DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones and need help with wifi booster for MM.

DENTDRONE

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I just bought and received my new mm and of course I'm interested in longer distance flying.

I bought a new dual band XR 4HAWKS antenna and I would like to boost the signal using a wifi repeater. I've been reading a lot of the post here and I'm a bit confused still.

Here are my questions for you experts out there.

I live in the USA so FCC. What wifi booster should I get? I saw a Sunhans dual band 5.8 and 2.4 wifi booster repeater online that be is compatible with DJI RC.

So here is the question in mind.

Which side of the RC do you boost or would I need 2 wifi boosters?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I just bought and received my new mm and of course I'm interested in longer distance flying.

I bought a new dual band XR 4HAWKS antenna and I would like to boost the signal using a wifi repeater. I've been reading a lot of the post here and I'm a bit confused still.

Here are my questions for you experts out there.

I live in the USA so FCC. What wifi booster should I get? I saw a Sunhans dual band 5.8 and 2.4 wifi booster repeater online that be is compatible with DJI RC.

So here is the question in mind.

Which side of the RC do you boost or would I need 2 wifi boosters?

Thanks in advance.
Your FCC Mavic Mini only operates on 5.8. It’s is not dual frequency. So you just need a 5.8 booster, one for each side.

I would recommend these.

Sunhans eSunRC 5.8GHz 2000mW 33dBm Wireless Signal Booster WIFI Amplifier

You need TWO of these!

I like these because they are smaller, are lower noise, and have less stringent power input requirements. You can use an off the shelf USB power bank to power them in fact it comes with a USB power cord!

Most amps require a 6v power source which means you need some kind of custom made battery housing and connectors. However, the ones I have picked out for you above can run off any 5v 2amp power source such as a USB power bank like one you’d use to charge a phone with.

It's been a heap of years since I played with this stuff, Navy ET1 63-70. But what you are seeking to do is not exactly simple. When installing a set of co-phased antennas on a single amp, one uses a co-phase harness between the amp and antennas. Trying to use two individual amps, to drive the two antennas, requires the co-phase harness installed prior to the amps.

Impedance matching is important, otherwise you can waste your power with a high SWR that may trash the amp or pre-amp. Unless you know what you're doing, I'd advise don't. That, or install a proven kit in the manner it was intended, letting someone else do the engineering and testing.

It's been a heap of years since I played with this stuff, Navy ET1 63-70. But what you are seeking to do is not exactly simple. When installing a set of co-phased antennas on a single amp, one uses a co-phase harness between the amp and antennas. Trying to use two individual amps, to drive the two antennas, requires the co-phase harness installed prior to the amps.

Impedance matching is important, otherwise you can waste your power with a high SWR that may trash the amp or pre-amp. Unless you know what you're doing, I'd advise don't. That, or install a proven kit in the manner it was intended, letting someone else do the engineering and testing.
It’s just a repeater that amplifies the signal. The stock amps inside the remote aren’t modified so the external amps are just repeating and amplifying the signal coming from the internal amplifiers. Honestly I’m not sure it uses both antenna at the same time.

Your FCC Mavic Mini only operates on 5.8. It’s is not dual frequency. So you just need a 5.8 booster, one for each side.

I would recommend these.

Sunhans eSunRC 5.8GHz 2000mW 33dBm Wireless Signal Booster WIFI Amplifier

You need TWO of these!

I like these because they are smaller, are lower noise, and have less stringent power input requirements. You can use an off the shelf USB power bank to power them in fact it comes with a USB power cord!

Most amps require a 6v power source which means you need some kind of custom made battery housing and connectors. However, the ones I have picked out for you above can run off any 5v 2amp power source such as a USB power bank like one you’d use to charge a phone with.

Brett,

Thank you for the information you provided. I take it that the 4Hawks XR antenna extender will work fine it being dual band. I've also read that some pilots are only using one wifi booster only on the right side of the controller closest one to the power button. I don't mind spending the money. I just want to make sure of that first. Can you please explain why 2 boosters are needed? Thanks in advance.

Brett,

Thank you for the information you provided. I take it that the 4Hawks XR antenna extender will work fine it being dual band. I've also read that some pilots are only using one wifi booster only on the right side of the controller closest one to the power button. I don't mind spending the money. I just want to make sure of that first. Can you please explain why 2 boosters are needed? Thanks in advance.
I haven’t heard anything like that on the mini though it’s possible. The Mavic Pro was like that, only the left side really had to be boosted.

The reason for that on the Mavic Pro was that the left antenna did most of the work and the right side was just a diversity antenna. It would communicate with the drone on different frequencies than the left antenna testing various frequencies while the left antenna maintained full connection with the drone. If the signal on a different frequency provided a better connection the left antenna would switch to the better frequency and the right antenna would take over duties till the left side had switched over.

