DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Term for Drone Flying

Hover Camping (n) - the act of leaving a quadcopter in a stationary hover at altitude for observation, sensor recording or collecting time lapse images.

And THAT'S a new one on me.... learn something new everyday :)

Good find :)

The words of the late (and sadly missed) Robin Williams very quickly comes to mind - the like of which I could never do his rendition justice! I think you probably get my meaning though. :cool:;)

My hobby is not actually flying the drone, I fly RC fixed wing aircraft for aircraft flying fix. Yes, I control my drone just as I drive my car to get to where I want to be, but car driving is not my hobby and neither is "drone" flying. My hobby when I am using my Mavic Air is taking pictures and videos from a perspective above and/or at a distance from my subject. The "drone" (I usually just call it an aircraft) is simply a tool to get the camera into the position I want it to be in. I very much try to dis-associate myself with anything to do with the word "drone". It might be semantics but a clever choice of words can often calm a situation down or create interest. Everybody has an opinion on "drones" so I try to use other words in an attempt to navigate around their preconceived ideas hoping for that to lead to questions and conversation. "Drones" to me are those things you buy for $30 in the mass retailers stores; what kids get under the tree for Christmas. What we use are sophisticated aircraft with sophisticated electronics, controls and safety features. If you can make that distinction in your own mind, maybe, just maybe you can convince other people and get our hobby of aerial photography more accepted. I own a pretty decent NIKON 35mm DSLR, nobody cares when I pull that out to take pictures of the scenery, even if they are in the shot just because they are there. Hopefully one day we can get the same acceptance for these aircraft and this hobby as people have for our DSLR's and still photography. The media has made "drone" a dirty word associated with irresponsible people so I distance myself from that with different language. But I will never, ever say that I am hover camping!

Every year the folks over at the Oxford dictionary recognize new words that have entered the popular vernacular. Maybe this year we'll see Hover Camping.

Could get really, really risqué and shorten the name to "ho-mping"!
You might have do some fast talking when explaining to the local constabulary though; if you have been found "homping" near a local park or beach.
"Know what I mean Officer!" ???

I guess the difference lies in whether you are "chewing over" whether to film or not to film while hovering and if the end result is likely to "light a fire" under your previously ordinaire videography library. ;):cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR