DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones and need some experienced help

Mick Tonks

Reactions
Hi guys i hope you are all well . I am new to flying drones and purchased a mavic air 2 combo . I have registered my drone paying £9 and completing the online course . I have a question to ask if I may I am aware that I am unable to fly no more than 50m close to buildings and 150m near built up areas . But what if your are stood inside the built up areas and you want to fly around a structure say operating the drone 60m away from the subject and you have buildings either side of you less than 30m away from me while taking off . The reason I'm asking is that there are plenty of footage on youtube showing city centre fly overs. Like I mentioned , I'm new to this hobby and I don't want to do something stupid due to my inexperience . Kindest regards .

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

I would suggest you can't fly in a built up area - period. Any footage taken in built up areas is going to be by pilots who have got the qualifications to do this, have permission (if needed) and have adequate liability insurance.

Unless it's not QUITE legit, of course!

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

I would suggest you can't fly in a built up area - period. Any footage taken in built up areas is going to be by pilots who have got the qualifications to do this, have permission (if needed) and have adequate liability insurance.

Unless it's not QUITE legit, of course!
hi there Thank you for your info . I know I have a lot to learn . I want to be safe and use my drone correctly . I had an idea that what you mentioned would be the case , more common sense really , but I wanted to know other people's opinions

Hi guys i hope you are all well . I am new to flying drones and purchased a mavic air 2 combo . I have registered my drone paying £9 and completing the online course . I have a question to ask if I may I am aware that I am unable to fly no more than 50m close to buildings and 150m near built up areas . But what if your are stood inside the built up areas and you want to fly around a structure say operating the drone 60m away from the subject and you have buildings either side of you less than 30m away from me while taking off . The reason I'm asking is that there are plenty of footage on youtube showing city centre fly overs. Like I mentioned , I'm new to this hobby and I don't want to do something stupid due to my inexperience . Kindest regards .

Don't make footage with the drone inside the building. You can use GoPro with a very long stick like the following link.
Mega GoPro Stick

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
The thing I most avoid is trees. Lovely looking and good for everything - except drones. Me and trees have history. Always practice flying in a big open space without trees :) The other thing to mention re buildings is that they do stuff to the wind and there are sometimes unexpected currents, so beware of getting too close to them.

The other option for filming at low level is a hand hold mount

I ordered one and it arrived today. Not have a play yet.

Hi Mick Tonks welcome to Mavic Pilots

I agree with Greekislandlover also get all the basic flying so it’s second nature before you attempt anything in the vicinity of structures / buildings. ;)
Hi there Thankyou . I am practicing on an approved model aircraft flying site so I can build my skills and confidence up ??

I am aware that I am unable to fly no more than 50m close to buildings and 150m near built up areas .

But what if your are stood inside the built up areas .

The drone would need to be 150M outside the built up area , even for take off and landing.... Now I have considered leaving someone to attend the drone and remotely taking off from that sort of distance, but when I looked at it more closely I found I could keep 50M from any given building but the drone would be well inside the 150M distance (and if I was going break the rules I might as well just launch from where I was going to control the drone from), so in the end I didn't bother. Generally unless you've got a good vantage point keeping line of sight to the done for a long distance take off and landing is going to be difficult too. (That was the bit I had solved)

The drone would need to be 150M outside the built up area , even for take off and landing.... Now I have considered leaving someone to attend the drone and remotely taking off from that sort of distance, but when I looked at it more closely I found I could keep 50M from any given building but the drone would be well inside the 150M distance (and if I was going break the rules I might as well just launch from where I was going to control the drone from), so in the end I didn't bother. Generally unless you've got a good vantage point keeping line of sight to the done for a long distance take off and landing is going to be difficult too. (That was the bit I had solved)
Hi there , it looks like I’d need more certification to fly in these types of places . Thankyou for your reply .....Mick

welcome to the forum

Hi there Thankyou . I am practicing on an approved model aircraft flying site so I can build my skills and confidence up ??

Good idea, but you don't need to go to an approved place. Just somewhere sensible that the CAA haven't restricted. If there is a technique I want to practice I go to the local park. Couple of buildings to focus on, a war memorial to focus on, a lake and some open ground. Just avoid people, dogs and trees.

The other places I tend to go to practice are if I'm out and about for work, I'll pull over somewhere quiet and scenic for half an hour.

In the UK the CAA has the say on flight restrictions also local authorities may have NO FLY zones
The PIC ( pilot in charge) has the responsibility to know this and ignorance will not be a good excuse ?
However flying in any built up area is typically banned for non commercial pilots including flying off or out of buildings, so the only way to fly within the law is to either get a pro license or fly in a open and unobstructed area away from people

Reactions: old man mavic
The thing I most avoid is trees. Lovely looking and good for everything - except drones. Me and trees have history. Always practice flying in a big open space without trees :) The other thing to mention re buildings is that they do stuff to the wind and there are sometimes unexpected currents, so beware of getting too close to them.

The other option for filming at low level is a hand hold mount

I ordered one and it arrived today. Not have a play yet.

Could not agree more with Greekislandlover. Be patient through your learning process. Fly in wide, open areas and test your skills there. Repetition is your friend except in mistakes. Start in Beginner Mode. Then perhaps Tripod mode. Learn the sensitivity settings to create a forgiving flight experience. You’ll get your experience and make some awesome videos along the way. ?

I think you will find flying a drone much easier than a RC plane or helicopter which is where I hail from. I am working on my skills now but even at that with a drone when you get into trouble or think you are, just let go of your sticks and it will just hover in place. As far as confidence is concerned.....I only worry that it will go hay wire with no control as with some of the tdradigies I have read on here so I am white knuckle trusting it.

WDK

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the drone world Mick ?
Some good advice given by members here. Only thing I would add is not to pay too much attention to footage posted on YouTube etc. Much to the disgust of us responsible drone operators, there are a great many irresponsible drone users who sadly think it is ok to ignore the rules and regulations. ?

Hi guys , a very big Thank you firstly for a warm welcome to this forum . Thank you for all your kind and understanding messages as I learn the large expanse of do s and don't s as I progress in my new hobby .

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Reactions: Mick Tonks
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City. As already mentioned flying around buildings, people is dangerous. Practice, your flying skills, research info about do's and don'ts to stay out of trouble. Drones, are not looked at favorably by the public, please be a good ambassador for the drone industry. We hope you find info shared here helpful with any issues you may have. Also, please check out Mavic Help and Mavic Tips, lots of helpful information. Let your fingers do the walking. Lots of talented pilots here from all over the world, that are willing to help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar