DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones and need some experienced help

Hi guys i hope you are all well . I am new to flying drones and purchased a mavic air 2 combo . I have registered my drone paying £9 and completing the online course . I have a question to ask if I may I am aware that I am unable to fly no more than 50m close to buildings and 150m near built up areas . But what if your are stood inside the built up areas and you want to fly around a structure say operating the drone 60m away from the subject and you have buildings either side of you less than 30m away from me while taking off . The reason I'm asking is that there are plenty of footage on youtube showing city centre fly overs. Like I mentioned , I'm new to this hobby and I don't want to do something stupid due to my inexperience . Kindest regards .
The 150 metres from built-up areas rule, is designed to tell you that you can't over-fly built-up areas at all. That's due to the other overriding rule that states that you must fly within 120 metres (400 ft) of the surface of the earth at all times. Since you can't fly higher than 120 metres, and closer to a built-up area than 150 metres - your drone is banned from built-up areas altogether.
Unfortunately, the YouTube videos that you have seen, are done by rule-breakers who don't care that they are making it harder for us to fly drones anywhere in the UK!

Reactions: old man mavic
The 150 metres from built-up areas rule, is designed to tell you that you can't over-fly built-up areas at all. That's due to the other overriding rule that states that you must fly within 120 metres (400 ft) of the surface of the earth at all times. Since you can't fly higher than 120 metres, and closer to a built-up area than 150 metres - your drone is banned from built-up areas altogether.
Unfortunately, the YouTube videos that you have seen, are done by rule-breakers who don't care that they are making it harder for us to fly drones anywhere in the UK!
Hi Thankyou for your comment. I’m learning very quickly what I’m allowed and not allowed . I’m contemplating purchasing the magic mini as that is under 250g , as that would allow me to capture the images I want for my project of filming my home town of Hunslet that is bound by the 150m rule . The other alternative is to do the 107 course which is the same price as the magic mini . ??? . What ever happens I will not break any rules .

Hi Thankyou for your comment. I’m learning very quickly what I’m allowed and not allowed . I’m contemplating purchasing the magic mini as that is under 250g , as that would allow me to capture the images I want for my project of filming my home town of Hunslet that is bound by the 150m rule . The other alternative is to do the 107 course which is the same price as the magic mini . ??? . What ever happens I will not break any rules .
I think the 'Part 107' course is a US FAA qualification - it doesn't apply here in the UK.
At the end of this year, the CAA is bringing in new regulations that parallel the EASA European standards that will come into force at the same time. To do what you want to do, you will need to sit a qualification called an 'A2 Certificate of Competency' (A2 CoC). You need to research what is involved in doing that ...

Reactions: old man mavic
I think the 'Part 107' course is a US FAA qualification - it doesn't apply here in the UK.
At the end of this year, the CAA is bringing in new regulations that parallel the EASA European standards that will come into force at the same time. To do what you want to do, you will need to sit a qualification called an 'A2 Certificate of Competency' (A2 CoC). You need to research what is involved in doing that ...
Thankyou

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee