DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New standalone battery charge adapter review

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I got tired of having to swap out batteries in my Mini to charge them. I'd seen these charger adapters before and they looked interesting, but until yesterday they were all shipped from China and would take 3 weeks or longer to arrive. Suddenly it appears on Amazon with next day delivery. $13 (w free returns). Why not? So I get it and I'm shocked at how small it is but figured it would work or wouldn't. At first I was confused as to the type of plug that went into the adapter, and after a few senior moments I realized that it was a plain ol USB-C. I think it's the first device that I've purchased with USB-C.

I plugged the thing into my QC 3.0 charger with a new Mini battery, set the timer and watched... 80 minutes later fully charged!
The indicator light isn't sophisticated at all; red for charging, off for complete. But after disconnecting it I put the battery in the MM and got 4 solid lights. It worked so well that I've just ordered a 2nd one so I can charge 3 batteries simultanously. Did I mention- this thing is small!!!

I had contemplated getting the DJI charger [I got the Costco 2 batteries plus charging dome kit] but was turned off by the series charger that came with DJI's flymore package. What is the practicality of charging one at a time even though nested in one package? While I probably spent as much money as I would have with the flymore kit, I think for the same money I think got everything I wanted without the stuff that I wasn't interested in.

MiniBatteryAdapter_wPlugnCable.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at those as well. If they are on amazon I Will order them. I heard people say that they find the dome slower to charge but its all about the block you use. Lol i still can’t understand why they don’t include everything that is needed to get the done up and going i mean they could have included a wall block and a second usb cord for controller

Reactions: E90RAW
I got 1 a few weeks ago for charging the batteries when out walking.. it has been really good.. there is another one double the size with an LCD display on it and a USB out..

I was looking at those as well. If they are on amazon I Will order them. I heard people say that they find the dome slower to charge but its all about the block you use. Lol i still can’t understand why they don’t include everything that is needed to get the done up and going i mean they could have included a wall block and a second usb cord for controller

Yes, the dome base is fast only IF you use a QC 3.0 wall wart with 15watts or better. Longer than 3 hours with a standard 3 amp charger, 90 minutes with the QC 3.0. If traveling, there is no law written that you hve to bring the dome along. While the base itself isn't the smallest, most appealing device you could travel with it without the dome to save space.

As far as what DJI includes in their kit, there is often little logic in the corporate mind, trying to milk every pennie of margin out of a product. DJI being a Chinese company is going to have a different cultural reference and mind set than American or European corporations [long dissertation omitted]. I

While you can't do an end run around the DJI batteries ($45???) I felt that. other than batteries, there were functionally better 3rd party products than DJI produces for equivalent costs- at least for the Mavic Mini.

I got tired of having to swap out batteries in my Mini to charge them. I'd seen these charger adapters before and they looked interesting, but until yesterday they were all shipped from China and would take 3 weeks or longer to arrive. Suddenly it appears on Amazon with next day delivery. $13 (w free returns). Why not? So I get it and I'm shocked at how small it is but figured it would work or wouldn't. At first I was confused as to the type of plug that went into the adapter, and after a few senior moments I realized that it was a plain ol USB-C. I think it's the first device that I've purchased with USB-C.

I plugged the thing into my QC 3.0 charger with a new Mini battery, set the timer and watched... 80 minutes later fully charged!
The indicator light isn't sophisticated at all; red for charging, off for complete. But after disconnecting it I put the battery in the MM and got 4 solid lights. It worked so well that I've just ordered a 2nd one so I can charge 3 batteries simultanously. Did I mention- this thing is small!!!

I had contemplated getting the DJI charger [I got the Costco 2 batteries plus charging dome kit] but was turned off by the series charger that came with DJI's flymore package. What is the practicality of charging one at a time even though nested in one package? While I probably spent as much money as I would have with the flymore kit, I think for the same money I think got everything I wanted without the stuff that I wasn't interested in.

View attachment 107729
I have a USB-C for a bicycle light and I love the USB-C. It doesnt matter how you place it in the port, up or down doesnt matter. And its much sturdier than the USB-B or Micro. The industry (minus apple-"apple care" means they only care about themselves) should all change over to USB-C.

Unless I missed it, the link for that simple charger is:

Yes... But mine were $12.99, not $16.99. Amazon.com: Hanatora Battery USB Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 for DJI Mavic Mini Drone, with Type C Charging Cable Portable Accessories: Toys & Games

View attachment 107729
Thanks for the Heads Up!

Got it. I've been wondering about charging my mavic mini in the car. Now I have a positive expectation and can extend my flying opportunities while car-camping. Thanks

What is the practicality of charging one at a time even though nested in one package?
The reasoning is, it is a device that allows you to charge three batteries, in one charging session, with out having to disconnect and reconnect individual batteries from and to, one charger.
It charges one battery at a time so that, from any applicable power source, each individual battery is, once charging, charged as quickly as is possible. Thereby getting you a fully charged battery and possibly into the air as quickly as possible.
Certainly it could be made so as to charge all three batteries simultaneously but using that same power source you would then have to wait a lot longer before you had a charged battery with which to fly.
Yes you could increase the power of the charger in use and charge all three batteries in the same time as it takes the flymore set up to charge one, as you may now be doing (3 chargers rated at w, y & z watts), but the more powerful charger would cost more etc.etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reasoning is it is a device that allows you to charge three batteries, in one charging session, with out having to disconnect and reconnect individual batteries from and to, one charger.
It charges one battery at a time so that, from any applicable power source, each individual battery is, once charging, charged as quickly as is possible. Thereby getting you a fully charged battery and possibly into the air as quickly as possible.
Certainly it could be made so as to charge all three batteries simultaneously but using that same power source you would then have to wait a lot longer before you had a charged battery with which to fly.
Yes you could increase the power of the charger in use and charge all three batteries in the same time as it takes the flymore set up to charge one, as you may now be doing (3 chargers rated at w, y & z watts), but the more powerful charger would cost more etc.etc.

As always you have provided a cogent explanation of why things are as they are. I get it. One power supply and a distribution center. Makes more sense now. It just happens that I have multiple power supplies for other things, at least two with QC 3.0 charging so the separate adapters made sense to me as I can charge all three batteries simultaneously and be back fully within 90 minutes. I can appreciate throwing three batteries into the DJI charger and forgetting about them. With the kit that I bought the standalones were a better strategy for me. I suppose if you only have one wall power supply the DJI series charger is a bit more economical.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54