So boosting only the left side works (on the Mavic Pro) but you give up the benefit of the diversity antenna by not boosting it. In other words boosting both sides is better even if you don’t “have” to. Which to be clear I don’t personally know in the Mini’s case, it’s possible you really HAVE to have both.

If you think about it the Mini would only have one antenna if the one side didn’t do anything and by boosting only one side you are essentially using only one antenna.

If it’s a cost thing then do more research on that but you have invested in a top of the line antenna already that makes it very directional and now you are putting in boosters it doesn’t make sense to me personally on a logical standpoint not to both sides. It would be something akin to buying a race car but deciding to only put racing tires on two wheels...

That’s just my personal take on this, take it for what it’s worth

I haven’t heard anything like that on the mini though it’s possible. The Mavic Pro was like that, only the left side really had to be boosted.

The reason for that on the Mavic Pro was that the left antenna did most of the work and the right side was just a diversity antenna. It would communicate with the drone on different frequencies than the left antenna testing various frequencies while the left antenna maintained full connection with the drone. If the signal on a different frequency provided a better connection the left antenna would switch to the better frequency and the right antenna would take over duties till the left side had switched over.

So boosting only the left side works (on the Mavic Pro) but you give up the benefit of the diversity antenna by not boosting it. In other words boosting both sides is better even if you don’t “have” to. Which to be clear I don’t personally know in the Mini’s case, it’s possible you really HAVE to have both.

If you think about it the Mini would only have one antenna if the one side didn’t do anything and by boosting only one side you are essentially using only one antenna.

If it’s a cost thing then do more research on that but you have invested in a top of the line antenna already that makes it very directional and now you are putting in boosters it doesn’t make sense to me personally on a logical standpoint not to both sides. It would be something akin to buying a race car but deciding to only put racing tires on two wheels...

Brett, thanks you again. I did go ahead ad buy TWO 5.8GHz repeaters and battery bank. I will update once I have received all of the parts to complete the RC.

Brett,

On the Mini, the right antenna is both Tx and Rx, while the left antenna is Rx only. These extenders amplify both Tx and Rx, so if you want maximum range for the video and telemetry Rx from the drone, you want an amplifier on each antenna.

I haven't noticed in the forums whether the mini's left antenna being Rx only, is it only for the video transmitted from the AC and not receiving data?

I haven't noticed in the forums whether the mini's left antenna being Rx only, is it only for the video transmitted from the AC and not receiving data?
I believe there is only the one 5.8 GHz channel used for both video and telemetry. I don't have the reference post offhand, but I believe it's been empirically verified that both antenna receive, which is why you get maximum range with the controller pointed toward the drone.

I appreciate all the discussion on this topic, I'm interested in the boosters-

Do you think that they'd provide a benefit with the stock antennas? I don't want to switch to the extremely directional panel antenna array just yet... Suppose there's one way to find out..

I appreciate all the discussion on this topic, I'm interested in the boosters-

Do you think that they'd provide a benefit with the stock antennas? I don't want to switch to the extremely directional panel antenna array just yet... Suppose there's one way to find out..
It would be basically impossible to keep the stock antennas.

One: they will most likely be destroyed in the modification process unless you are really really careful

Two: the amps output is not the same connector that the stock antenna have so they won’t connect without some custom adapter which you just wouldn’t do.

However, you can get the same kind of Omni-directional antennas to get the same type of coverage. In fact I personally use 7dbi Omni-directional antennas for that very reason, I don’t want it to be directional.

You could get even more cleaver and make one antenna Omni-directional and the other directional to get a mix of signal coverage.

It would be basically impossible to keep the stock antennas.

One: they will most likely be destroyed in the modification process unless you are really really careful

Two: the amps output is not the same connector that the stock antenna have so they won’t connect without some custom adapter which you just wouldn’t do.

However, you can get the same kind of Omni-directional antennas to get the same type of coverage. In fact I personally use 7dbi Omni-directional antennas for that very reason, I don’t want it to be directional.

You could get even more cleaver and make one antenna Omni-directional and the other directional to get a mix of signal coverage.

Which ones are you using? Are you running the amps as well? What kind of increases are you seeing as far as video transmission?

My main issue seems to be interference, as I live in a suburb...

Which ones are you using? Are you running the amps as well? What kind of increases are you seeing as far as video transmission?

My main issue seems to be interference, as I live in a suburb...
This is the one I use that works the best for me. There are lots of good 5.8 Omni-directional antennas out there though since that’s what FPV fliers use. They aren’t expensive so I’d get several different kinds and test them. Kinda adds some fun to it anyway.

TECHTOO WiFi Antenna Dual Band 7dBi 2.4GHz/5.8GHz with RP-SMA Connector

and what was the outcome?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio