ground level or the noise is inappropriate (i.e. funeral?) You always need to be careful and you just have to judge the level of agitation if any associated with lingering or hovering. I really hate to use the word interfering because that's a legal term and there is absolutely no unlawful interfering involved when it comes to flying your drone over public or private property (at a reasonable level) unless there is public safety flying in the area.

I don't recommend prop guards outdoors, I think they do more harm than good and they may give you a false sense of security. I would still feel uncomfortable with hovering/lingering/flying my Avata directly over top of someone sitting in the bleachers for example.

Excellent example of how to get good shots without flying over people or cars, it can be done and it's probably better shots when you are not directly overhead. I think regular folks believe this is overhead but we know it's offset. Pretty windy out there but you're better than me when it comes to getting that close to the flying flag and pole. :)

Anyway, if you wanted to get a shot from the other side of the street, easy to fly around the "end" to the other side but if that long line extended for a mile in either direction, personally I think it would be ok to traverse over and across the few people and cars below as you navigate without lingering from point a to point b. ymmv
I probably could have crossed the road but it was 2019 and the rules were different back then. still I should have LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov